Old March 22nd 10, 05:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Amazing 1954 Radio Show Find Highlights Mississippi History

This one is for you Mr. Cuhulin.
http://www.sunherald.com/2010/03/20/...ighlights.html
Old March 22nd 10, 05:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 22, 1:08*am, Priest wrote:
This one is for you Mr. Cuhulin.http://www.sunherald.com/2010/03/20/...4-radio-show-f...

That is a great find and read.

I love reading articles like that. There will be some nights where I
will look up stuff on 700 WLW, my local flame thrower.

The history behind that station and the VOA is incredible. I have so
many memories of seeing that absolutely huge tower/shape as a kid.
Thanks for a good read. :-)
Old March 22nd 10, 02:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

http://www.devilfinder.com
How the Mississippi River got its name

It is a Loose (very Loose) translation of sort of kind of how the
Indians pronounced it.

Looka here, the first radio station in Mississippi, (the State, not the
River) that woman started using some cuss words.She got kicked off the
air!

I Love that.
cuhulin

Old March 23rd 10, 03:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 22, 12:48*am, Gregg wrote:
That is a great find and read.

I love reading articles like that. There will be some nights where I
will look up stuff on 700 WLW, my local flame thrower.

The history behind that station and the VOA is incredible. I have so
many memories of seeing that absolutely huge tower/shape as a kid.
Thanks for a good read. :-)

Glad you enjoyed it, radio history is fun to uncover. I have many fond
memories of WLW. Back in the 1970's I listened to Marty Brennaman
broadcasting the Reds games on many a summer night. Rose, Bench, Perez
and the rest of the "Big Red Machine". Good stuff.

I'll occassionally tune in WLW nightimes now but usually don't stay
long. The trucking network is okay but a little bit of that goes a
long way. Unfortunately with syndication there isn't much to choose
from on other frequencies either.
Old March 23rd 10, 03:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

An old man in Mississippi gets a five gallon bucket to pick some fruit
near his pond.He sees some wimmins skinny dippin in his pond.One of them
tells him, We are not coming out untill you leave.
He tells them, I am not here to watch y'all skinny dippin in my pond, I
am here to feed the Alligator!
cuhulin

Old March 23rd 10, 11:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 22, 11:32*pm, Priest wrote:
On Mar 22, 12:48*am, Gregg wrote:

That is a great find and read.

I love reading articles like that. There will be some nights where I
will look up stuff on 700 WLW, my local flame thrower.

The history behind that station and the VOA is incredible. I have so
many memories of seeing that absolutely huge tower/shape as a kid.
Thanks for a good read. :-)

Glad you enjoyed it, radio history is fun to uncover. I have many fond
memories of WLW. Back in the 1970's I listened to Marty Brennaman
broadcasting the Reds games on many a summer night. Rose, Bench, Perez
and the rest of the "Big Red *Machine". Good stuff.

Yeah, good to hear. I've been very lucky IMO , as you know as a kid,
to have been fortunate enough to listen to Marty& Joe and those years
of The Big Red Machine. Of course Joe has now passed on but hearing
Marty's voice over WLW you know spring is in the air.:-) Did you at
one time live here in Cincinnati?

Old March 24th 10, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 23, 6:37*am, Gregg wrote:
Yeah, good to hear. I've been very lucky IMO , as you know as a kid,
to have been fortunate enough to listen to Marty& Joe and those years
of The Big Red Machine. Of course Joe has now passed on but hearing
Marty's voice over WLW you know spring is in the air.:-) Did you at
one time live here in Cincinnati?- Hide quoted text -

I've never lived in Cincy. I was born and raised on the plains of
Nebraska and way back when that made for lots of excellent
electromagnetic radiation. This was before cable and ESPN, satellite
dishes and hundreds of tv channels so all I had was radio and books
and it was wonderful. I was a great dxer and didn't even know the term
existed or what it was. All I knew was that I loved listening to my
inexpensive made in the USA radio that caught every signal on the AM
dial that mattered and lasted forever in spite of being dropped and
knocked about regularly..

700 WLW boomed into Nebraska from Cincinnatti, 1020 KDKA and Bob
Prince broadcasting Pirates games from Pittsburgh, 1030 WBZ and Boston
Bruin hockey games from Boston, 1120 KMOX and Harry Cary (yes he used
to be the Cardinals play by play radio man and then Jack Buck) from
St. Louis and Dan Kelly's St. Louis Blues hockey broadcasts, 750 WSB
Atlanta Braves, 1100 WWWE Cleveland Indians and Herb Score and Pete
Franklin sports talk before it was fashionable, 1080 KRLD Dallas Texas
Rangers, could even pick up Giants games on KSFO in San Fransico when
conditions were right.

And lots of good talk radio before the cartels ruined it...Herb Jepco
and the Night Caps on KSL out of Salt Lake City, Bill Barker on 850
KOA Denver, Jack Wheeler on KDKA after the Pirate game, etc. etc. etc.
The list could go on and on, every city had their own local hosts and
callers and it didn't take long before you felt you personally knew
all of them.

Yes I was truly blessed to grow up before radio was destroyed.
Old March 24th 10, 03:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I have been to Cincinnati twice before, only passing through.First time
was in 1947, second time was in 1967.
cuhulin

Old March 24th 10, 11:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

And lots of good talk radio before the cartels ruined it...Herb Jepco
and the Night Caps on KSL out of Salt Lake City, Bill Barker on 850
KOA Denver, Jack Wheeler on KDKA after the Pirate game, etc. etc. etc.
The list could go on and on, every city had their own local hosts and
callers and it didn't take long before you felt you personally knew
all of them.

Yes I was truly blessed to grow up before radio was destroyed.

I heard Jepco a lot.

And L.A. 50,000 Watt KFI 640
Night Owls Midnight to 6 AM with Ben Hunter and Ron McCoy

I never guessed how all those truck drivers on HWY 50 and 80
found phones at 2 AM to call in.

Here in N California/Nevada border, I heard Art Bell on the 80 meter
SSB HAM band a few years back...
I don't know if he still hangs there any more...