Old December 20th 09, 07:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Pirate Radio the movie - anyone see it?

Looks like it was a bust in the US but did well overseas.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...thatrocked.htm

Interesting to see how much more this movie made overseas ($28 mil)
versus only $7mil in the US

Did anyone see this movie and two, is it worth seeing when it comes
out on DVD?

Old December 20th 09, 09:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

SC Dxing wrote:
Looks like it was a bust in the US but did well overseas.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...thatrocked.htm

Interesting to see how much more this movie made overseas ($28 mil)
versus only $7mil in the US

Did anyone see this movie and two, is it worth seeing when it comes
out on DVD?

It's popular overseas because most of the people who are now in their 50's grew
up listening to pirate radio. Note that it was not pirate radio as in a guy
sitting in a shack with a old ham rig, it was a full scale broadcast operation
on a ship, in international waters.

They even had sales offices in major cities, e.g. London, selling advertising.

At the time the BBC was dead set against rock 'n roll and the only way people
could hear it without buying records was to listen to these stations.

It's much more nostagila than history and almost nothing about radio itself.

If you enjoy Britsh comedies such as "Shaun of the Dead", "Love Actually", etc
you'll find it filled with the minor players. No big names. Emma Thompson is
in there in an unrecognizable part.

As for waiting for it to come out on DVD in the US, if it does, it will go
directly to the $1 bin. People in the US are "just not into" the subject.

IMHO it's one of those things that you download or stream, watch and delete.
YMMV.

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.
Old December 20th 09, 01:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"SC Dxing" wrote in message
Looks like it was a bust in the US but did well overseas.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...thatrocked.htm

Interesting to see how much more this movie made overseas ($28 mil)
versus only $7mil in the US

Did anyone see this movie and two, is it worth seeing when it comes
out on DVD?

I watched it and thought it was "uninteresting", it's all been done before
in films and nothing seperates this one from the rest.

Old December 20th 09, 04:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

SC Dxing wrote:
Looks like it was a bust in the US but did well overseas.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...thatrocked.htm

Interesting to see how much more this movie made overseas ($28 mil)
versus only $7mil in the US

Did anyone see this movie and two, is it worth seeing when it comes
out on DVD?

Nobody cares about radio and nobody wants to remember the '60s.
Old December 20th 09, 11:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Yea, I remember listening to Radio Caroline and others when I was in
England in the mid 80s. Amazing how they could rig those large towers
and keep the boats from flipping over (or in some cases, I heard they
did flip over). I'll wait for it to go into the $1 DVD rental box and
watch it that way.

Old December 21st 09, 01:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

SC Dxing wrote:
Yea, I remember listening to Radio Caroline and others when I was in
England in the mid 80s. Amazing how they could rig those large towers
and keep the boats from flipping over (or in some cases, I heard they
did flip over). I'll wait for it to go into the $1 DVD rental box and
watch it that way.

Kind of hard to flip-over with that anchor chain constantly pulling down.

Old December 21st 09, 03:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 20, 2:36*am, SC Dxing wrote:
Looks like it was a bust in the US but did well overseas.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...thatrocked.htm

Interesting to see how much more this movie made overseas ($28 mil)
versus only $7mil in the US

Did anyone see this movie and two, is it worth seeing when it comes
out on DVD?

I saw it this weekend with my wife. Yeah, it was fun - if you like
rock music and are interested in a fictionalization of Radio
Caroline. Fortunately, I love rock music and movies about the 60s -
so it was a good date film. Plus it opened a dialog for my wife and
me which allowed me to broaden her knowledge about pirate radio - then
and now.

Definitely worth it on DVD or PPV, IMHO...

James
Old December 21st 09, 04:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Seems you guys only just got it. Us Aussies have seen it ages ago!
Laughed hard. Was really amased at how the console could be waist deep
in water and the TXer downstairs still going! That was even funier!

Was it a good representation of what actually went on? - NO! - ****!
Wouldn't have waisted the money on the ticket! Glad I watched a dodgy
copy a mate loaned me and didn't spend a sent!

Sorry lads should have sent in a team of Doco Jurnos from Discovery
Channel or Nat Geo etc and made a 2 hr doco film on the real story!
Now that I'd pay to see! The real gutts.

Oh maybe send in the Mythbusters to blow something up! I'd watch that!

Old December 21st 09, 11:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 21, 4:19*pm, Station X wrote:
Seems you guys only just got it. Us Aussies have seen it ages ago!
Laughed hard. Was really amased at how the console could be waist deep
in water and the TXer downstairs still going! That was even funier!

Was it a good representation of what actually went on? - NO! - ****!
Wouldn't have waisted the money on the ticket! Glad I watched a dodgy
copy a mate loaned me and didn't spend a sent!

Sorry lads should have sent in a team of Doco Jurnos from Discovery
Channel or Nat Geo etc and made a 2 hr doco film on the real story!
Now that I'd pay to see! The real gutts.

Oh maybe send in the Mythbusters to blow something up! I'd watch that!

Well a lot happened during the time covered, the film covers
quite a span ... from stations on land , on ships off the coast
to using the nepolionic forts located in the Thames estuary .( Big
L).missing are the associated murders of those involved by the
opposite mob , the bombing of the ships and the cray twins
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cray_twins ) hiding out at radio
London waiting for the heat to die down as they say over the
pond, commando raids on the ships by (?) ... big money involved in
the air play lists .. still is

MW tx was only the bbc in the uk , and as the film points out
did not play very much pop music .. best 'we' had was radio
Luxembourg on 208 mtrs ..beamed into the uk .. went over to
english round 1900 hrs .. big signal, big qsb , big phase
distortion .. a lot of land based local stations playing music as
well ..one lot, radio liverpool used to have a wire up a tree and
battery tx and tape player in the local park .. dedication ...

Sure the films is a little technically romantic, but the ship is
the original and is still fired up for special events

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Caroline