Old September 5th 09, 08:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default DX Season!

I've always figured that the North American DX Season kicks off with Labor
Day.

So now is the time to get those antenna projects up in the air for the
2009-2010 DX Season!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old September 5th 09, 08:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:
I've always figured that the North American DX Season kicks off with Labor
Day.

So now is the time to get those antenna projects up in the air for the
2009-2010 DX Season!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

I'm still trying to magnetize the Sun.
Old September 6th 09, 06:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 5, 3:18*pm, dxAce wrote:
I've always figured that the North American DX Season kicks off with Labor
Day.

So now is the time to get those antenna projects up in the air for the
2009-2010 DX Season!

Steve, do you still use those beverage antennas?

I remember seeing pics of it but it's been years
ago. If so, how high off the ground are/were
they?
Old September 6th 09, 01:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

Bushcraftgregg wrote:

On Sep 5, 3:18 pm, dxAce wrote:
I've always figured that the North American DX Season kicks off with Labor
Day.

So now is the time to get those antenna projects up in the air for the
2009-2010 DX Season!

Steve, do you still use those beverage antennas?

I remember seeing pics of it but it's been years
ago. If so, how high off the ground are/were
they?

Still using the 70' and 200' wires, transformer matched, They are 9' off the
ground using treated 4" x 4" x 12' posts sunk 3' in the ground.

They've been up for about eight years now I think.

Contemplating putting up either some inverted vee's or an Alpha Delta sloper so
that I might get somewhat better results out of South America.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

The sloper's a great low-angle antenna, it likes a top-loaded support if
it can get it.
Old September 6th 09, 03:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dave wrote:
dxAce wrote:

Bushcraftgregg wrote:

On Sep 5, 3:18 pm, dxAce wrote:
[...]

Ace, i'm with Dave. not being the expert, or experience you have under
your belt here. tried a number of inverted V's. makes a nice limited
space antenna. pro-wise, not as good as a long wire. believe me, i tried
a bunch of different set-ups. the sloper works great. quiet too. but,
i'm sure you already know that. have fun.

Drifter...

Old September 7th 09, 12:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 6, 4:58*am, dxAce wrote:
Bushcraftgregg wrote:
On Sep 5, 3:18 pm, dxAce wrote:
I've always figured that the North American DX Season kicks off with Labor
Day.

So now is the time to get those antenna projects up in the air for the
2009-2010 DX Season!

Steve, do you still use those beverage antennas?

I remember seeing pics of it but it's been years
ago. If so, how high off the ground are/were
they?

Still using the 70' and 200' wires, transformer matched, They are 9' off the
ground using treated 4" x 4" x 12' posts sunk 3' in the ground.

They've been up for about eight years now I think.

Contemplating putting up either some inverted vee's or an Alpha Delta sloper so
that I might get somewhat better results out of South America.

Yeah, I remembered after I posted that they
were wires. I remember the pics, I'd like to have
that setup going north, but the topography won't
allow it.

I can go east to west and to south with no problem.
I'm sure you know that I use the AD sloper and like
Dave and Drifter said it is a very good antenna,
extremely quiet.

You don't even have to get it very high, but because
of my lack of a north setup, I put mine up extremely
high. Once I did that I noticed the difference on my
signals to the north, a bonus add - on for that antenna is that it's a
great on the BCB also.
Old September 7th 09, 12:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bushcraftgregg wrote:

On Sep 6, 4:58 am, dxAce wrote:
Bushcraftgregg wrote:
On Sep 5, 3:18 pm, dxAce wrote:
[...]

I wasn't sure about getting the longer AD sloper that covers MW but was more
interested in the slightly shorter one. I think I might be able to fit the longer one
into my scheme, but I'll have to measure.

Plans here would be to mount it 25-29 feet high.

Hopefully it would help me with South America, a continent that I've long neglected,
but still with a relative wealth of stations.

Would like to have my lot here much wider as I've used up to 1000' feet to South
America on DXpeditions years ago, but I'm limited to 85' N-S and 462' W-E.

The one thing about long lengths of wire is the amount of 'presence' it lends to a
signal. Hard to describe, but once one hears it, one doesn't soon forget it!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old September 7th 09, 12:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

The one thing about long lengths of wire is the amount of 'presence' it lends to a
signal. Hard to describe, but once one hears it, one doesn't soon forget it!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Space diversity on a single antenna.
Old September 7th 09, 01:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 6, 7:19*pm, dxAce wrote:
Bushcraftgregg wrote:
On Sep 6, 4:58 am, dxAce wrote:
Bushcraftgregg wrote:
On Sep 5, 3:18 pm, dxAce wrote:
[...]

Well, I remember your yard, pretty big IMO....maybe
not in diameter but in length. You definitely have
plenty of room. With those two wires and a sloper
basically of any kind, you'll definitely have another
great option.

I hope you do it, it would be pretty cool to see what
you report back with. I know I can hear S. America
fine, but I also have mine facing that way for a
purpose. Let us know if you decide to pull the trigger.
Old September 22nd 09, 10:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

Bushcraftgregg wrote:

On Sep 5, 3:18 pm, dxAce wrote:
I've always figured that the North American DX Season kicks off with Labor
Day.

So now is the time to get those antenna projects up in the air for the
2009-2010 DX Season!

Steve, do you still use those beverage antennas?

I remember seeing pics of it but it's been years
ago. If so, how high off the ground are/were
they?

Still using the 70' and 200' wires, transformer matched, They are 9' off the
ground using treated 4" x 4" x 12' posts sunk 3' in the ground.

They've been up for about eight years now I think.

Contemplating putting up either some inverted vee's or an Alpha Delta sloper so
that I might get somewhat better results out of South America.

I'm going to experiment here with an Eavesdropper dipole that I have stored in the
basement. I've never been totally impressed with this antenna but think I'll put it
up as a sloper. Mounting height will be 25' sloping down to 9', with a direction of
about 150 degrees to South America.

We'll see how it plays.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

'Tis the Season dxAce Shortwave 4 November 22nd 05 09:29 AM
DX Season dxAce Shortwave 28 November 18th 05 01:09 AM
DX Season [email protected] Shortwave 0 November 16th 05 01:37 AM
A04 Season N8KDV Shortwave 5 April 15th 04 04:48 AM
DX Season....at last! Twistedhed CB 13 October 6th 03 12:59 AM