Old March 8th 10, 04:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default PING: Dave R. Elecraft K3

Hey, Dave, thanks for bringing up the Elecraft K3 (I'm sure my wife
will thank you as well ;-) I just read the Receiver Topics section of
the page, and I can hardly believe my eyes. It looks like a RX dream
come true, even the XMTR notwithstanding.

I just have two questions - As I understand it, once in awhile it is
desirable to download improved software and programming from
Elecraft. Does this radio need to be always connected to a PC
otherwise, or is it perfectly fucntional as a stand-alone unit?

And, as configured in basic format, will it receive and properly
filter AM, or is that an add-on?

Thanks,
Bruce
Old March 8th 10, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:

Hey, Dave, thanks for bringing up the Elecraft K3 (I'm sure my wife
will thank you as well ;-) I just read the Receiver Topics section of
the page, and I can hardly believe my eyes. It looks like a RX dream
come true, even the XMTR notwithstanding.

I just have two questions - As I understand it, once in awhile it is
desirable to download improved software and programming from
Elecraft. Does this radio need to be always connected to a PC
otherwise, or is it perfectly fucntional as a stand-alone unit?

And, as configured in basic format, will it receive and properly
filter AM, or is that an add-on?

Save your money. Buy yourself a nice used Drake receiver.

Your wife may still love you.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 8th 10, 05:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:

On Mar 8, 9:04 am, dxAce wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
Hey, Dave, thanks for bringing up the Elecraft K3 (I'm sure my wife
will thank you as well ;-) I just read the Receiver Topics section of
the page, and I can hardly believe my eyes. It looks like a RX dream
come true, even the XMTR notwithstanding.

I just have two questions - As I understand it, once in awhile it is
desirable to download improved software and programming from
Elecraft. Does this radio need to be always connected to a PC
otherwise, or is it perfectly fucntional as a stand-alone unit?

And, as configured in basic format, will it receive and properly
filter AM, or is that an add-on?

Save your money. Buy yourself a nice used Drake receiver.

Your wife may still love you.

OK. Why?

I'm searching for the right words. Perhaps D. Peter might help.

At any rate, one can spend just so much, and after one reaches a certain
point, it ain't gonna help.

It has to do I think with the 'law' of diminishing returns, or something like
that.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 8th 10, 05:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 3/8/10 11:23 , dxAce wrote:

bpnjensen wrote:

On Mar 8, 9:04 am, wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
Hey, Dave, thanks for bringing up the Elecraft K3 (I'm sure my wife
will thank you as well ;-) I just read the Receiver Topics section of
the page, and I can hardly believe my eyes. It looks like a RX dream
come true, even the XMTR notwithstanding.

I just have two questions - As I understand it, once in awhile it is
desirable to download improved software and programming from
Elecraft. Does this radio need to be always connected to a PC
otherwise, or is it perfectly fucntional as a stand-alone unit?

And, as configured in basic format, will it receive and properly
filter AM, or is that an add-on?

Save your money. Buy yourself a nice used Drake receiver.

Your wife may still love you.

OK. Why?

I'm searching for the right words. Perhaps D. Peter might help.

LOL!.

Brother, if I could explain women......

Old March 8th 10, 05:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 8, 9:23*am, dxAce wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
On Mar 8, 9:04 am, dxAce wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
[...]

USA- Hide quoted text -

Well, that's easy to enough to understand...that is EXACTLY how I felt
(and still feel) about my Kiwa-modded Icom R75. For 50% more *at the
time*, I could have gotten 5% more performance. But based on what
I've seen for prices, the law of diminishing returns does not apply
here in a straightforward manner. Good older radios like Drakes and
the better JRCs don't seem to lose any value at all, and in many cases
cost more than when they were new as collectibles.

OK - So I buy a used Drake R7 or R8B for $1,400, or a new K3 for
$1,400.

Or an NRD-515 and a Sherwood SE-3 for $1,800 or any other decent but
old radio for the same price range.

Unless I can find a place to dependably buy something of this calibre
for much less than $1,500, why should I not get the newer one with
better specs and modern features and upgradeable software/firmware?
The Elecraft, in my estimation, is a significant improvement over the
R75. The others I mention above, for the same price, are not.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love a Drake. But penny for penny, I think
the Elecraft would be a better choice.

Bruce
Old March 8th 10, 05:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 3/8/10 11:23 , dxAce wrote:

bpnjensen wrote:

On Mar 8, 9:04 am, wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
Hey, Dave, thanks for bringing up the Elecraft K3 (I'm sure my wife
will thank you as well ;-) I just read the Receiver Topics section of
the page, and I can hardly believe my eyes. It looks like a RX dream
come true, even the XMTR notwithstanding.

I just have two questions - As I understand it, once in awhile it is
desirable to download improved software and programming from
Elecraft. Does this radio need to be always connected to a PC
otherwise, or is it perfectly fucntional as a stand-alone unit?

And, as configured in basic format, will it receive and properly
filter AM, or is that an add-on?

Save your money. Buy yourself a nice used Drake receiver.

Your wife may still love you.

OK. Why?

I'm searching for the right words. Perhaps D. Peter might help.

LOL!.

Brother, if I could explain women......

I think I'm beginning to figure myself out!

At one period in my life, I was used to telling someone to do something, and I
expected it to be done. No explanations needed.

At one time if I said 'go dig a hole over there', I didn't expect to deliver a long
winded explanation of why I wanted the hole dug.

That has followed me through the rest of my life.

Old March 8th 10, 05:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 3/8/10 11:38 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 3/8/10 11:23 , dxAce wrote:

bpnjensen wrote:

On Mar 8, 9:04 am, wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
[...]

It's not always a bad thing.

Old March 8th 10, 06:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 3/8/10 11:38 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 3/8/10 11:23 , dxAce wrote:

bpnjensen wrote:

On Mar 8, 9:04 am, wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
[...]

No, at the time it all worked out pretty well! But in 'real life', some folks expect
more.

Old March 8th 10, 06:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 3/8/10 11:38 , dxAce wrote:

I think I'm beginning to figure myself out!

At one period in my life, I was used to telling someone to do
something, and I
expected it to be done. No explanations needed.

At one time if I said 'go dig a hole over there', I didn't expect to
deliver a long
winded explanation of why I wanted the hole dug.

That has followed me through the rest of my life.

In the military, there's a kind of clarity. You know your place
in things. You know your responsibilities. You get up in the
morning, you know your mission, your purpose, and the expectations
on you.

It's a more structured and orderly life. Less chaotic. Which, of
course, clears your mind for the duties at hand should you find
yourself in combat, where training becomes autonomic.

Out in the civilian world, things are not so clear.

Life in the civilian world...

...is High School.

Clarity is the instrument of frustration there.

PING Stoner Dave nurk_fred2000 Shortwave 15 August 13th 09 12:40 AM
WTB: Ping Moduel "browing ping type " k2000 Swap 0 February 11th 09 07:05 PM
Elecraft Ross Hockenberry Homebrew 0 March 5th 04 02:54 AM
WTB: ELECRAFT K2 darrell huth Swap 0 December 20th 03 06:51 PM
WTB: Elecraft K1 K2TL Swap 0 November 17th 03 04:14 PM