Old August 21st 09, 09:22 PM posted to alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,rec.radio.shortwave,alt.news-media,alt.religion.christian,alt.politics.economics

Default Whose Medical Decisions?

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 14:19:20 -0400, Beam Me Up Scotty wrote:

Michael Coburn wrote:
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:39:39 -0400, Beam Me Up Scotty wrote:

wrote:
On Aug 19, 10:47 pm, "Brenda Ann" wrote:
I want to know what is so difficult about reading a 1000 page,
double spaced, single sided bill, when your kid can read 1000 pages
of Harry Potter in under a week (double sided pages, in much smaller
print, and single spaced). And BTW, it's their JOB to read these
bills. We don't pay them to make stupid remarks on television.
That is not what I learned from my high school Social Studies
teacher. We were taught that the House and Senate were subdivided
into committees. Legislators were expected to be expertly
knowledgeable only about the bills reported out of their committees,
not all bills. The "READ THE BILL!" rablle rouserrs are just
displaying their own stupidity and ignorance.
Why have them all vote, if they have no clue what they are voting for?
It would be suffecient to have those "expertly knowledgeable only
about the bills" vote for the entire congress......

The representatives of the people do not need to read the legal version
in order to be fully aware of what is in the bill. The American people
should also have a PLAIN TALK version of the bill. The "expertly
knowledgeable are on the committees that draft the bill and haggle out

This is what the Church did to elevate it's self above the common
people. Latin was used to exclude the people.... Now you want our
government to become elitist, when the Constitution was written it was
plan text that we all could understand. It had to be to be ratified and
accepted by the people.

We do not live in a direct democracy and most of us do not want to live
in a direct democracy. We elect REPRESENTATIVES as our AGENTS who have a
responsibility to act in our best interests. Those representatives will
organize the legislative process so as to accomplish the true aim of
representation. That is part of the job they have before them. We the
people WANT to be informed on particular acts of legislation and this
health reform legislation is one of those situations. We want the
representatives and the people to know what is in any bill that would
accomplish health care reform of any kind. The focus on "read" the bill
is whacky just as you have indicated. The legalese is not "plain talk"
and cannot be "plain talk" if it is to be supported in the courts.
Understanding what is in the bill does not require a diploma in legalese.
It requires a LEGAL staff that is true to the representative and a
representative that is true to his/her constituency.

what is in the bill in the committees. The market up version is then
ready for debate and amendment. The knowledge of what is in the
version "reported out" of the committee and of all the proposed
amendments are the responsibility of the caucus that will assign
different staff members and House members to each such task in order to
produce a more intelligible shorter version of the legalese.

--
"Those are my opinions and you can't have em" -- Bart Simpson