Old June 23rd 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default DXing, Radios, Antennas, Etc. Let's Get Back on Topic.

RHF wrote NOTHING on topic in a thread about being on topic...

USA English Stardard System -versus- The-Rest-of-the-World
which uses the Metric System.

==========================
It shall be lawful throughout the United States of America to employ the
weights and measures of the metric system; and no contract or dealing,
or pleading in any court, shall be deemed invalid or liable to objection
because the weights or measures expressed or referred to therein are
weights or measures of the metric system.

As a result, the U. S. has been "metric" since 1866, but only in the
sense that Americans have been free since that time to use the metric
system as much as they like.

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/usmetric.html
===========================

--
Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage, this filter
blocks all postings from Gmail, Google Mail and Google Groups.

http://improve-usenet.org/
Old June 23rd 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

That generation has difficulty finding North America on a map.

--
Brian Denley

"Dave" wrote in message
Brian Hill wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

"MC 274.3 Meter Jesus" just doesn't work.

http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm

Meters is only used to represent given segments of the spectrum and has
been used by the most profound DXers, Hams and hobbyist since the first
spark gap propagation of electromagnetic waves shot into the aether.

Monty Burns couldn't have said it better!

That "spark gap" reference is sure to pique the interest of the Ipod
generation.

Old June 23rd 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default SWL Newbies : Hertz & kHz & MHz -versus- Shortwave Bands and WaveLengths in Meters

In article ,
Dave wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:

RHF wrote:

- Back on Google are we?
Dave - ? We ?
Dave - Yes 'i' am using Google.
dave - however 'i' do not know
what you are 'on' ~ RHF
.
- Sometimes Pan, sometimes Thunderbird, depending
- on which machine and which partition I'm on.

I B a Dell with XPsp2 and IE7 via Google Groups
unless I have posting problems; then Thunderbird 2
seams to work as a get around.
.
Everex $199 WalMart Special running Xubuntu 8.04.

Cray XT5.

I'll bet mine's quieter.

It all liquid cooled with the fans outside so it's pretty quiet.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 23rd 08, 05:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Brian Denley" wrote in message
That generation has difficulty finding North America on a map.

Or their ass with both hands...

Old June 23rd 08, 08:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jun 22, 3:43*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,

*Dave wrote:
RHF wrote:

- Back on Google are we?
Dave - ? We ?
Dave - Yes 'i' am using Google.
dave - however 'i' do not know
what you are 'on' ~ RHF
*.

- Sometimes Pan, sometimes Thunderbird, depending
- on which machine and which partition I'm on.

- - - I B a Dell with XPsp2 and IE7 via Google Groups
- - - unless I have posting problems; then Thunderbird 2
- - - seams to work as a get around.

- - Everex $199 WalMart Special running Xubuntu 8.04.

- Cray XT5.
-
- --
- Telamon
- Ventura, California

Dang a Cray XT5 . . . I am impressed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cray_XT5

by 'opteron' you say ~ RHF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Opteron

Old June 23rd 08, 08:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jun 22, 6:47*pm, m II wrote:
RHF wrote NOTHING on topic in a thread about being on topic...

USA English Stardard System -versus- The-Rest-of-the-World
which uses the Metric System.

==========================
It shall be lawful throughout the United States of America to employ the
weights and measures of the metric system; and no contract or dealing,
or pleading in any court, shall be deemed invalid or liable to objection
because the weights or measures expressed or referred to therein are
weights or measures of the metric system.

- As a result, the U. S. has been "metric" since 1866,
- but only in the sense that Americans have been free
- since that time to use the metric system as much
- as they like.
- http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/usmetric.html
===========================

The USofA the Land of the Free :
Be It Measured in Feet and/or Meters ~ RHF

Remember the Metric System's use was stread during the
Rule of Napoleon, and many people called him a Tyrant.
http://www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac...asurement.html
http://www.claremont.org/publication...cle_detail.asp
Old June 23rd 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:

RHF wrote:

- Back on Google are we?
Dave - ? We ?
Dave - Yes 'i' am using Google.
dave - however 'i' do not know
what you are 'on' ~ RHF
.
- Sometimes Pan, sometimes Thunderbird, depending
- on which machine and which partition I'm on.

