Old August 10th 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Move Am's to channels 5&6?

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Art Harris" wrote in message
A group made up primarily of broadcast
consulting engineers proposes a new use for TV Channels 5 and 6 in the
United States once their occupants migrate to digital. It recommends
the
reallocation of part of that spectrum for the use of the country's AM
stations.

Many rural areas of the country are dependent on 50kw clear channel AM
stations for basic news and entertainment. 75MHz AM stations aren't
going to cut it.

The clear channels don't generally cover much that is not covered by
dozens
of FMs in and around each market the 25 original 1 A clears today. At
night,
the AM channels have so much interference that they don't cover much that
is
not covered by FMs, too. And in any case, night radio listening is very
low... about 10% of all radio listening. So saying people are dependent
on
the clear channel stations when, in fact, there is scant listening to
stations outside their metro areas, is exaggeration. There is some, but
it
is almost statistically insignificant today.

You are so full of it Eduardo.

I invite you to talk to any group manager in radio. I can't imagine any of
them saying anything different, because we all live by the same metrics and
information and sales realities.

Old August 10th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 9, 7:14�pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Drifter" wrote in message

news
wrote:

I wouldn't say overcrowded, it more conditions. 30 years ago, night-
time was all about the clears, and most local were low power at night.

There is practically no difference in night operation of AM in either
quantity or power of stations between 1978 and today.

Same problem with IBOC - the FCC could mandate the radios into cars,
but no one buys radios, anymore - moving the AMs would antiquate
hundreds-of-millions old analog radios, and no one would notice, or
care. Radio is dying, no mattter what is done - stocks are in the
****ter, layoffs are everywhere, and stations are being sold for
fractions of original prices. Terrestrial radio is dying, and nothing
will stop the bleeding.
Old August 10th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 9, 7:25*pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:

[...]

Almost 50% of radio listening is done in cars - almost zero at home.
Old August 10th 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Art Harris" wrote in message
[...]

I invite you to buy a radio and listen to it.

I can't imagine any of them saying anything different, because we all
live by the same metrics and information and sales realities.

You live in a reality of your own making.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old August 10th 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"KaitoWRX911" wrote in message

The clear channels don't generally cover much that is not covered by
dozens
of FMs in and around each market the 25 original 1 A clears today. At
night,
the AM channels have so much interference that they don't cover much that
is
not covered by FMs, too. And in any case, night radio listening is very
low... about 10% of all radio listening. So saying people are dependent on
the clear channel stations when, in fact, there is scant listening to
stations outside their metro areas, is exaggeration. There is some, but it
is almost statistically insignificant today.

Almost 50% of radio listening is done in cars - almost zero at home.

The truth is that in-car averages about 30%, with the low being around 24%
in New York City and the highs in long-commute markets like LA where it is
around 32%. At work and in home account for a bit over a third each.

Old August 10th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message

I can't imagine any of them saying anything different, because we all
live by the same metrics and information and sales realities.

You live in a reality of your own making.

It's the reality of our entire industry.

Old August 10th 08, 08:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

I can't imagine any of them saying anything different, because we all
live by the same metrics and information and sales realities.

You live in a reality of your own making.

It's the reality of our entire industry.

No, it the reality of your imagined industry.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old August 10th 08, 01:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message
I can't imagine any of them saying anything different, because we all
live by the same metrics and information and sales realities.

You live in a reality of your own making.

It's the reality of our entire industry.

The "reality" of your "industry" is that when you try to run it like a
factory you ruin the product. You make crap because you have no idea
what you're doing. You forget the intangibles and let the number
crunchers pick the songs. You have no one to blame but yourselves.

Bust a move! [email protected] Policy 0 October 26th 05 01:47 AM
How do you move boatanchors around? Ed Boatanchors 17 July 20th 05 02:28 AM
Help - must move w3cqh Digital 0 November 30th 04 08:03 PM
Help - must move w3cqh Digital 0 November 30th 04 08:03 PM
FCC Provides Spectrum to allow AMT move from 1.7 GHz. R J Carpenter Broadcasting 0 October 31st 04 03:24 AM