Old December 19th 09, 07:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Fantastic BCB Catch Tonight

I copied WGBB 1240AM at 1:45am

From the info I gathered this station tx just 1,000 watts. :-)

I was using my GE P-780 with a loop made by D.Schmarder {sp} on my
lazy susan but I didn't fully copy the signal completely till I sat my
Radio Shack loop on the opposite side and tuned a little off the sweet
spot and then barely touched my bigger Penta-Loop and there it was
with nothing else in there.

I listened for almost ten minutes and then decided to call the radio
station and let them know and the guy got a kick out of it and gave me
a "shot out" on the radio when he went back on the air.

Pretty exciting and not bad for the old GE P-780, my modded DX394
hooked up to my AD DX Sloper couldn't even copy it. I hear another
station trying to get in there so I think I'm going to keep it parked
right here and see as the night goes on if another station pops in.
Thanks Brenda Ann:-)
Old December 19th 09, 02:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Gregg wrote:
I copied WGBB 1240AM at 1:45am

From the info I gathered this station tx just 1,000 watts. :-)

I was using my GE P-780 with a loop made by D.Schmarder {sp} on my
lazy susan but I didn't fully copy the signal completely till I sat my
Radio Shack loop on the opposite side and tuned a little off the sweet
spot and then barely touched my bigger Penta-Loop and there it was
with nothing else in there.

I listened for almost ten minutes and then decided to call the radio
station and let them know and the guy got a kick out of it and gave me
a "shot out" on the radio when he went back on the air.

Pretty exciting and not bad for the old GE P-780, my modded DX394
hooked up to my AD DX Sloper couldn't even copy it. I hear another
station trying to get in there so I think I'm going to keep it parked
right here and see as the night goes on if another station pops in.
Thanks Brenda Ann:-)

From where? Graveyard channels are a very special kind of BCBDX. It
takes a lot of skill and patience.
Old December 19th 09, 06:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 19, 12:20*pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:
Gregg wrote:

I was using my GE P-780 with a loop made by D.Schmarder {sp} on my
lazy susan but I didn't fully copy the signal completely till I sat my
Radio Shack loop on the opposite side and tuned a little off the sweet
spot and then barely touched my bigger Penta-Loop and there it was
with nothing else in there.

You think all those loops were doing more enhancing the signal,
nulling the competition, or a combination of both?
In any case that's fun stuff playing with loops to dither reception,
I never used more than two at a time myself.

--

Operator Bob
Echo Charlie 42

Greg. Did you tell where your receiver was located? I didn't know
Schmarder was selling loops. I bought some litz off of him. Does he
have a website?

Loops are cool. I've got a big air loop. I've run across a dude
named stormwise and he sells some long ferrite rods. That's my next
project. If anybody wants more info on rods then ask.

NEO

Old December 20th 09, 01:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

WGBB Radio Station AM 1240 Long Island,New York.
Long Island's oldest Radio Station.
cuhulin

Old December 20th 09, 04:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

N9NEO wrote in news:db60029a-4e85-4242-9fa3-
:

Gregg wrote:

I was using my GE P-780 with a loop made by D.Schmarder {sp} on my
lazy susan but I didn't fully copy the signal completely till I sat my
Radio Shack loop on the opposite side and tuned a little off the sweet
spot and then barely touched my bigger Penta-Loop and there it was
with nothing else in there.

You think all those loops were doing more enhancing the signal,
nulling the competition, or a combination of both?
In any case that's fun stuff playing with loops to dither reception,
I never used more than two at a time myself.

--

Operator Bob
Echo Charlie 42

Greg. Did you tell where your receiver was located? I didn't know
Schmarder was selling loops. I bought some litz off of him. Does he
have a website?

http://makearadio.com/

I've seen Dave's collection of custom-made crystal radios and loops at
local hamfests. He's an excellent craftsman. He doesn't have a specific
"product line" - he just builds whatever strikes his fancy.

His web site has many project ideas, links to parts suppliers etc.

Old December 20th 09, 07:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 19, 8:10*pm, Lopez Gomez wrote:

I've seen Dave's collection of custom-made crystal radios and loops at
local hamfests.

Have you really? Did you get to meet him by chance? I'd really like to
try
some of his radio and regen receivers, that would be a blast.

He's an excellent craftsman. He doesn't have a specific
"product line" - he just builds whatever strikes his fancy.

