Old March 8th 10, 03:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Radio Australia, missing transmissions

Both last night (March 8, 8:00 UTC and later) and the night before
Radio Australia seems to be two transmitters short.

Missing were the transmissions on 9590 kHz (8:00 UTC to 16:00?)
and 9580 kHz (8:00 to 14:00), 7240 kHz (14:00-17:00?).

Also not heard was the earlier transmission on 9660 kHz and perhaps
the Tok Pisin program on 9710 kHz. (Insomnia radio, accuracy not
guaranteed).

Transmissions still present were 13630 until 9:00, but after that the
only English language programming was on 9475, aimed as Asia, but weak
and noisy here in Western North America (Seattle). And Tok Pisin on
6020 and 5995.

6020 shifts from Tok Pisin to English at 11:00 or 12:00 UTC, but often has
strong interference from (last I checked) Radio Veritas in the Philippines
broadcasting in Chinese at 12:30-14:00 (have not yet checked if this is
still happening).

And when 6020 (English) shifts to 5995 at 14:00 it's getting stepped on
by one of the American christian stations for the first hour. (The guy
that sounds like Mr. Rodgers on Quaaludes. I've never bothered to figure
out if that is "Pastor Pete", or "Harold").

6080 kHz is there around 14:00, but weak.

Mark Zenier
Old March 8th 10, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 8, 7:45*am, (Mark Zenier) wrote:
[...]

I guess I noticed the same thing, but I was too sleepy and ready to
crash to pay much heed - I just chalked it up to poor band conditions
(which were not quite that bad, since RNZI on 31m was decent if not
stellar). I hung it up shortly after 0800, so I cannot vouch for
anything in the wee hours.

You didn't happen to give Mongolia a try last night, did you, by
chance? It's that time of year...

Bruce
Old March 9th 10, 03:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
bpnjensen wrote:
On Mar 8, 7:45*am, (Mark Zenier) wrote:
Both last night (March 8, 8:00 UTC and later) and the night before
Radio Australia seems to be two transmitters short.

Missing were the transmissions on 9590 kHz (8:00 UTC to 16:00?)
and 9580 kHz (8:00 to 14:00), 7240 kHz (14:00-17:00?). *

I guess I noticed the same thing, but I was too sleepy and ready to
crash to pay much heed - I just chalked it up to poor band conditions
(which were not quite that bad, since RNZI on 31m was decent if not
stellar). I hung it up shortly after 0800, so I cannot vouch for
anything in the wee hours.

Well, 9590 was back today. And 6020 is still a mess at 13:00.

You didn't happen to give Mongolia a try last night, did you, by
chance? It's that time of year...

There used to be a whole string of their regional stations on 5 Mhz,
but I thought that they had been shut down, so I've not tried recently.
(One really quiet night a couple of decades ago they were all there
laid out just like in Passport).

There's also a whole lot more noisy electronics in my neighborhood since
then, making that band a bit irritating to monitor, even with a noise
canceler box.

Mark Zenier

Old March 9th 10, 03:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 9, 7:23*am, (Mark Zenier) wrote:
In article ,

bpnjensen wrote:
[...]

I hear ya about the noisy electornics. Yecchh.

Mongolia is on 12 MHz now; not perfectly situated band-wise for 2-3 AM
(U.S. West Coast) listening, but once in awhile you catch it just
right...

The listed 12.085 MHz freq is still good from 1030 to 1100z in
English...

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/mrtv/frword.html

....and here is their outdated website which may still have good
information on it :-)

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/mrtv/

Bruce Jensen