Old February 28th 10, 03:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Been listening to KDKA AM radio in digital

Been listening to KDKA AM radio in digital. What a crappy signal. It
switches back and forth from digital to analog and during the
transition the receiver makes this screech noise that sounds like the
receiver isn’t resolving the digital signal correctly. When in full
digital the high frequencies are so dirty sounding, I guess due to the
slow bit rate, that I have to ask myself, what’s the point? When it
goes back to analog the signal cleans up and sounds great. Tell me
again why would anyone want this?
Old February 28th 10, 04:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

NX211 wrote:
Been listening to KDKA AM radio in digital. What a crappy signal. It
switches back and forth from digital to analog and during the
transition the receiver makes this screech noise that sounds like the
receiver isn’t resolving the digital signal correctly. When in full
digital the high frequencies are so dirty sounding, I guess due to the
slow bit rate, that I have to ask myself, what’s the point? When it
goes back to analog the signal cleans up and sounds great. Tell me
again why would anyone want this?

The people who forced IBOC on this country were billionaire media
moguls who wanted a digital system that would preserve the signal
superiority of their stations -- in other words, a system that would
keep the existing power/quality hierarchy intact.

What they did _not_ want was a new digital band that would open up
many new channels, all with essentially perfect quality and equal
signal-to-noise ratios.

They didn't care very much about whether their IBOC digital system
performed well.

They got what they wanted.

http://3950.net/2009/12/hd-radio-doomed-from-the-start/

With all good wishes,

Kevin.
--
http://kevinalfredstrom.com/
Old February 28th 10, 06:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

NX211 wrote:
Been listening to KDKA AM radio in digital. What a crappy signal. It
switches back and forth from digital to analog and during the
transition the receiver makes this screech noise that sounds like the
receiver isn’t resolving the digital signal correctly. When in full
digital the high frequencies are so dirty sounding, I guess due to the
slow bit rate, that I have to ask myself, what’s the point? When it
goes back to analog the signal cleans up and sounds great. Tell me
again why would anyone want this?

Is CBS really trashing itself or what? 1010, 1020 and 1030 all
destroying each others' signal with IBOC. It's almost like they want to
fail.
Old February 28th 10, 08:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Dobbs wrote:

My HD receiver works fine with the signals in my area
and does a fair job of the ones from afar,
where my reception isn't in their interests.
Face it, AMBCB has withered to an almost obsolete medium
holding scant interest for the masses that would sustain a financially viable
existence, so what does it matter how they stir the remaining sludge, just enjoy
the ride or tune elsewhere.

I just drove from Best Buy Burbank to Canyon Country and did not have a
single dropout while listening to KROQ-2 on my ipod. I use a Sprint
mobile broadband dongle and a compatible wifi hotspot device.

I repeat; not a single dropout from downtown Burbank to Soledad and Sand.

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/802/63/

http://3gstore.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=610

Old March 1st 10, 12:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"NX211" wrote:
Been listening to KDKA AM radio in digital. What a crappy signal. It
switches back and forth from digital to analog and during the
transition the receiver makes this screech noise that sounds lik/ the
receiver isn’t resolving the digital signal correctly. When in full
digital the high frequencies are so dirty sounding, I guess due to the
slow bit rate, that I have to ask myself, what’s the point? When it
goes back to analog the signal cleans up and sounds great. Tell me
again why would anyone want this?

Are you sure that your problem isn't related to the signal bouncing between
the Pittsburgh Macaroni Co. and Wholey's in the Strip then off the Roberto
Clemente Bridge and then ricochetting around Sliberty and the Sou-side and
finally ending up somewhere in Wilmerding?

-N.Morrow (former resident of the 'Burgh and big Rege Cordic fan)

Old March 1st 10, 01:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Dobbs wrote:
N.Morrow wrote:
wrote:
Been listening to KDKA AM radio in digital. What a crappy signal. It
switches back and forth from digital to analog and during the
transition the receiver makes this screech noise that sounds lik/ the
receiver isn’t resolving the digital signal correctly. When in full
digital the high frequencies are so dirty sounding, I guess due to the
slow bit rate, that I have to ask myself, what’s the point? When it
goes back to analog the signal cleans up and sounds great. Tell me
again why would anyone want this?

Are you sure that your problem isn't related to the signal bouncing between
the Pittsburgh Macaroni Co. and Wholey's in the Strip then off the Roberto
Clemente Bridge and then ricochetting around Sliberty and the Sou-side and
finally ending up somewhere in Wilmerding?

