Old September 24th 08, 07:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default The Problem With Hybrid Digital

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

Fact: IBOC radio sales are in the dumpster- nobody cares.

The fact is that HD was never budgeted by radio for immediate income or
ratings. It is very low cost in the top 100 markets, and some of the niche
and third party formats are actually starting to produce some small income.

It's evolutionary, not revolutionary.

Fact: There are millions of radio listeners who do not live inside a city
contour and yet still listen to the radio. Even in places where there is
a local rural station (i.e. Richfield, UT, home of KSVR), many listen to
'out of market' radio in Provo, Orem, and even Salt Lake City.

KSVR is in Washington, not Utah. KSVC is in Utah. This is another of your
almost-right pieces of data, like saying a 50 kw station in Portland was 5
kw.

There are 13 stations in the Richfield non-market, meaning roughly 50 miles
around. That is hardly a paucacity of signals. In general, you really
underestimate the number of decent signals available outside of rated
metros.

Example: in the early 60's northern Leelenau County, MI, had two daytime
signals, both AM, it could get except during storms and under power lines.
At night, nothing closer than Chicago an Detroit came in. Now, there are
over a dozen stations with city grade, 70 dbu, FM coverage and two AMs with
5 mv/m or better signals daytime.

You can not get any more rural than Leelenau County.

Fact: AM radio is still a primary service in a great many areas,
especially rural areas, throughout the country. I know that these people
mean nothing to you bean counter types.. but for anyone else, anyone who
is important, these people count.

In most cases, the AMs are dying due to excessive Docket 80-90 FMs with more
coverage. Like Blythe, CA, where KYOR handed back the AM licence and kept
the FM one since the AM did not get out enough to cover the agricultural
area up and down the Colorado.

Fact: Those of us over 50 still have more disposable income than most
folks in your precious 18-35 demo. This is because we don't have to worry
about raising a family, paying a mortgage (most of us have long since paid
that off) or paying for our kids' college. Those who are 50 still have,
on average, another 17 years of productive work and another decade or more
after that of life wherein a great many will wish to have a comfortable
life with all the niceties. In other words, we have over a quarter of a
century of consumerism. We buy things. We DO buy things that are
advertised on the radio and television (cars, beverages, radios and
televisions, nutritional supplements, exercise gear, etc.).

Ad agencies are specifically instructed by their clients as to the
demographics of advertising placed for them. 55+ is essentially never used
in radio, as the return on investment is poor or negative. It simply takes a
lot more adds and repetition for an older person to make a change in buying
patterns, and that often eats up the entire profit on a sale.

Until you begin to recognize that all these folks exist, and that they
count, and that they have everything to offer, then you cannot expect
anyone to believe anything you say, or have any form of respect for you.

The fact that there is no revenue for stations catering to 55+ comes from
the marketing departments of the companies that use ad agencies or have
their own ad departments. Stations can not program for an audience that
advertisers do not want.

In other words, this is not my decision, it is not radio's decision. It is
the fact that agencies are instructed to buy certain ages and radio, a
relatively small medium, can not change that.

That's
just the way it is. If you don't like that pointed out to you, then you
always have the option of taking your speil to someone that would be more
receptive to it (like the IBOC consortium).

I'm not in the HD Alliance, and disagree with its marketing and focus...
which is why we have some HD channels that are actually working.

Old September 25th 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

The facts are available to radio and the advertising community: AM at
most
gets about 20% of listening, and in most markets it is in the 10% to 15%
range, and the majority... that is, over half... is over 55 years of age
and, thus, not of much if any interest to advertisers.

SNIP

This is way better then you are doing. 0% of the people that read RRS
believe you.

That's because some are living the anachronism that is SW radio, and apply
the idea that SW is still alive to AM radio.

No, it because you are full of it.

There are no facts to support your case.

All you have is your imagination, which needs more work.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 25th 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Drifter" wrote in message
dxAce wrote:

C'mon... give 'Eduardo' some credit, after all he does (or at least he
says he
does) have a GED.

And, he has pretended to own some radio stations at one time.

and the question is, "is that GED printed in English"?

Yes, it is from Arizona. My HS diploma is from Ecuador, though, and not
accredited in the US.

Credibility has been a life long problem you.

No, credibility has not been a problem for me. It's a problem for you and
dxAss and Brenda and a couple of others, who don't know fact from fiction.

