Old March 4th 10, 04:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default The Scariest Interval Signal Ever (for me anyway)...

When I was a kid, the Eastern Bloc countries all had interval signals
that, somehow, were as frightening as the spectres of the things that
I imagined going on behind the Iron Curtain. Radio Tirana in
particular had a desperate sounding minor key IS that made me feel
terribly sorry for the persecuted people in that horridly backward and
iron-fisted nation.

But there was one IS that really creeped me out on any given cold
Massachusetts winter's night sometime in the 1970's. I would sit in
the dark all snug and warm in front of my Hammarlund HQ-100 or my
Astronaut-8, the only light in the room emanating from the radio
before me, and scanning around 31 meters this minor key theme would
pop up 2 minutes before 10 PM...

The station never IDed in English, so I never found out what it was
(until today! :-D), but the Interval Signal and the language my naive
ears heard made me imagine it was some Soviet satellite where people
lived lives of utter despair and destitution under the cruel eyes of a
secretive Stalinist government, always wondering whether they would
see their loved ones again when they got home work in the dim, smoggy
factory. The terrors were almost unimaginable...it sent fear through
my soul.

Imagine my surprise when I found out what it really was today!

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~RP4N-KWM...nd2/index.html

OR:

http://tinyurl.com/ycncdgg

Once here, open up Israel - R. Israel - 1978 using Realplayer. It
still sends shivers down my spine.

While you're at it, check R. Tirana 1974 too :-)

Bruce
Old March 4th 10, 04:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 3, 11:19*pm, bpnjensen wrote:
[...]

I always thought Voice of Turkey's interval signal was a little
creepy. Also beautiful though.

Steve
Old March 4th 10, 07:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 3, 11:34*pm, Steve wrote:
[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

V.of Turkey must be THE KING of thriller interval signals. I
would say no eastern block country came even close to THAT piece of
frightening composition! Turkey has retained some elements of music of
the ancient peoples that inhabited Asia Minor since time immemorial...
Albania too, though not so deeply moving.
Old March 4th 10, 12:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

V.of Turkey must be THE KING of thriller interval signals. I
would say no eastern block country came even close to THAT piece of
frightening composition! Turkey has retained some elements of music of
the ancient peoples that inhabited Asia Minor since time immemorial...
Albania too, though not so deeply moving.

I agree, it's beautiful. But IMHO when it comes to simple beaty, there is no
other that beats the IS of R. Norway [1]. The modern-music composer Arne
Nordheim [2] has made a marvel of an IS. This is considered his best work
ever by many.

[1] http://www.bgnett.no/~giva/misc/norway.rm
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arne_Nordheim

Old March 4th 10, 02:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 4, 4:37*am, "ElChino" wrote:
wrote:
* * * * V.of Turkey must be THE KING of thriller interval signals. *I
would say no eastern block country came even close to THAT piece of
frightening composition! Turkey has retained some elements of music of
the ancient peoples that inhabited Asia Minor since time immemorial...
Albania too, though not so deeply moving.

I agree, it's beautiful. But IMHO when it comes to simple beaty, there is no
other that beats the IS of R. Norway [1]. The modern-music composer Arne
Nordheim [2] has made a marvel of an IS. This is considered his best work
ever by many.

[1]http://www.bgnett.no/~giva/misc/norway.rm
[2]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arne_Nordheim

I agree - R. Norway's brings tears to my Norwegian eyes. Just
beautiful. RIP R. Norway.

Bruce

Old March 4th 10, 02:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 3, 11:11*pm, wrote:
On Mar 3, 11:34*pm, Steve wrote:

[...]

Albania too, though not so deeply moving.- Hide quoted text -

Hmmm - to each his own I guess. Turkey's IS, for me, is essential
ancient Middle Eastern / Asia Minor - exotic, but not frightening.
Old March 4th 10, 07:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

http://www.topix.com/military/scott-air-force-base

German police tour Belleville.

When I was in boot camp at Fort Gordon,Georgia,,, one of the classes was
about det cord, it looks like a white clothes line.There were some
German Military Offices standing around there and looking on.My turn in
line came, the DI said, Which side did it start from?
That stuff burns so fast, I guessed the wrong side.
cuhulin

Old March 4th 10, 08:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 4, 12:54*pm, wrote:
http://www.topix.com/military/scott-air-force-base

German police tour Belleville.

When I was in boot camp at Fort Gordon,Georgia,,, one of the classes was
about det cord, it looks like a white clothes line.There were some
German Military Offices standing around there and looking on.My turn in
line came, the DI said, Which side did it start from?
That stuff burns so fast, I guessed the wrong side.
cuhulin

Cuhulin: Unless someone out there is using det cord as an interval
signal, it looks to me like you're just posting crap all over these
groups.
Old March 4th 10, 09:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 4, 12:35*pm, Doc Faustus wrote:
On Mar 4, 12:54*pm, wrote:

http://www.topix.com/military/scott-air-force-base

German police tour Belleville.

When I was in boot camp at Fort Gordon,Georgia,,, one of the classes was
about det cord, it looks like a white clothes line.There were some
German Military Offices standing around there and looking on.My turn in
line came, the DI said, Which side did it start from?
That stuff burns so fast, I guessed the wrong side.
cuhulin

Cuhulin: Unless someone out there is using det cord as an interval
signal, it looks to me like you're just posting crap all over these
groups.

Oh, just let him be. This goes back quite a ways, and I think he's a
good egg :-)

It's interesting to think that everything we write - including
Cuhulin's prose - is being preserved for posterior, er, posterity, by
Google and whomever else has storage space to burn...

Try a Google search of the groups for "cuhulin" - I'll bet it's
amazing!

Bruce
Old March 4th 10, 09:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Doc Faustus wrote:

On Mar 4, 12:54 pm, wrote:
http://www.topix.com/military/scott-air-force-base

German police tour Belleville.

When I was in boot camp at Fort Gordon,Georgia,,, one of the classes was
about det cord, it looks like a white clothes line.There were some
German Military Offices standing around there and looking on.My turn in
line came, the DI said, Which side did it start from?
That stuff burns so fast, I guessed the wrong side.
cuhulin

Cuhulin: Unless someone out there is using det cord as an interval
signal, it looks to me like you're just posting crap all over these
groups.

Yeah, yeah. He just ticks me off 'cause he won't sell me that non-working
Rolex he's got stashed away.