Old June 26th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Best AM MW portable since sliced jerky

One rough and ready comparison (a Kaito 2100 and a PR-D5) has the PR-D5
winning narrowly on clarity and noise rejection on reception of metropolitan
AM stations (Toronto, Canada) from where I live (roughly 90 miles NE with a
variety of geographic and electrical barriers between, including the major
distribution lines of Ontario Hydro). FWIW..., not a DX test.

My only complaint about the PR-D5 is that the sound is bass heavy and there
are no tone controls. On the other hand, I know for a fact that my
sixty-something hearing is beginning to go on the high end.

wrote in message
Sangean PR-D5 - another portable that some are claiming is the best
thing
since George Washington hit town. One is even claiming that it
surpasses the
Kaito KA2100/Redsun RP2100/CC Crane SW as far as AM MW reception is
concerned. See specs and reviews at:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pr_product_top
and
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7051

At $100 a pop compared with a Redsun RP2100 also at $100, I find it
hard to
believe that the Sangean will outperform a RP2100 on MW AM. The only
thing
that beats the RP2100 is the venerable old classic RF2200 and that's
as
scarce as hens teeth now.

It also doesn't have keypad frequency entry and no shortwave which the
RP2100 has. Does have RDS though.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx