Old April 6th 10, 04:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Breaking News: SoCal/Mexico earthquake

On Apr 6, 7:25*am, dave wrote:

My house is 4 miles from the 1971 Sylmar quake epicenter and 10 miles
from the 1994 Northridge quake epicenter. *The house survived both of
those with no damage.

I am 13 miles from a very stuck section of the San Andreas Fault.

The former encouraging, the latter troubling. May the former hold
true when the latter holds forth.

Here I sit on the margin of SF Bay about 2.5 miles from the Hayward
Fault (home of the "next big one") and about 14 miles from the San
Andreas Fault (which may still have a "little" time). This reminds me
- I should get that quake inspection and a few upgrades pretty quick.
We have quake insurance, but it doesn't do much good if you're
squawrshed...

Bruce
Old April 6th 10, 05:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:
On Apr 6, 7:25 am, dave wrote:

My house is 4 miles from the 1971 Sylmar quake epicenter and 10 miles
from the 1994 Northridge quake epicenter. The house survived both of
those with no damage.

I am 13 miles from a very stuck section of the San Andreas Fault.

The former encouraging, the latter troubling. May the former hold
true when the latter holds forth.

Here I sit on the margin of SF Bay about 2.5 miles from the Hayward
Fault (home of the "next big one") and about 14 miles from the San
Andreas Fault (which may still have a "little" time). This reminds me
- I should get that quake inspection and a few upgrades pretty quick.
We have quake insurance, but it doesn't do much good if you're
squawrshed...

Bruce

I'm frame stucco on slab single story earthquake prepared.
Old April 6th 10, 06:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Some of that San Francisco area was built many years ago when they sank
some old wooden Ships (after going around the Horn from East to West.Go
West young man, go West ~ Horace Greely) and then pushing some sand and
dirt and who knows what else? on top of those Ships.Land fill, dontcha
just know?
Yah, you betcha! How San Francisco was built.
cuhulin

Old April 6th 10, 07:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 6, 10:40*am, Bob Dobbs wrote:
dave wrote:

I am 13 miles from a very stuck section of the San Andreas Fault.

Mother Nature doesn't stay 'stuck' for long,
too much energy.

--

Operator Bob
Echo Charlie 42

We have quite a bit of fault creep on some segments of the Hayward
Fault; but not the whole thing, and not nearly enough to relieve the
strain. That potential energy still builds, and I am afraid it will
become kinetic when we least expect it.

So, what's the Rose Canyon Fault? Is it a fairly separate large fault
(like the Hayward), or a parallel closely-related strand of the San
Andreas?

And, can I hear it on 25 meters? ;-)

Bruce
Old April 6th 10, 07:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Brenda Ann wrote:

"ElChino" wrote in message

Planet Earth is Dynamic, and also Active.Wobblin around and Slippin and
Slidin everywhere.We are all Sittin on top of Hot Molten Rock.Planet
Earth is churnin its self inside out.
Welcome to Planet Earth, it's made of Space Junk, left over from the Big
Bang.Will Planet Earth go out with a wimper, or another Big Bang?

At some time in the history of the earth it did in fact have years of ~400
days. It could happen again. I don't think I'll be around.

A theory is that the dynamic process of molten rock circulating from the
core to the near-surface will decrease. Thus the magma cooling down near
the earth crust, the size and weight of the earth will remain the same.
But the shift in mass distribution of the earth will cause the
earth-rotation to increase. (ref. an ice-skater spinning slower with the
arms stretched out). We'll get much longer days. And more time to write
junk mail like this on the net.

If the Earth's rotation speed increases, we get SHORTER days. Days have been
tending shorter. At one time within human existance, days were longer, and
we had only 360 days per year (hence 360 degrees in a circle).

No, that's not where the 360 degrees comes from.

Old April 6th 10, 08:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 6, 11:53*am, (Bruce Watson) wrote:
In article ,

Brenda Ann wrote:

"ElChino" wrote in message

[...]

No, that's not where the 360 degrees comes from.- Hide quoted text -

So...(tapping foot)...tell us where! ;-)

People who actually use a "time"-related reference for navigation
(astronomers) use an hours-minutes-seconds system in place of
longitude, not a days/degrees system. Astro coords are usually in
degrees of declination above or below the equator (+/- 0-90) for
latitude, and in hours/minutes/seconds of right ascension (HH:mm':ss")
for longitude around the rotating circumference - essentially a
variation on polar coordinates.

Bruce
Old April 6th 10, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brenda Ann wrote:

"ElChino" wrote in message

[...]

variation on polar coordinates. 1 hour of RA = 15 degrees, 1 degree =
4 minutes.

Bruce
Old April 7th 10, 01:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Here is another/new, Breaking: 7.8 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Sumatra,
Indonesia.
http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=287052
cuhulin

Old April 7th 10, 03:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Watch the dogs and cats and frogs and horses, they will let you know
ahead of time.If you see them hauling ass for the hills, follow them.

Con Air movie is crankin up rat (follow the rats too) now on the EACT
channel 541, on DirecTV.
cuhulin

Old April 8th 10, 07:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
bpnjensen wrote:
In article ,

Brenda Ann wrote:

"ElChino" wrote in message

[...]

Historically, the ancients knew the earth revolved around the
sun in a little more than 365 days. A degree of arc was chosen
to be 1/360 of a circle because it had many divisors, i.e.,
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 15, 18, 20, 24, 30, 36, 40, 45,
60, 72, 90, 120, 180, and 360.