Old December 3rd 09, 02:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Selective Fading leaves KFI Unlistenable in North L. A. County

New tower doesn't seem to work at night.
Old December 5th 09, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 3, 6:33*am, dave wrote:
New tower doesn't seem to work at night.

Hi Dave,monitoring KFI right now 1851 on friday 5.
I am in Oxnard and KFI has a very heavy fade, very unusal for the
station at anytime.
I was not aware the they turned on the new tourch.
DW
oxnard ca
Old December 5th 09, 12:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

oldradioguy09 wrote:
On Dec 3, 6:33 am, dave wrote:
New tower doesn't seem to work at night.

Hi Dave,monitoring KFI right now 1851 on friday 5.
I am in Oxnard and KFI has a very heavy fade, very unusal for the
station at anytime.
I was not aware the they turned on the new tourch.
DW
oxnard ca

I always used the sync detector or SSB ECSS to listen to it, so the
fading was much less an issue. Since you have to get both sidebands to
cancel out the IBOC, I can't use sync detection, because my SW2, just
like a Sony 2010, can only sync to one sideband at a time.

Luckily, KKOH 780 comes in great at night, and they don't have IBOC.
Same for KGO 810.
Old December 5th 09, 06:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Dobbs wrote:
dave wrote:
oldradioguy09 wrote:
On Dec 3, 6:33 am, dave wrote:
New tower doesn't seem to work at night.
Hi Dave,monitoring KFI right now 1851 on friday 5.
I am in Oxnard and KFI has a very heavy fade, very unusal for the
station at anytime.
I was not aware the they turned on the new tourch.
DW
oxnard ca

I always used the sync detector or SSB ECSS to listen to it, so the
fading was much less an issue. Since you have to get both sidebands to
cancel out the IBOC, I can't use sync detection, because my SW2, just
like a Sony 2010, can only sync to one sideband at a time.

Luckily, KKOH 780 comes in great at night, and they don't have IBOC.
Same for KGO 810.

I haven't tried KFI with the DSB SyncDet on the E1 yet, usually listen during
the day when their HD signal eliminates the hiss, between QSB induced HD loss.
What time of the evening does KGO turn off their HD-IBOC jammer?
I usually listen to Ray Taliaferro overnight on the Icom on USB without problem.

Being a Citadel station, it only uses IBOC during daylight hours, to
avoid jamming other Citadel stations after dark (where they rule North
America, pretty much.) Ray T. does a good show. We need more live and
local. Can you get KOA 850?
Old December 6th 09, 12:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Dobbs wrote:
dave wrote:
Can you get KOA 850?

Denver?
yes, occasionally,
otherwise the line of sight La Poderosa XEMO 860 desensitizes it.

They have a local all night show.

Old December 7th 09, 02:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dave wrote:
[...]

I always used the sync detector or SSB ECSS to listen to it, so the
fading was much less an issue. Since you have to get both sidebands to
cancel out the IBOC, I can't use sync detection, because my SW2, just
like a Sony 2010, can only sync to one sideband at a time.

[...]

Yes, true. You need full DSB desired and undesired information in
order to cancel the IBOC junk.

When a sync detector uses phasing to cancel one sideband or the
other, it cancels only _interference_ in that sideband. It does
_not_ cancel that sideband of the desired signal -- since the Q
channel contains essentially no audio from the desired signal.

So you are _always_ listening to _both_ sidebands of the desired AM
or DSB signal, even when listening in the synchronous LSB or
synchronous USB mode.

But if the IBOC sidebands are transmitted in quadrature (meaning 90
degrees out of phase) with the AM carrier, and I seem to recall that
they are, then you're right -- you'd have to listen to the I channel
detector _without phasing_ in order to cancel them out. And the Sony
2010 unfortunately won't allow you to do that.

With all good wishes,

Kevin, WB4AIO.

Selective fading renders nighttime IBOC big failure Brenda Ann Shortwave 8 September 16th 07 01:10 PM
Fading on 31m running dogg Shortwave 2 March 12th 05 04:25 PM
Brother Stair Leaves WBCQ Mike Terry Shortwave 7 June 30th 04 09:30 PM
Swiss Radio International leaves SW in October - 500 kW transmitter for sale! Mike Terry Shortwave 12 March 11th 04 03:04 AM
News Flash, McDonald's Widow leaves $200M to Hal Turner! Dr. Artaud Shortwave 3 November 10th 03 01:37 AM