Old June 22nd 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default SWL Newbies : Hertz & kHz & MHz -versus- Shortwave Bands andWaveLengths in Meters

RHF wrote:
On Jun 21, 9:13 pm, Dave wrote:
RHF wrote:
On Jun 21, 7:23 pm, Dave wrote:
RHF wrote:
- {CraZy ****}
- Frequency and wavelength are inversely proportional.
Dave - "Inversely Proportional" -is- Sort-of-Like :
The Lower the Frequency : The Longer the WaveLength
[ Low Frequency (LF) ~ Long Waves (LW) ]
The Higher the Frequency : The Shorter the WaveLength
[ High Frequency (HF) ~ Short Waves (SW) Shortwave ]
Dave you don't have to sign-it "CraZy ****"
we all know your name ;-} ~ RHF
.

- Back on Google are we?

Dave - ? We ?

Dave - Yes 'i' am using Google.

dave - however 'i' do not know
what you are 'on' ~ RHF
.

Sometimes Pan, sometimes Thunderbird, depending on which machine and
which partition I'm on.
Old June 22nd 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jun 22, 9:14*am, Dave wrote:
RHF wrote:
On Jun 21, 9:13 pm, Dave wrote:
RHF wrote:
On Jun 21, 7:23 pm, Dave wrote:
RHF wrote:
- {CraZy ****}
- Frequency and wavelength are inversely proportional.
Dave - "Inversely Proportional" -is- Sort-of-Like :
The Lower the Frequency : The Longer the WaveLength
[ Low Frequency (LF) ~ Long Waves (LW) ]
The Higher the Frequency : The Shorter the WaveLength
[ High Frequency (HF) ~ Short Waves (SW) Shortwave ]
Dave you don't have to sign-it "CraZy ****"
we all know your name ;-} ~ RHF
*.

- Back on Google are we?

Dave - ? We ?

Dave - Yes 'i' am using Google.

dave - however 'i' do not know
what you are 'on' ~ RHF
*.

- Sometimes Pan, sometimes Thunderbird, depending
- on which machine and which partition I'm on.

I B a Dell with XPsp2 and IE7 via Google Groups
unless I have posting problems; then Thunderbird 2
seams to work as a get around.
Old June 22nd 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RHF wrote:

- Back on Google are we?
Dave - ? We ?
Dave - Yes 'i' am using Google.
dave - however 'i' do not know
what you are 'on' ~ RHF
.

- Sometimes Pan, sometimes Thunderbird, depending
- on which machine and which partition I'm on.

I B a Dell with XPsp2 and IE7 via Google Groups
unless I have posting problems; then Thunderbird 2
seams to work as a get around.
.

Everex $199 WalMart Special running Xubuntu 8.04.
Old June 22nd 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RHF wrote:
On Jun 22, 9:14 am, Dave wrote:
RHF wrote:
On Jun 21, 9:13 pm, Dave wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Pan.jpg
Old June 22nd 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default DXing, Radios, Antennas, Etc. Let's Get Back on Topic.

"Dave" wrote in message

"MC 274.3 Meter Jesus" just doesn't work.

http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm

Nobody divides the exact freq down to meters. Meters is only used to
represent given segments of the spectrum and has been used by the most
profound DXers, Hams and hobbyist since the first spark gap propagation of
electromagnetic waves shot into the aether. Geez!
--
Regards
B.H.

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/500.htm

Old June 22nd 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brian Hill wrote:
"Brian Denley" wrote in message
. ..
You wont find megacycles on your Drake either. It's been MHz for decades.
Just divide 300 by the frequency in Mhz (megahertz) to get the wavelength
in meters.
example: 300 / 9.600 Mhz = 31.25 meters ..... it's in the 31 meter
SWL band.

--
Brian Denley

"dave" wrote in message
I can't find "meters" anywhere on my Drake. Can you translate that into
megacycles?

Megacycles and megahertz are the same thing. Megacycles is old school. But
you knew that Bri. Just thought I'd mention it for the younger crowd.

Megacycles per second
Old June 22nd 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brian Hill wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

"MC 274.3 Meter Jesus" just doesn't work.

http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm

Meters is only used to
represent given segments of the spectrum and has been used by the most
profound DXers, Hams and hobbyist since the first spark gap propagation of
electromagnetic waves shot into the aether.

Monty Burns couldn't have said it better!

That "spark gap" reference is sure to pique the interest of the Ipod
generation.
Old June 22nd 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jun 22, 2:14*pm, Dave wrote:
Brian Hill wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

"MC 274.3 Meter Jesus" just doesn't work.

http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm

Meters is only used to
represent given segments of the spectrum and has been used by the most
profound DXers, Hams and hobbyist since the first spark gap propagation of
electromagnetic waves shot into the aether.

Monty Burns couldn't have said it better!

- That "spark gap" reference is sure to pique
- the interest of the Ipod generation.

Dave - Sort-of-Like : a Glimmer-of-Hope ! :-} ~ RHF
Old June 22nd 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In message , Dave
writes
Brian Hill wrote:
"Brian Denley" wrote in message
m...
You wont find megacycles on your Drake either. It's been MHz for decades.
Just divide 300 by the frequency in Mhz (megahertz) to get the
wavelength in meters.
example: 300 / 9.600 Mhz = 31.25 meters ..... it's in the 31
meter SWL band.

-- Brian Denley

"dave" wrote in message
. com...
I can't find "meters" anywhere on my Drake. Can you translate that
into megacycles?

Megacycles and megahertz are the same thing. Megacycles is old
school. But you knew that Bri. Just thought I'd mention it for the
younger crowd.

Megacycles per second

Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that, way back when it was decided
that we should use Hertz (Hz) instead of cycles per second (c/s), it was
to be only for electrical units. There was no mention of the change
applying to the vibration/oscillation of non-electrical things, so these
should have stayed in c/s. For example, the frequency of an audio signal
applied to the voice coil of a loud speaker would be in Hz. The cone
would vibrate in c/s. However, Hz now seems to be applied universally.
--
Ian
Old June 23rd 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:

RHF wrote:

- Back on Google are we?
Dave - ? We ?
Dave - Yes 'i' am using Google.
dave - however 'i' do not know
what you are 'on' ~ RHF
.
- Sometimes Pan, sometimes Thunderbird, depending
- on which machine and which partition I'm on.

I B a Dell with XPsp2 and IE7 via Google Groups
unless I have posting problems; then Thunderbird 2
seams to work as a get around.
.

Everex $199 WalMart Special running Xubuntu 8.04.

Cray XT5.

I'll bet mine's quieter.