I see that only YOU are right and EVERYONE else is wrong. You don't see
a problem with that?

I, frankly, find this amusing. It is like the "tentadero" I went to
occasionally in Ecuador; a tentadero is a "gentle" bullfight where
there are no swords and picas and one can wave a cape in front of
rather docile, old bulls for a few minutes. Olé.

I can see that you find BS'ing people as amusing. No greater thrill than
pulling the wool over people eyes right Eduardo?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 25th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

Fact: IBOC radio sales are in the dumpster- nobody cares.

The fact is that HD was never budgeted by radio for immediate income or
ratings. It is very low cost in the top 100 markets, and some of the niche
and third party formats are actually starting to produce some small income.

It's evolutionary, not revolutionary.

SNIP

Go sell your carp someplace else. There is nothing forward looking about
IBOC. It is old technology, and worse (if that is possible) it's
misapplied in the AM band.

IBOC is really not much different than you, old, reactionary, misapplied
to the problem at hand.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 25th 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Drifter" wrote in message
dxAce wrote:

C'mon... give 'Eduardo' some credit, after all he does (or at least he
says he
does) have a GED.

And, he has pretended to own some radio stations at one time.

and the question is, "is that GED printed in English"?

Yes, it is from Arizona. My HS diploma is from Ecuador, though, and not
accredited in the US.

Go to http://www.davidgleason.com/1973-1975-E.htm and click on the
hyperlinks in the text "GED" an "Score" and "Dean's List" for proof.

The GED deans list! Hilarious! Good one Eduardo you made my day.

Of course, that is not what I said. Step 1, GED. Step 2, pass with a very
high score and gain admission to ASU. 3. Get a 4.0 average at ASU school of
business. 4. Be placed on ASU Dean's list each semester for said average.

Follow the link. Otherwise, you say very dumb things.

Follow the yellow brick road.

Step one, lie.
Step two, repeat lie.
Step three, the first lie didn't go over well so make up another one.
Step four, keep repeating the second lie.
Step five, that didn't work either so change the subject.
Step six, harass the people that don't believe your lies.
Step seven, make up another lie.
Step eight, repeat the third lie.
Step nine, argue with the people that don't believe your lies.
Step ten, and so on ...

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old September 25th 08, 12:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 24, 10:21*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,
*"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Drifter" wrote in message
dxAce wrote:

[...]

Ventura, California- Hide quoted text -

Telamon,
That was pretty good. :-) In all seriousness - did you just make that
up or is that an old one I just missed? I copied and pasted that - I
will use it in the future. Thanks! :-D
Old September 25th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Radio: The U.K.'s Digital death notice"

"Ferrara came out of hiding this week to fallaciously proclaim that HD
radio-only stations – those that you can hear only on an HD Radio
receiver - are writing business and making money... Reality check: HD
Radio isn’t going to bill anything – period."

http://tinyurl.com/33mtuo

These HD channels will never bill anything, and will never show upo in
Arbitron ratings
Old September 26th 08, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
BCBlazysusan wrote:

On Sep 24, 10:21*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,
*"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
.
..
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Drifter" wrote in message
dxAce wrote:

[...]

Some of Eduardo must have rubbed off on me as I just made it up.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 26th 08, 12:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 25, 9:54*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

*BCBlazysusan wrote:
On Sep 24, 10:21*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,
*"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
.
..
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Drifter" wrote in message
dxAce wrote:

[...]

Hey Telamon....lol....I kept looking through the thread to see if you
responded to me. For some reason it cracked me up to the point that I
reread it a couple of times, funny part is when I read it again this
morning it made me laugh even more. Kinda weird IMO - perfect post I
suppose at 'my' perfect time. I did copy and paste it and sent it to
word pad for my own mental note and I'll throw it at the wifey
sometime today...lol. Just know even though at times you are somewhat
dry and redundant at times you cracked someone up on RRS. :-D

Old September 27th 08, 06:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
BCBlazysusan wrote:

On Sep 25, 9:54*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

*BCBlazysusan wrote:
On Sep 24, 10:21*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,
*"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in
message
.
net.
..
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Drifter" wrote in message
dxAce wrote:

[...]

I thought I would try something else other than to argue with the news
group brick wall. If nothing else at least you were amused by it.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California