Old August 5th 09, 10:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Antenna Options - Way Too Many!!! Help Needed Please

On Aug 4, 6:19*am, Brian Anasta wrote:
On Aug 4, 4:39 am, "~ RHF" wrote:

BA - Most 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios
can't take to big {long} of an Antenna or Active
{Amplified} Antennas.
Versus the MFJ-1020B Active Antenna -consider-http://universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1131.html
LF Engineering H800 Skymatch Active Antenna
-why- An "Outside/Outdoor" Active Antenna is
generally preferred to an 'Indoor' Active Antenna
because in most locations most of the time it
will provide clearer strong signals with less noise.
-result- Better Signal-to-Noise (S/N) Ratio from
the Antenna Output to the Radio's Antenna Input.

Dear RHF, SC Dxing and Bushcraftgregg,

Now, after checking on several of the
links provided, AS well as grabbing myself a couple of books from the
local library (the superb Shortwave Listening Guide Book, authored by
Harry Helms is a must have for beginners I believe)

That's the way to do it Brian, that is exactly what
I did when I started. I went to the Barnes & Noble
store and picked up the "Passport to World Band
Radio" and a issue of Popular Communication
and Monitoring Times and read like a mad man
and started reading this newsgroup.

have several queries. Firstly, I am concerned that if I settle on the
active antenna, AM I at risk of picking up much more noise and
interference?

You have to tell us a little more to help. What is your
setup like? By that, I mean - do you have a home
or apartment? Do you have access to any tall trees
etc. etc.

Secondly, if *I instead choose the external wire type of
antenna, isn't there a much greater chance of problems and issues due
to extensive overhead high voltage powerlines in my area? The more I
read, the more confused I become....arghhhh heh.

Read - read- read. The best part of the hobby IMO
(other than getting a new receiver) is maintaining
my antennas or putting up a new one.

Just start with throwing twenty feet of wire outside
and go from there. I don't have any experience with
the Kaito that you referenced too before, so I don't
know if a long length of wire will overload your receiver or not, but
you'll easily be able to tell if it
does.

Thanks so much guys and sorry for being a painful newbie at all this,

We were all newbies at one time. :-)

Old August 5th 09, 10:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 4, 7:30*am, Krypsis wrote:

Too right Brian. I'm considering dragging my old Yaesu FRG7700 out of
mothballs and firing it up with a longwire connected.

Good deal Krypsis, maybe something good came
out of something bad. :-)

I have a long
block of land away from those nasty power lines and will get a really
good signal here.

I am somewhat lucky in that I live wayyy out in
the country so I have never had the problems
that many have spoke about in here. But there is
always (99% of the time IMO) a solution, no matter
your setup.

I used to use a Yaesu FRA7700 active antenna with it.
It was OK on the higher frequency bands but lacked a bit at the lower
end of the spectrum. It probably needs retrimming.

I've never really owned an active antenna, I wouldn't
mind have one though. The closest I have to it is
the old Radio Shack Amplified antenna which works
well but not really needed out here.

I wouldn't mind getting hold of a Yaesu FRG8800 in good condition as
they can interface with my computer here.

I'm hoping to one day be able to do that, interface
a receiver with my computer. I've read the pros and
cons of it, but I think the pros outweigh the negatives.