No doubt, he did a fantastic job on mine. What first caught me was
the look of the loop, I was hoping though that it worked as well as
it looked and it got to me without being killed in transit. Here is a
pic
of it. Scroll down to the "Five Sided Loop" - he named it "Penta-
Loop."
http://makearadio.com/loops/loops2.php

Old December 20th 09, 07:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 19, 6:25*am, dave wrote:

*From where? *Graveyard channels are a very special kind of BCBDX. *It
takes a lot of skill and patience.- Hide quoted text -

I don't know about the skill part Dave but it definitely takes
patience. I would find myself at times kind of wrinkling my
forehead, know what I mean? Almost like squinting but
not, then catch myself and relax.

I know this one guy who has the P780 and he really has
his tricked out. One of the mods is he added a earphone
jack to his, that would definitely be a nice add on feature
to have.

Why do you say it's a very special kind of DX? I know there
is more hash and stations fighting to get in there if that's what you
mean.
Old December 20th 09, 07:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 19, 9:20*am, Bob Dobbs wrote:
Gregg wrote:

I was using my GE P-780 with a loop made by D.Schmarder {sp} on my
lazy susan but I didn't fully copy the signal completely till I sat my
Radio Shack loop on the opposite side and tuned a little off the sweet
spot and then barely touched my bigger Penta-Loop and there it was
with nothing else in there.

You think all those loops were doing more enhancing the signal,
nulling the competition, or a combination of both?
In any case that's fun stuff playing with loops to dither reception,
I never used more than two at a time myself.

There was a guy who use to post in here named Ron Hardin if I
remember correctly. I was fascinated in reading posts when
he spoke of BCB DXing. Apparently he had two antennas
outside that he could control.

That's where I got curious as to what would happen if anything
if I were to use two loops inside and on my turntable.

Answering your question, I would say both "at times." It seems
if I had to pick one it would be the nulling of but sometimes it will
enhance the crap out of a station, like last night, I just had more
hash than anything to contend with last night till I found that one
particular setting and that was it - - if I would have barely turned
my table in either direction or touched any of the loops I wouldn't
have been able to hear it - - it would have been gone like a fart in
the wind.

That's where like David said is the patience part.
Old December 20th 09, 07:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 19, 6:25*am, dave wrote:
Gregg wrote:
I copied WGBB 1240AM at 1:45am

From the info I gathered this station tx just 1,000 watts. :-)

[...]

I missed this the first time. You said "from where".....meaning
my QTH? Cincinnati, Oh. aka The Nati'

Old December 20th 09, 08:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 19, 10:43*am, N9NEO wrote:
Greg. *Did you tell where your receiver was located?

Indeed. I told him The Nati'.

*I didn't know
Schmarder was selling loops.

Yeah, he isn't anymore sadly. He was ten years ago
though. I know Dave isn't hurting for money ( I would think)
but I'm sure if he was offered an inordinate amount of money
he may consider it.

*I bought some litz off of him. Does he
have a website?

Yeah, I know he sells all kinds of "how bout' thats." I definitely
appreciated him doing that loop in red litz instead of just enamelled
wire. Yes he does have a website, actually its changed I noticed
today ..... and changed for the good - - find the link I left in this
same thread and you'll see it.

Loops are cool. *I've got a big air loop. *I've run across a dude
named stormwise and he sells some long ferrite rods. *That's my next
project. *If anybody wants more info on rods then ask.

Yes, they definitely are.:-) I'd love to have one or two more. I have
the one from Dave. I have two of the Radio Shack loops and another one
that is made from PVC. It's painted with a high gloss
satin black and measures 36X39. The feature I really enjoy with
that one is that I can tilt the entire loop forward or backward or
side
to side. I never thought that would make much of a difference but it
does at times.

One day ( not too long from now) I'm going to put up two antennas
outside and wayyyy up there just for the BCB. I can just imagine if
like last night....how much stronger that signal may have been if I
were to have had those antennas outside. But that is something I
would have to really read up on and ask for help from the group on
or go back and read some of Ron's old posts. I have no idea how
they should be spaced or anything actually and with something like
that which is IMO going to be an investment in both money and time -
I don't want to screw it up.

tonight catch 3 aug an old friend Policy 0 August 4th 06 05:17 AM
Fantastic! [email protected] Shortwave 0 July 26th 05 03:47 PM
Fantastic new website!!! George Ashley Shortwave 12 December 23rd 04 03:22 AM