I B a Dell with XPsp2 and IE7 via Google Groups
unless I have posting problems; then Thunderbird 2
seams to work as a get around.
.
Everex $199 WalMart Special running Xubuntu 8.04.
Cray XT5.

I'll bet mine's quieter.

It all liquid cooled with the fans outside so it's pretty quiet.

Can it run all day for a quarter?
Old June 24th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Dave wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:

RHF wrote:

- Back on Google are we?
Dave - ? We ?
Dave - Yes 'i' am using Google.
dave - however 'i' do not know
what you are 'on' ~ RHF
.
- Sometimes Pan, sometimes Thunderbird, depending
- on which machine and which partition I'm on.

I B a Dell with XPsp2 and IE7 via Google Groups
unless I have posting problems; then Thunderbird 2
seams to work as a get around.
.
Everex $199 WalMart Special running Xubuntu 8.04.
Cray XT5.

I'll bet mine's quieter.

It all liquid cooled with the fans outside so it's pretty quiet.

Can it run all day for a quarter?

I don't pay the electric bill.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 24th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:

Can it run all day for a quarter?

I don't pay the electric bill.

Wrong. We ALL pay the Electric Bill.

mike

Old June 24th 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I'm still trying to figure out how a cycle became a hertz. A cycle is
a noun, or it could be a verb. Hertz was a fellah.

bob
k5qwg

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 18:08:45 -0700 (PDT), RHF
wrote:

On Jun 21, 3:31*pm, "SWL-2010" wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

SWL-2010 wrote:

If you listen to shortwave long enough you don't have to do division.

I've been listening long enough to know that broadcasters themselves are
moving away from "meterband" type gewgaw.

Well, to be blunt and to make sure I exercise my right to free speech and
expression, I think anyone who listens to shortwave that doesn't "get"
something as simple as a meterband is actually pretty damned stupid. *I've
never heard anyone protest something so intrinsic to the hobby. *You can
have the last word. I have a feeling you will continue to press your
meaningless point until you do get the last word.

- [A shortwave listener who doesn't understand
- what a meterband is, now I've heard it all].

For the Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL) Newbies,

Hertz & kHz & MHz -versus- Shortwave Bands
and WaveLengths in Meters {Metres}
* Hertz - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertz
* kHz - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilo_Hertz_%28KHz%29

The basic 'relative' concept of Frequency, Radio Waves
and Wave Length as a function of each other. Goes to
the Core-of-Understanding the Radio (RF) Bands and
being a Shortwave Band Radio Listener (SWL).
* Radio Frequency - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_frequency
* Radio Waves - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_waves
* WaveLength - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavelength
* Shortwave Bands - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortwave_bands
* Meters - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meters {Metres}

For Those Who Want To Do-the-Math here is a simple
to use "Frequency to Wavelength (WL) Calculator"
http://www.csgnetwork.com/freqwavelengthcalc.html
Plus Shortwave (SW) Meter Band to Frequency Range Table

About - Shortwave Radio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortwave

About - High Frequency (HF) Radio Frequencies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_frequency

About - Medium Frequency (MF) Radio Fequencies (RF)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_frequency
-aka- Medium Wave (MW) Radio Band -or- the AM
Radio Broadcast Band (BCB)
* Medium Wave or MediumWave (MW)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_wave
* AM Broadcasting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM_broadcast

one reader at a time - building basic understanding of the
shortwave radio listening hobby - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
.
Are You Interested in building a better Shortwave Listening*
(SWL) Antenna ? {SWL Group} = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
.
RHF's Standard "Shortwave Radio Listener (SWL) Antennas Group"
Reference Message Signature-Line = http://tinyurl.com/25zbrg
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...1dac3b4a1798e0
.
* Remember 55.5% of Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL)
is the Shortwave Antenna =http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
.
RHF's Radio Shack in Twain Harte, California -USA-
SHACK INFO =http://tinyurl.com/2skmxm
Shortwave Radio / Receiver and SWL Antenna Info
.
-=2SKMXM=-
-=25ZBRG=-
SWR3:SWL:INFO