Old August 4th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Used Radio Choices?

I thought that the 700 was a Philips design, like the 600 and 650. None of
these receivers have audio quality like the old German designed Satellit
receivers. When you listen to a Satellit 210, 1000, 2000, 2100, 3000, and
3400 you are reminded of the sound that the old Grundig Majestic tube
consoles had.
These older units also were more sensitive, and had better IMD rejection.
The Satellit 800 was actually an R.L. Drake design, very similar to the
Drake SW-8. The Satellit 800 has much better performance than the Satellit
700...................when it works. The problem with the Satellit 800 is
that as Brenda Ann mentioned, because of the very poor quality control it is
a hit or miss game of finding a good one.
In contrast, I still have the Satellit 210 that I bought 30 years
ago...........no problems with this one. My wife is the new owner of the
210, and she listens to it almost every day.......for the last 14 years.
That radio uses an RF amplifier on the MW and SW bands that has an ft of
600MHz, with a 3 or 4dB noise figure. That is almost unheard of in the
portable radio that was sold in 1970. The trimmer capacitors are the high Q
ceramic types that you typically see in Hewlett Packard test equipment.
Collins Radio Company also used these types of trimmers in their radio
equipment, so it gives you an idea of how well designed these older German
Satellit radios were.

Pete

"Drifter" wrote in message
Brenda Ann wrote:
wrote in message
Hi,
I am comparing two radios: a Grundig Satillite 700 or a Grundig
Satillite 800. Assuming both are in good shape which is the better
choice?
Thank you,
Mike

The 700 was the last Grundig radio actually MADE by Grundig, and the
build quality and QC are much better.

I'm with Brenda on that. it also has that Grundig sound.

Drifter...

Old August 4th 08, 06:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I, too, am a fan of the older Grundigs, both tube and SS. I have a
Transistor 1000 (Satellite 304?) that is the pride of my portable
collection. The sensitivity is awesome, as is the sound. I had another of
these many years ago that my boss at a repair shop gave me (abandoned by
customer). It needed a new speaker and new output transistors. A testament
to Grundig design, it sounded great even with a cheap 4x6 replacement
speaker and a pair of ECG102A's as replacements. I had that one for a number
of years until I came upon hard times and had to sell it.

Old August 4th 08, 08:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 3, 7:16*pm, wrote:
Don't be worried.Take two mornings and call me in the asparin,
everything will be alright.
How are things in Louisville? I spent two months at Fort Knox, but I
liked to go to Elizabethtown (ETown) evenings rather than Louisville.
cuhulin

Huh? I'd feel like **** if I took two mornings and then called me in a
aspirin? All in fun. You crack me up at times.
Old August 4th 08, 08:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 3, 9:11*pm, Mike wrote:
On Aug 3, 7:16 pm, wrote:

Don't be worried.Take two mornings and call me in the asparin,
everything will be alright.
How are things in Louisville? I spent two months at Fort Knox, but I
liked to go to Elizabethtown (ETown) evenings rather than Louisville.
cuhulin

Things are warm and muggy along the Ohio. E'town has gotten much
larger in the past ten years. What year were you in Kentucky? Probably
back toward the sixties, right? Major changes everywhere...

Mike
Louisville, KY

Mike. Cincinnati, Ohio here. I won't hold it against you that you are
from the Ville' and I am from the Nati'. ;-) I am in Louisville
(unfortuantely) four times a week. I will be a Papa Johns (if I
remember correctly) this season for the UC/Ville' gridiron
matchup. :-)

Old August 4th 08, 08:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Drifter" wrote in message

Brenda Ann wrote:
wrote in message
Hi,
*I am comparing two radios: a Grundig Satillite 700 or a Grundig
Satillite 800. *Assuming both are in good *shape which is the better
choice?
Thank you,
Mike

The 700 was the last Grundig radio actually MADE by Grundig, and the
build quality and QC are much better.

I'm with Brenda on that. it also has that Grundig sound.

Drifter...- Hide quoted text -

Good post Pete. I didn't know that about the 210.

Old August 4th 08, 08:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Drifter" wrote in message

Brenda Ann wrote:
wrote in message
Hi,
*I am comparing two radios: a Grundig Satillite 700 or a Grundig
Satillite 800. *Assuming both are in good *shape which is the better
choice?
Thank you,
Mike

The 700 was the last Grundig radio actually MADE by Grundig, and the
build quality and QC are much better.

I'm with Brenda on that. it also has that Grundig sound.

Drifter...- Hide quoted text -

Forgot to ask. Can you maybe throw a link for that particular piece.
I'd appreciate it. Tx.
Old August 4th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

www.shopgoodwill.com for bargains galore.
cuhulin

Crap auction site like the other one... no bargains there.

Old August 4th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Recommendations for a 1ST Shortwave Radio

And though it greatly worries me to agree twice in one day with
Cuhulin, he's also right about looking in thrift stores. I just found
a fully functional Realistic DX-150A for $15 in a local thrift store.

Mike
Louisville, KY

Sheeeiit... never happen around here. Never got anything in a thrift store
yet. They got greedy too... "Oh, we sell all our good stuff on Epay." That's
the exact answer I got when I inquired about radios. Before I told the bitch
to go po**** herself, I left. Never been back.

Rich

Old August 5th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I discovered that Satellit 210 back in 1970..........it is a good receiver.
I once repaired a Sat 700 for a friend of mine.................almost all of
the chips in that radio are Philips radio chips. Not a bad radio, but deaf
on the MW band, when you compare it to the older Satellit radios.

Old August 5th 08, 08:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 4, 9:42*pm, "Pete KE9OA" wrote:
Oh sure...........this link should answer all of your questions:

http://www.classic-worldband.com/

Pete