Old July 1st 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default AOR AR3030.

Nice receiver. got one here, wouldn't part with it. i just
can't believe some one on ebay just paid $1750.00 for a used
one. and from the pictures; it looked well used. wow, i paid
less than $500 for a new one awhile back. maybe, i'm in the
wrong business.

Drifter...

--
"Regulatory capitalism is when companies invest in lawyers, lobbyists,
and politicians, instead of plant, people, and customer service."
Old July 1st 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Drifter wrote:
Nice receiver. got one here, wouldn't part with it. i just
can't believe some one on ebay just paid $1750.00 for a used
one. and from the pictures; it looked well used. wow, i paid
less than $500 for a new one awhile back. maybe, i'm in the
wrong business.

Drifter...

I had a 3030, as well. Very nice. Not the greatest dynamic range.
Would probably overload like a sumbitch in Europe. But here in the
Midwest, it handled the available signals pretty well.

I was surprised at how small it was. I'd first run across it in the
Gilfer catalog. Without reference, it looked to be a pretty average size
tabletop. Was quite surprised to find that it was about half the size I
expected.

What I liked most about it was it's amazing versatility. Features and
functions found on much more expensive sets.

I spent hours a day listening to that radio. There are times I miss it.

Then, again, AR3030 wouldn't stand toe to toe with my AR7030, so, I
can't really complain. But, in the right hands, I'd recommend this radio
without hesitation.

Old July 1st 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D Peter Maus wrote:
Drifter wrote:

I had a 3030, as well. Very nice. Not the greatest dynamic range. Would
probably overload like a sumbitch in Europe. But here in the Midwest, it
handled the available signals pretty well.

I was surprised at how small it was. I'd first run across it in the
Gilfer catalog. Without reference, it looked to be a pretty average size
tabletop. Was quite surprised to find that it was about half the size I
expected.

What I liked most about it was it's amazing versatility. Features and
functions found on much more expensive sets.

I spent hours a day listening to that radio. There are times I miss it.

Then, again, AR3030 wouldn't stand toe to toe with my AR7030, so, I
can't really complain. But, in the right hands, I'd recommend this radio
without hesitation.

Hi Peter. not knocking it. brought mine back from the UK long time ago.
i like it a bunch. it was the main work horse here till i got the
RX-350. i use the 350 as the all, receiver/ most used. BTW, if you don't
have, and may have wanted that certain crystal filter for the 7030,
AOR-UK has them in stock again. after i believe 2 years, AOR-Japan
released their supply. got one here in my 7030+. i figure, with the
7030 ending, they are clearing out the stock. and, i wouldn't mind
having a second 3030 for the collection, but, i won't pay $1750 for
it. i could surely find one over seas for a lot less than that.

GOOD DX!
Drifter...

Old July 1st 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Drifter wrote:
D Peter Maus wrote:
Drifter wrote:
D Peter Maus wrote:
Drifter wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the tip on the filter. I'll look into that.

RX-350, eh? Yeah, I've got one of those, too. Love it.

Peter. your the one that recommended the 350 on the group, about 2
or 3 years ago. on your lead i got one at close out from Universal.
good deal, nice receiver. first one that gets turned on here. only
prob is the SAM. wish it would hold lock a little better. TT blames
the software. whatever. it a good receiver. and i love the keypad/
encoder.

Drifter...

Well, I'm flattered.

I don't use the keypad/encoder....well, I did once...just too
decadent to have the rig across the room, like that.

You're aware that the tension on those big knobs is adjustable. You
can even brake it. Hold the knob, twist the silver ring. Makes for a
nice, personal knob feel.

SAM isn't as stable as I like, either. Good. Could be better. But,
the rig is solid. Definitely a keeper.

Old July 1st 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Junior Member

Yes, that is an absurd price -- perhaps the winner
put in a high Esnipe price and got nailed for it.

But it DOES have the original box! Sold one I
recently acquired for $900.

Old July 1st 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D Peter Maus wrote:
Drifter wrote:
D Peter Maus wrote:
Drifter wrote:
D Peter Maus wrote:
Drifter wrote:

[...]

that knob set is great. i always like a slow knob, gives it a little
feel. oh , it's a keeper alright. i like the sweep too. sometimes
comes in handy. never know what you might dig out. have a good one.

GOOD DX!
Drifter...

Old July 1st 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Drifter wrote:
D Peter Maus wrote:
Drifter wrote:
D Peter Maus wrote:
Drifter wrote:
D Peter Maus wrote:
Drifter wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I have a good one.

I just need to use it once in a while.

Old July 12th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D Peter Maus schrieb:

I had a 3030, as well. Very nice. Not the greatest dynamic range.
Would probably overload like a sumbitch in Europe. But here in the
Midwest, it handled the available signals pretty well.

In fact, the importer here in Germany (Bogerfunk) offered an improved
"IP-plus" (also called IP+) version with better dynamic range.

Another weak point apparently was the power supply, at least the one
supplied here, seemingly causing interference on the lower frequency
regions.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
Studenten sind leidgeprüft - irgendwann ist man es leid, geprüft zu
Old July 12th 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Stephan Grossklass wrote:
D Peter Maus schrieb:

I had a 3030, as well. Very nice. Not the greatest dynamic range.
Would probably overload like a sumbitch in Europe. But here in the
Midwest, it handled the available signals pretty well.

In fact, the importer here in Germany (Bogerfunk) offered an improved
"IP-plus" (also called IP+) version with better dynamic range.

Another weak point apparently was the power supply, at least the one
supplied here, seemingly causing interference on the lower frequency
regions.

Now, I didn't have that problem.

I recall something about 3030's being offered with an improved
dynamic range. Have you worked one? If so, how was it?

AR3030 (2) on eBay justice Shortwave 1 October 19th 06 08:18 AM
FS: AOR AR3030 general coverage receiver [email protected] Swap 0 July 8th 06 11:50 PM
FS AOR AR3030 W. Charles Alexander Shortwave 0 August 17th 04 12:54 AM
FA AR3030 Rigali5 Shortwave 11 April 14th 04 06:57 PM
AOR AR3030 vs ICOM R71A Rigali5 Shortwave 1 April 6th 04 07:44 AM