-N.Morrow (former resident of the 'Burgh and big Rege Cordic fan)

So if he's experiencing multipath distortion
then maybe his radio isn't at fault after all?
I get QSB type path deterioration (not multipath) on the KFI 640 signal from
L.A. such that I periodically lose HD sync, but there's no "screeching"
artifact, just the presence or absence of hiss.

The sky wave and the ground wave are at odds with each other. I listen
via the web.
Old March 1st 10, 02:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Dobbs wrote:
dave wrote:
Bob Dobbs wrote:
N.Morrow wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I get the same phenomena with KNX 1070.
Would like to try KGO 810 but they kill their IBOC at night
before the band opens up that far away.
If you have an HD receiver maybe you could test your reception
of our KOGO 600 up there on your end, It runs IBOC 24/7.

I have a local on 610.
Old March 1st 10, 10:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 1, 2:12*pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:
dave wrote:

If you have an HD receiver maybe you could test your reception
of our KOGO 600 up there on your end, It runs IBOC 24/7.

I have a local on 610.

Is it one of those fat HD stations,
or don't you have enough selectivity
to resolve something ten kcs away?

With KOGO running its IBOC 24/7,
I'd never be able to hear it.

--

Operator Bob
Echo Charlie 42

I have 50 kW KGO 810 about 5 miles away, grounded in the same SF Bay
mud as my own ground.

It almost pins my S-meter at minimum 40-over even attenuated, and it
takes a massive effort to hear anything 10 kHz away from it; my
MFJ-1026 works totally overtime to crush the signal even when I use
USB/LSB on narrow and passband. Even worse is another 50 kW blowtorch
just 1.5 miles away on 1100 - yecch! Not only that, but its harmonics
are potent on 2200 and 3300 (farewell, R. Cultural, Guatemala). I
wonder if the 1026 can wipe that 3300 harmonic...

Bruce
Old March 2nd 10, 02:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 1, 6:04*pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:

I have 50 kW KGO 810 about 5 miles away, grounded in the same SF Bay
mud as my own ground.

It almost pins my S-meter at minimum 40-over even attenuated, and it
takes a massive effort to hear anything 10 kHz away from it;

During the day when KGO runs IBOC you've got those twelve and a half kc
sidebands to plug your reception on either side (800/820).

my
MFJ-1026 works totally overtime to crush the signal even when I use
USB/LSB on narrow and passband.

If your canceler is having trouble trying to null something,
about the only recourse is to reorient your sense antenna.

Even worse is another 50 kW blowtorch
just 1.5 miles away on 1100 - yecch! *Not only that, but its harmonics
are potent on 2200 and 3300 (farewell, R. Cultural, Guatemala). *I
wonder if the 1026 can wipe that 3300 harmonic...

That's another whole different issue;
is it the station that is radiating harmonics,
or some inadequacy in your receiver?

--

Operator Bob
Echo Charlie 42

To answer both your and Brenda's questions - I have an Alpha-Delta DX
UItra Multiband dipole and a 50-foot inverted L up about 20 feet.

Obviously, these two antennas will not be a perfect match for all
kinds of noise or nulling a superpower radio station a mere 5 miles
away. However, they do a respectable job - I can kill a lot of noise
with the 1026, and believe me, I have a TON of it. I can make most
local AM stations nearly inaudible with this set up - but KGO and the
thing on 1100 are just too potent. I receive them powerfully with *no
antenna at all* attached. It is hard to overstate the signal of these
monsters at this location. There are two others at 1050 and 1550 that
come close, also both a stone's throw from here.

I am aware of the rectification potential of poor solder joints and
dissimilar metals. It is entirely possible that I have one or both of
these problems after having these antennas up for a decade or so. It
has always been thus, though, and even when I attach a simple wire
directly to the Hi-Z input of my R75. FWIW, only 1100 seems to have
this effect very strongly, and it is better than it used to be (I used
to get it on 4400, 5500 and occasionally 7700).

Bruce
Old March 2nd 10, 01:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Dobbs wrote:
dave wrote:

If you have an HD receiver maybe you could test your reception
of our KOGO 600 up there on your end, It runs IBOC 24/7.

I have a local on 610.

Is it one of those fat HD stations,
or don't you have enough selectivity
to resolve something ten kcs away?

With KOGO running its IBOC 24/7,
I'd never be able to hear it.

It's Fox Sports in Lancaster. My IBOC receiver seems to have a very
mushy mediumwave tuner. I'll drag it in here and hook it up to the
longwire. All I've ever been able to get in AM IBOC is KSPN, 710, a 50
KW station in North Hollywood.