Old July 30th 09, 04:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Mike, maybe this will make you feel better.

Looks like the House feels he was born in Hawaii. now, can we
pleas get back to shortwave?

Drifter...

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 05:18:50 -0400, Ubiquitous
wrote:

“The 44th President of the United States, Barack Obama, was born in

Hawaii”:
So resolved the House of Representatives yesterday, by a 378-0 vote.

The
broader purpose of the nonbinding resolution was to assert that the

House
“recognizes and celebrates the 50th Anniversary of the entry of

Hawaii into
the Union as the 50th State.” That’s typical: Such anodyne

resolutions almost
always pass by unanimous vote, or with a lone dissent from the

eccentric Rep.
Ron Paul, who was not present yesterday.

But a “controversy” has arisen over President Obama’s birthplace. We

use those
scare quotes advisedly, because there’s no real dispute over the

matter, just
some nuts with a conspiracy theory, a handful of Republican

lawmakers who have
been either foolish or fearful enough to lend some credibility to

the theory,
and Democrats who have spotted an excellent opportunity to make the

GOP look
foolish.

Liberal Blogger Greg Sargent, his glee unconcealed (“Okay, this is

getting
really good”) and entirely justified, explains that the resolution

“seems
designed to put House GOPers who are flirting with birtherism in a jam”:

[It] confronts House GOPers with a choice: They can vote for
the measure, and endorse the idea that Obama was born in Hawaii,
which could earn the wrath of birthers. Or they can vote against
commemorating the 50th state’s joining of our blessed Union. Or
GOPers can skip the vote, but that could look nutty.

“Far be it from us to try to stir things up,” Helfert said
puckishly. “The president was born there, so what are you
gonna do? Not mention it?”

Heh.

Heh indeed--though we should point out that the ostensible

birth-symps who
voted for the bill deserve at least a smidgen of credit for risking

“the wrath
of birthers.”

Will the House resolution satisfy the birthers? Don’t hold your breath.
Conspiracy theories are by nature unfalsifiable, since all evidence

against
them is recast as evidence of the conspiracy’s breadth and

effectiveness.
Birthers may alight on the provision of the resolution noting that

“the first
Native Hawaiian member of Congress, Prince Jonah Kuhio

Kalaniana‘ole, . . . .
and the first Native Hawaiian to serve in the Senate, Daniel

Kahikina Akaka,”
were from Hawaii. Why, the birthers may demand, doesn’t it mention

the first
native Hawaiian president, Barack Obama, or the first native

Hawaiian senator
from Illinois, also Barack Obama? (For that matter, Bruce Springsteen

_says_
he was born in the USA, but _where’s the evidence?_)

Birthers may also point out that the Abercrombie resolution is

nonbinding. But
Congress ruled on this question in a binding way already, when it

approved
Obama’s election in January. If there had been a genuine question

about the
president-elect’s eligibility, that would have been the time to

raise it.

Lamentably, being targeted by conspiracy theories seems to have

become an
occupational hazard of being president--and, as Politico notes,

managing the
theorists a hazard of belonging to the opposite party:

Out-party politicians have long had to deal with conspiracy
theorists on their side — the people who think that the Clintons
killed Vince Foster or that the Bush administration helped
orchestrate the Sept. 11 attacks.

“Twenty-five percent of my people believe the Pentagon and
Rumsfeld were responsible for taking the twin towers down,”
said Rep. Collin Peterson, a Democrat who represents a
conservative Republican district in Minnesota. “That’s why
I don’t do town meetings.”

But the birther phenomenon may present a bigger challenge--a
potent blend of race and politics, fueled by conservative TV
and radio pundits, and played out in a day when all that stands
between a town hall meeting and Web omnipresence is a $100 flip
cam.

Politico isn’t the only media outlet to suggest that birtherism is

racially
motivated. In a New York Times piece, Phil Griffith, president of the
ultraliberal MSNBC network, justifies what the paper calls his

network’s
“recurring coverage” of the so-called controversy:

Mr. Griffin said the claims were legitimate to cover “in that
there’s a segment of our population that believes this and
keeps bringing it up.”

