Old December 28th 09, 05:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Drake or AOR?

On 12/28/09 10:07 , jbm32 wrote:
Bill Baka;696621 Wrote:
I'm looking for the supreme or next to supreme desktop radio so I can
use it in either my car, at home (no computer hookups planned), or
maybe
on one of my long bicycle trips.
I have found the Drake R-8 and SW-8 and also a mention of the AOR but
none found yet.
Anybody got any opinions on this?
Remember, home, car, bicycle, random antennas and that kind of thing.
I have plenty of boatanchors (Vacuum state FETs) and one marine RDF
that
peaks at just over 4.0 MHz. I have a new Super CB Royce but a CB on a
bicycle might get too many laughs.
I'm open to any suggestions as long as they are cheap. I'm $$$
limited.

Thanks,
Bill Baka

Check out the Palstar R30A here ... http://www.palstar.com/r30.php

Universal has it at a slight discount. It has received some great
reviews, and I'm thinking of getting one myself.

-Jim

I looked very seriously at buying the R30C. Solid radio. Very
nice performance. Few frills, but very potent receiver.

About that time, there was a guy on this newsgroup who was
selling them at a substantial discount, AND he was offering a full
factory warranty.

Now a factory warranty isn't something that can be offered by
just anyone. Most manufacturers only offer warranty service on
products sold through authorized dealers. This seller was not on the
authorized dealer's list. So, I contacted Palstar, and exchanged
e-mails with Paul.

I explained the circumstances, and expressed my interest in
buying the radio. My question was simple: Is this an authorized
seller, and can I count on a valid factory warranty?

The response was surprising. "I don't know where he's getting his
radios and what the hell business is it of YOURS?"

If that's how Palstar answers an inquiry, do I really need to be
dropping serious money on one of their radios, regardless of the
seller.

So I bought a Ten-Tec, instead.

Old December 28th 09, 08:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/28/2009 11:07 AM, jbm32 wrote:
Bill Baka;696621 Wrote:
[...]

Bill, i gotta go with Jim here. if you want to go mobile/ bike, this
would fit the bill nicely. got an older one here, and it's a super
receiver. you might check out the yahoo group. we fixed up a guy in
a motorized wheelchair a few years ago. and i know 2 guys in my rider
group that use the Palstar on their Harleys. all 3 of these set-ups
use a CB type antenna, and it will work to a point. i was thinking of
mounting one on my bagger over the winter. for an antenna, a guy on
one of the Harley groups uses a miracle whip. so, i'm going to check
that out. Paul at Palstar has a bunch of ideas, and he has made a few
cables for the guys. and last, the Palstar will take AA batteries in
side. last about 6 to 8 hours. could be your 2 wheel radio. good
luck, and let us how you make out.

Drifter...

Old December 28th 09, 08:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/28/2009 12:38 PM, D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 12/28/09 10:07 , jbm32 wrote:
Bill Baka;696621 Wrote:
[...]

Peter. WOW. that sure don't sound like Paul. i have known Paul, from the
time he still worked at Drake. most of the Palstars and antennas, on
ebay, are sold by his son, who runs a kind of Palstar store on ebay. at
least he used too. i have the R30CC here. super little bare bones
receiver. when the weather is nice i take it, my Ed-loop, a jumpstart,
and a large coffee to my favorite park. makes a nice morning. and some
good back round for the days paper.

Drifter...

Old December 28th 09, 08:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/28/09 10:07 , jbm32 wrote:
Bill Baka;696621 Wrote:
[...]

That's what I'd heard. Which is why it was such a surprise.

most of the Palstars and antennas, on
ebay, are sold by his son, who runs a kind of Palstar store on ebay. at
least he used too.

This wasn't an e-Bay seller. He was an individual known for his
sales and trades of used radios in the newsgroup, and he was
offering the Palstars directly in the newsgroup. He was specific
about making the point these were new radios, and he was offering
full factory warranty. The discount was nearly 30%, and Palstar
wasn't known for that kind of price cut. Which is what triggered the
red flag for me. So, I went to Palstar for direct information.

i have the R30CC here. super little bare bones
receiver. when the weather is nice i take it, my Ed-loop, a jumpstart,
and a large coffee to my favorite park. makes a nice morning. and some
good back round for the days paper.

That's a cool start to the day. There was a member of the
newsgroup who used to drive between Denver and Jackson Hole,
Wyoming, who took his SW-2 with him. He'd stop along the road and
hook it up to the guardrail and do some serious pseudo-Beverage work
before breakfast in Jackson Hole.

Good times.

Old December 28th 09, 11:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Jackson Hole,Wyoming.In 1956, when myself, my dad and my mom and one of
my sisters lived in Bozeman,Montana, we spent the night in Jackson
Hole,Wyoming.I remember Frenchy's in Jackson Hole.I wonder if Frenchy's
is still there?
Sure is nice Territory in Wyoming,,, Montana too.
cuhulin

Old December 28th 09, 11:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On second though, Frenchy's, Wolf Creek,Montana,,, if I sort of kind of
remember? Fifty three years since 1956 was quite a few years ago.
cuhulin

Old December 28th 09, 11:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In 1958 a fire burned down Frenchy's. (cafe and cabins) Some famous
celebrities used to go to Frenchy's, a Western retreat.George
Montgomery, (he was from Montana, Big Sky Country) Dinah Shore, and
others.

Last Chance Gulch in Helena got it's name from two or three guys from
Georgia, seeking Gold.
http://www.helenahistory.org/north_of_helena.htm
cuhulin

Old December 30th 09, 01:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/28/09 10:07 , jbm32 wrote:
Bill Baka;696621 Wrote:

[...]

Peter. that is so cool. i love the sw-2, and the 8. just read in MT-Jan.
issue, about using anything metal around the house for an antenna.
"back-in-the-day", 60's, locals use to brag about the
famous bed-spring antenna. i knew a guy who talked all around the
world on a barb wire fence. a guardrail, that's just so cool.

Best of the New Year to you.

Drifter...

Old January 2nd 10, 08:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 28 2009, 3:04*pm, wrote:
Jackson Hole,Wyoming.In 1956, when myself, my dad and my mom and one of
my sisters lived in Bozeman,Montana, we spent the night in Jackson
Hole,Wyoming.I remember Frenchy's in Jackson Hole.I wonder if Frenchy's
is still there?
Sure is nice Territory in Wyoming,,, Montana too.
cuhulin

It looks a bit different today. Bring money. Brings lots of money.