Old August 3rd 08, 10:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Used Radio Choices?

Hi,
I am comparing two radios: a Grundig Satillite 700 or a Grundig
Satillite 800. Assuming both are in good shape which is the better
choice?
Thank you,
Mike
Old August 3rd 08, 01:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I think most people would say the Grundig Satelite 800 is the better of
the two.
cuhulin

Old August 3rd 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
Hi,
I am comparing two radios: a Grundig Satillite 700 or a Grundig
Satillite 800. Assuming both are in good shape which is the better
choice?
Thank you,
Mike

The 700 was the last Grundig radio actually MADE by Grundig, and the build
quality and QC are much better.

Old August 3rd 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brenda Ann wrote:
wrote in message
Hi,
I am comparing two radios: a Grundig Satillite 700 or a Grundig
Satillite 800. Assuming both are in good shape which is the better
choice?
Thank you,
Mike

The 700 was the last Grundig radio actually MADE by Grundig, and the build
quality and QC are much better.

I'm with Brenda on that. it also has that Grundig sound.

Drifter...
Old August 3rd 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I don't own a Grundig Satelite 700 or 800 radio, so I really don't
know.I do own a made in Germany wooden cabinet floor model (I think it
is a Majestic model radio) Grundig (I think it was made by Telefunken)
AM/FM/Shortwave/Phonograph radio which I believe was made around 1957.I
also own a made in Germany wooden cabinet Telefunken Opus 7 table model
AM/FM/Shortwave radio (a beautiful looking radio) which I believe was
made in the late 1950s or early 1960s.I paid $14.00 for the Grundig
radio and $4.00 for the Telefunken radio years ago at a Goodwill store.
www.shopgoodwill.com for bargains galore.
cuhulin

Old August 3rd 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I have owned both and I agree with John and Cuhulin. The 700 has
better quality control, but the sync design leaves a lot to be
desired. I believe the radio was made for Grundig in Portugal. The 800
was made in China (at the Tecsun production facilities) and quality
control was an issue, particularly in the earlier radios. If you can
find a good 800, however, it's a better radio for SWLing and DXing.
The large speaker on the 800 is unsurpassed for audio quality. It's
too big to really be considered a portable. Both radios go for good
amounts on eBay, but the 800 will usually go for more than a 700, in
the range of $350 to $400. The 700 usually goes for $250 to $300.

And though it greatly worries me to agree twice in one day with
Cuhulin, he's also right about looking in thrift stores. I just found
a fully functional Realistic DX-150A for $15 in a local thrift store.

Mike
Louisville, KY

On Aug 3, 2:22�pm, wrote:
On Aug 3, 11:41�am, wrote:

Hi,
� I am comparing two radios: a Grundig Satillite 700 or a Grundig
Satillite 800. �Assuming both are in good �shape which is the better
choice?
Thank you,
Mike

I have never owned these radio's, but did have a Sat 700 for test for
a while against a Sony 2010. The Sony ran rings around it due to the
700's poor SW sensitivity and very mediocre sync detector.

OTOH I have never seen a Sat 800 here in South Africa, but do own a
Drake SW8 which I have for some years. The innards of the Sat 800 are
based on the SW8, so I would suggest it is a top notch choice as
Cuhulin states. However, do you know that it is a HUGE radio, several
times larger than a Sat 700?

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Old August 4th 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Don't be worried.Take two mornings and call me in the asparin,
everything will be alright.
How are things in Louisville? I spent two months at Fort Knox, but I
liked to go to Elizabethtown (ETown) evenings rather than Louisville.
cuhulin

Old August 4th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 3, 7:16�pm, wrote:
Don't be worried.Take two mornings and call me in the asparin,
everything will be alright.
How are things in Louisville? I spent two months at Fort Knox, but I
liked to go to Elizabethtown (ETown) evenings rather than Louisville.
cuhulin

Things are warm and muggy along the Ohio. E'town has gotten much
larger in the past ten years. What year were you in Kentucky? Probably
back toward the sixties, right? Major changes everywhere...

Mike
Louisville, KY
Old August 4th 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I was at ammo school at Fort Knox, October and November 1963, getting
ready to go to Vietnam.Some evenings when I was bored I used to catch a
bus from Fort Knox to Elizabethtown and go to Newberrys department store
for chipped beef on toast.Then I would walk over to a milkshake joint by
the name of Moooooo for a milkshake and then take in a movie.Radcliffe
is another little town I remember.
cuhulin

Old August 4th 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Recommendations for a 1ST Shortwave Radio

On Aug 3, 2:22 pm, wrote:

On Aug 3, 11:41 am, wrote:

[...]

Kiwa MW Loop.http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx- Hide quoted text -

Two Recommendations for a 1ST Shortwave Radio :

For a First Shortwave Radio : I would recommend the
Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium Radio as nice to Listen
to using the built-in Speaker and very easy to understand
and use for a Newbie. {Used}
http://www.dxing.com/rx/sat800.htm

The 'other' would be the Sony ICF-SW7600GR 'portable'
AM/FM Shortwave Radio. {New}
http://www.dxing.com/rx/icfsw7600gr.htm
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0360.html

Both have AM-Syncs that work and are very good Program
Listening Radios; though the Sony could use an external
Speaker for a little better sound.

~ RHF