Old August 28th 09, 03:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default European Shortwave Bands In Cars

Can any one here tell me what the SW / LW / MW / FM band limits are
for European cars. I'm in Australia. We have a large public perception
that radio is only on AM or FM. SW or LW doesn't get on the radar
scope here.

Needless to say AM radios produced for cars destin for here are
usually 521 - 1602 khz with 9khz spacing. FM the usual 87.5 - 108.

These days we have a growing awareness of a special little part of the
band we use for Narrowband Area Services. These aren't technically
though of as broadcasting services and are 400 watts. Car radio people
have moved to accomodate this and car radios in the last few years are
becoming common that go up to 1701khz in 9khz spacing. Not 10 like the
US.

Also it has come to my attention that Mercedese 4WD's M Class have
radios in them that do SW / LW / MW / FM in them. They are driving
around our streets in Australia. I would say it's probably just the
European model.

Does any one here know the exact specs on these radios? Where do the
bands start and stop for their parts of the world? It would be really
interesting to know what freqs on SW they can get too.

Regards

From downunder
Old August 28th 09, 09:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Station X" schreef in bericht
Does any one here know the exact specs on these radios? Where do the
bands start and stop for their parts of the world? It would be really
interesting to know what freqs on SW they can get too.
Regards
From downunder

I don't know anyone with a shortwave radio in the car. Here in the
Netherlands there are also hardly carradio's with longwave since there are
no Dutch longwave stations on the air. In France and the UK you however may
find more longwave radio's in cars, but by far most carradio's also here
only have AM and FM, with the AM-band running from 520-1602 khz. And more
and more carradio's even only have FM. There are company's in Western Europe
that sell carradio's with shortwave for truckdrivers, but in general you
won't find a shortwave radio built into a car.

Herbert Visser

Old August 31st 09, 05:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Thanks guys. We have some models of Mercedes 4 WD's running around
with LW MW SW FM in them. Do you think I can get info on them?
Stopping short of becoming a nuisance at the car yards!

I'm not sure if you guys are across the rules here in Australia. But
if they have a radio in them that gives them acess to the SW Tropical
Bands you would be set. The bands used for Tropical are able to be
used for HF Domestic Services. 2.3 and so on up to 5 mhz. This would
be nice as the license would cost you a wopping 38 bucks a year. With
no limit (other than your own silliness) on what power you can have.
Then pop them up all over the place.

I'd like to find out the aerials on these vechiles too. I'd hope I can
run these services in NVIS mode so the need for massive ground mats is
avoided.

Old August 31st 09, 01:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Station X wrote:
Thanks guys. We have some models of Mercedes 4 WD's running around
with LW MW SW FM in them. Do you think I can get info on them?
Stopping short of becoming a nuisance at the car yards!

I'm not sure if you guys are across the rules here in Australia. But
if they have a radio in them that gives them acess to the SW Tropical
Bands you would be set. The bands used for Tropical are able to be
used for HF Domestic Services. 2.3 and so on up to 5 mhz. This would
be nice as the license would cost you a wopping 38 bucks a year. With
no limit (other than your own silliness) on what power you can have.
Then pop them up all over the place.

I'd like to find out the aerials on these vechiles too. I'd hope I can
run these services in NVIS mode so the need for massive ground mats is
avoided.

Nobody listens to AM radio. Ask 'Dwardo.
Old August 31st 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Don't think that's quite right some how?

Old August 31st 09, 10:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 28, 7:52*am, Station X wrote:
[...]

From downunder

It appears that "www.jackys.com" in the UAE
no longer carries Auto/Car Shortwave Radios.
Old August 31st 09, 10:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

[...]

From downunder

Becker CR-21
AM/FM/SW/LW, Shortwave Bands 19/22/25/31/41/49,
http://www.continentalimports.com/cr21.html
Shortwave Bands 19m 22m 25m 31m 41m 49m

Shortwave [SW] Frequency -translation- eTon Corp.
http://www.etoncorp.com/shortwavetutorial
49 m = 5.950-6.200 MHz = 5,950-6,200 kHz
41 m = 7.100-7.600 MHz = 7,100-7,600 kHz
31 m = 9.200-9.900 MHz = 9,500-9,900 kHz
25 m = 11.600-12.200 MHz = 11,600-12,100 kHz
22 m = 13.570-13.870 MHz = 13,570-13,870 kHz
19 m = 15.100-15.800 MHz = 15,100-15,800 kHz
Old September 1st 09, 09:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Station X wrote:
[...]

From downunder

Car radio's with LW/MW or even AM are rare in Europe. I own a vintage
Suzuki LJ80 that has MW, but that's a set from 1981

--
RigReference.com - Reference guide for ham radio equipment
http://rigreference.com/
Old September 3rd 09, 01:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Very interesting guys thank you. Seems it's an old thing. Might be
worth getting it over hauled now for DRM. Imagine that!