“It’s racist,” Mr. Griffin said. “Just call it for what it is.”

Is birtherism racist, or substantially so? Our impression is that it

is not.
We receive a fair amount of email from Obama-haters. Only a small

portion of
it has racial overtones, and we do not recall ever having received

an email
that was both racist and birtherist. There does seem to us to be a

connection
between birtherism and anti-Muslim bigotry--but while the latter is

a form of
invidious prejudice, it is not based on race.

Liliana Segura of AlterNet.org, in an 2,800-word article titled

“Racism Is the
Prime Cause for Debunked Obama Birth Certificate Conspiracy Theory,”

fails to
deliver a single shred of evidence that birtherism is racially

motivated. Her
article mostly consists of hackneyed assertions to the effect that the
Republican Party is “largely built on structural racism.”

It would not surprise us if there does turn out to be a racist

strain among
the birther fringe. After all, birthers are lunatics and racists are

lunatics.
It does not follow, however, that all lunatics are racists.

Does conservatism breed rampant ignorance and stupidty or does rampant
ignorance and stipidity breed conservatism?8??88
Old July 30th 09, 06:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 30, 11:11*am, Drifter wrote:
Looks like the House feels he was born in Hawaii. now, can we
pleas get back to shortwave?

Drifter...

Drifter,

By all means. Forgive me if I occasionally lash out the crazy
"birthers" making their daily pronouncements regarding the President's
ineligibility for office.

Does conservatism breed rampant ignorance and stupidty or does rampant
ignorance and stipidity breed conservatism?8??88

The two are hardly mutually exclusive.

Anyone still denying Obama is a US citizen is using the Constitution
to masquerade their own blatant racism. Not even RHF is that crazy.
Cuhulin, Barry, ObamaMao, etc., however, clearly qualify as
sufficiently insane.

Mike
Louisville, KY
Old July 30th 09, 07:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Mike wrote:
On Jul 30, 11:11 am, Drifter wrote:
Looks like the House feels he was born in Hawaii. now, can we
pleas get back to shortwave?

Drifter...

Drifter,

By all means. Forgive me if I occasionally lash out the crazy
"birthers" making their daily pronouncements regarding the President's
ineligibility for office.

Mike
Louisville, KY

Mike, no need for any forgiveness. i know how you feel about this.
just don't let the crazies, and the BS artist get under your skin.
most normal people know most of these post are BS. what bothers me
is these poster's believe this crap. or, they hang on every word
the radio crazies spout. just put them in the bit bucket like i do.
i don't want to be the only sane poster on this board.

Drifter...
Old July 30th 09, 09:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Michael W. Bryant, the academic dufus who once claimed to have a PhD, wrote:

On Jul 30, 11:11 am, Drifter wrote:
Looks like the House feels he was born in Hawaii. now, can we
pleas get back to shortwave?

Drifter...

Drifter,

By all means. Forgive me if I occasionally lash out the crazy
"birthers" making their daily pronouncements regarding the President's
ineligibility for office.

Does conservatism breed rampant ignorance and stupidty or does rampant
ignorance and stipidity breed conservatism?8??88

The two are hardly mutually exclusive.

Anyone still denying Obama is a US citizen is using the Constitution
to masquerade their own blatant racism. Not even RHF is that crazy.
Cuhulin, Barry, ObamaMao, etc., however, clearly qualify as
sufficiently insane.

Insanity is lying about having a PhD.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Drake R7, R8, R8A and R8B
70' and 200' wires

239 countries heard and 224 QSL'd (veried, for those in Glendale) using the
NASWA Country List.

And, as always, don't let your children attend the Sullivan College of
Technology & Design.

They've hired at least one dufus who once claimed to have a PhD, and who
knows, there may be more dufi there.