Old April 10th 10, 09:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Weather Alert Radios

OK, this isn't about SW, but I figured some of you would have
experience with weather alert radios.

I'm looking for a good tabletop S.A.M.E. weather alert radio that can
be configured to receive only the type of alerts I want to hear. For
example, I don't want the radio to be triggered by amber alerts. Most
of the reviews and specs I've found online don't say if specific
alerts can be blocked. I don't care if it receives AM/FM broadcasts or
not.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

TNX.

Old April 10th 10, 10:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

DEFCON 88 wrote:

OK, this isn't about SW, but I figured some of you would have
experience with weather alert radios.

I'm looking for a good tabletop S.A.M.E. weather alert radio that can
be configured to receive only the type of alerts I want to hear. For
example, I don't want the radio to be triggered by amber alerts. Most
of the reviews and specs I've found online don't say if specific
alerts can be blocked. I don't care if it receives AM/FM broadcasts or
not.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

You might want to pose your question over on rec.radio.scanner as well.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old April 11th 10, 01:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

http://www.devilfinder.com
Weather Alert only Radios

You might find something there.

They all mooved awayyyyyyy,,,,,, said the voice of a strangerr,,,,, by
that beautiful hommme,,,,,,,, by the bright crystal seaaaa,,,,,,
somedayyy I will meet them in Heaven,,,,,,, where no one will
beeeeee,,,,,, a strangerr to meeeeeee,,,,,,,
cuhulin

Old April 11th 10, 01:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"DEFCON 88" wrote in message
OK, this isn't about SW, but I figured some of you would have
experience with weather alert radios.

I'm looking for a good tabletop S.A.M.E. weather alert radio that can
be configured to receive only the type of alerts I want to hear. For
example, I don't want the radio to be triggered by amber alerts. Most
of the reviews and specs I've found online don't say if specific
alerts can be blocked. I don't care if it receives AM/FM broadcasts or
not.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

The Midland model which has AM+FM in it (silver in color; blue display) I
believe can be programmed to respond only to certain alerts by alert type.
I think it's model WR300. I have a different model, but a relative has
one.

Amazon.com has a WR301, which is the same electronics; just a different
case color.

Both are about $50.00 US. Retail suggested price may be $60 by now in some
places.

Old April 11th 10, 02:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I think cell phones can be programed to receive weather alerts only, as
far as weather alerts are concerned.Check with your local radio and tv
stations about that.
I don't have a cell phone, so I don't know.
cuhulin

Old April 11th 10, 05:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 10, 4:27*pm, DEFCON 88 wrote:
OK, this isn't about SW, but I figured some of you would have
experience with weather alert radios.

I'm looking for a good tabletop S.A.M.E. weather alert radio that can
be configured to receive only the type of alerts I want to hear. For
example, I don't want the radio to be triggered by amber alerts. Most
of the reviews and specs I've found online don't say if specific
alerts can be blocked. I don't care if it receives AM/FM broadcasts or
not.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

TNX.

I'm just going to give you my take on it because at one time I wanted
the same thing, the receiver with the SAME.

Hopefully it works well for you. I know why people (most people) want
the one with the SAME technology. I don't know what state you live in
or how far or close your different counties are - or for that matter
the terrain in your area. But just be aware, that if you are just
using your SAME receiver and you don't have your local tv stations on
or your local radio station - - that a very bad storm can jump on you
before you know it.

I bought the Rat Shack SAME weather radio maybe in 02-03? It was
either the first or second that had that technology ( I think), and
worse of all - I bought it for a friend for Christmas because it was
one of the five gifts I had him write down and I would pick which one
of the five for him. I wished I hadn't done it.

I programmed it for him just the way he wanted it, make a long story
short - by the time his radio alerted his wife - it was too late and a
huge storm was already on his area and tore the crap out of his house
and two barns and it was a close call for his wife and child. I had
explained to him - I'll program it for the county/counties closest to
you. But he wanted none of it - he and his wife didn't want to hear
"false alarms."

So, just use common sense. Myself, I own the older Midland Weather
Monitor Model# 74-109
It is the most sensitive weather radio I have owned (I've owned
three). Many don't want one like I have - hence the SAME Technology.
But I have mine hooked to an external antenna maybe 18-23 ft. high
along with the regular inside antenna which I can switch back and
forth. I can hear of storms three counties to the east / four to the
south/ four to the west and not so sure how many to the north - I know
two for sure.

Enjoy your weather radio.:-)

Old April 11th 10, 05:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 10, 9:33*pm, wrote:
I think cell phones can be programed to receive weather alerts only, as
far as weather alerts are concerned.Check with your local radio and tv
stations about that.
I don't have a cell phone, so I don't know.
cuhulin

No cell? What if Doggie got away and wanted to call you? You'd be
screwed. Think about it.
Old April 11th 10, 02:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

It is good to know if stormy weather a few Counties away from you is
moving into your County/your City area.A weather radio which sounds an
alert when it is almost too late isn't such a good idea, in my
opinion.People who are driving/Airplane Pilots/Ship Pilots need to know
what kind of weather to be advised of.

If I was driving from here to New Orleans or Dallas or Little Rock or
Memphis or Birmingham or Pensacola, I would want to know what kind of
bad weather to look out for.
cuhulin

Old April 11th 10, 02:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 4/10/2010 4:27 PM, DEFCON 88 wrote:
OK, this isn't about SW, but I figured some of you would have
experience with weather alert radios.

I'm looking for a good tabletop S.A.M.E. weather alert radio that can
be configured to receive only the type of alerts I want to hear. For
example, I don't want the radio to be triggered by amber alerts. Most
of the reviews and specs I've found online don't say if specific
alerts can be blocked. I don't care if it receives AM/FM broadcasts or
not.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

TNX.

You may want to take Steve's advice, and check the scanner groups.
there is also a few weather related groups here on usenet.
any way, every thing is made in china, so, the name on the front
won't make a bunch of difference. i picked up a new one last fall
at the local radio shack. 12-519. it was on sale, and a new model.
it receives as well as any weather/ same radio does. they all
are much the same. this model is able to remove the whip and hook
up an out side type antenna. something new on this type of receiver.
so, i thought, what the hell. and, next to 2 other same type receivers,
it does receive a bit better. has all the bells and such, and a nice
blue LCD. so, i gotta tell ya, one radio is just about the same as
the others. all will give you an alert, etc. so, maybe you might
look around for a sale, or a place that will take a return.
good luck.

Drifter...
Old April 12th 10, 08:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On various dates at various times various people wrote:

Various stuff about weather alert radios

Thanks for the input. I finally found WX receiver reviews on the web
and decided on the Reecom R-1630. It seems a bit better than the
Midland WR300, but the point about all these things being made in
China is well taken. So roll the dice and cross fingers.

Weather Radios Recalled by Oregon Scientific Due to Failure to Receive National Weather Service Alerts Mark S. Scanner 9 September 5th 07 01:42 AM
Need Advice For Weather Alert Radio: S.A.M.E. WX RADIO TO BUY?? Crackles McFarly Scanner 5 August 8th 07 12:10 AM
New Weather Radios...? Axl Scanner 4 June 19th 04 06:46 AM
Reecom R-1630 SAME weather alert radio Ryan Scanner 0 May 8th 04 10:19 PM
Weather Radios and Weather Warning Service The Dawn Soliloquy Shortwave 7 July 12th 03 08:45 PM