Old June 19th 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default DXing, Radios, Antennas, Etc. Let's Get Back on Topic.

C'mon guys, lets use this forum to discuss radio listening and dxing
of either BCB or SW, and keep the spam talk out or by direct email.
Follow the example of John Plimmer, his posts are always radio related
and very interesting, they are about the only ones I read on this
group anymore. The petty bickering needs to stop and get back on
topic.

Old June 20th 08, 03:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob, (count floyd) wrote
C'mon guys, lets use this forum to discuss radio listening and dxing
of either BCB or SW, and keep the spam talk out or by direct email.
Follow the example of John Plimmer, his posts are always radio
related
and very interesting, they are about the only ones I read on this
group anymore. The petty bickering needs to stop and get back on
topic.

Well said Bob, I too become perturbed by the increasing number of off
topic trash that now overwhelms this news group. When I first
subscribed many years ago it was full of on topic interesting radio
stuff.

As for radio, I have been DXing for 42 years and never a dull moment.
When propagation is bad and you are thinking of chucking it in,
something always comes up and reinvigorates your interest with a great
DX catch. It's true that HF SW propagation has been very bad in recent
years with the current very low sunspot number, but as sure as God
made little apples, it will come back again in full force in coming
years. So if HF is bad now, then try the MW AM band or the many
interesting things to do on LF, Although I am aware that many of you
do not have LF band on your radio's.

DXing the AM MW band has lots to offer and the low "K" index of last
year was one of the best MW seasons ever recorded worldwide in
decades. I and other fella's got many superb catches over 10,000 miles
away and I assure you that is a great thrill and well worthwhile the
effort. And you don't need top of the range gear for that as my DX pal
Gary Deacon uses a pedestrian Yaesu FRG7 analogue radio and gets
amazing results that are the envy of his peers.

I took my very old Sony 7600D to Atlanta a few years ago when I
visited my son and the great MW DX had me absorbed for hours. I was
amazed at the long distance catches I was getting. Now the relatively
cheap "ultralights" like the Eton E100 have caught the hobbyists
attention and they are having great fun with these and getting the
most astonishing catches with them.

Recent catches here in Montagu have been encouraging after what was
turning out to be a bad winter season.
In the last few days on LF band I have got:
"LH" Kamuzu International, Lilongwe, VTR Vitoria Brazil and ASN
Ascencion Isl., all excellent NDB beacon far off DX catches.
Then on AM LF were 198 Algeria, 162 Allouis France and 234 Luxembourg.
AM MW band also kept me interested, although Montagu is a very poor
location for that, but you can still get interesting catches like:
A clutch of French stations: Toulose, Bordeaux, Strasbourg and Nice.
Then "Big L" from Holland and BBC 648 from Orfordness in the UK and
1530 R. Vaticano in Italy.

Then if that doesn't keep you amused and conditions are boring you can
always listen to the hams with the hope of picking up a very far off
catch. Something interesting always pops up there as well.

During the day when the DX is not running I listen to the
International broadcasters like BBC, VOA, DW, RCI and R. Nederland and
get interesting different angles on local and international news. I
like chasing the AFN stations as well as they are a challenging catch
with their far off locations and low power transmitters. Yesterday I
was thrilled to hear AFN Pearl Harbour on 6350 loud and clear - a very
far distant catch that is my antipodes and I usually only get their 10
mHz station.

So there is always something interesting on radio 24 hours of the day
to absorb and thrill you.
Have fun and good DX

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Old June 20th 08, 10:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
wrote:

Bob, (count floyd) wrote
[...]

SNIP

The day time SW bands are weaker and poor much of the time but sunset to
sunrise the lower SW bands are very good consistently up to 41 meters.

31 meters is hit or miss from crummy to very good but is very good most
of the time. This has been the best surprise band for years now and it
pays to check this band most anytime day or night.

25, 22, and 19 meters have been generally weaker and the best times for
them are late afternoon to a couple of hours after sunset. Same thing
mornings where these bands generally pickup again a couple hours before
sunrise into early morning. These middle bands have been poor for me
most of the time middle mornings to the middle of the afternoon.

During the daytime 16 meters has been the best band where 19 meters is
hit or miss but poor a lot of the time. 19 meters is generally better
late afternoon and early mornings.

15 meters is almost always weak and this band generally does not have
much broadcast on it anyway.

13 meters has been really poor all the time and I rarely even look at
it. Only two pages of broadcasters on it to begin with in Passport.
There could be openings but with so few broadcasters on this band who
would know.

I can't think of the last time I even looked at 11 meters with zero
broadcasters listed on it in Passport.

The upshot is there is plenty going on in SW much of the time.

AMBCB has been very good but in the northern hemisphere the current
season has shorter nigh time listening hours this being summer.

The main problem with AMBCB has been the damned IBOC crapola and of
course the damned DRM crap on the lower SW bands nights is now crapping
up the currently best listening of the SW reception bands.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 20th 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

Bob, (count floyd) wrote
[...]

I can't find "meters" anywhere on my Drake. Can you translate that into
megacycles?

Old June 20th 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

ASCII wrote:
dave wrote:
While our struggle to preserve democracy in the USA may be trash to you,
it is deadly serious to those of us over here who haven't yet
surrendered to the fascists. Nobody's free until everybody's free.

Then why don't you take your 'struggle'
to a politics oriented newsgroup?

Because I couldn't find you there. We're at war.
Old June 21st 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

You wont find megacycles on your Drake either. It's been MHz for decades.
Just divide 300 by the frequency in Mhz (megahertz) to get the wavelength in
meters.
example: 300 / 9.600 Mhz = 31.25 meters ..... it's in the 31 meter SWL
band.

--
Brian Denley

Old June 21st 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brian Denley wrote:
You wont find megacycles on your Drake either. It's been MHz for decades.
Just divide 300 by the frequency in Mhz (megahertz) to get the wavelength in
meters.
example: 300 / 9.600 Mhz = 31.25 meters ..... it's in the 31 meter SWL
band.

It's very Radio Moscow.
Old June 21st 08, 05:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
dave wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

Bob, (count floyd) wrote
[...]

You mean you didn't get the Drake meter option? What a fool.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 21st 08, 09:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jun 20, 9:22*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,

*dave wrote:
Telamon wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

Bob, (count floyd) wrote
[...]

Ventura, California- Hide quoted text -

Actually some Shortwave Radios display both the
Frequency in kHz / MHz and the SW Meter Bands.

Grundig Satellit 800-M Radio hearing RNZI on 7145 kHz
and the radio reads SW 49 Meter @ 07:12 UTC

Eton E1 Radio hearing Female Spanish Numbers Station
on 5884 kHz and the radio reads SW 49 M @ 07:01 UTC