Old April 16th 10, 07:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Grundig G5 VS Grundig G3

Hello
Sitting in the back yard away from the house using just the
telescopic whip antennas the older Grundig G5 whupped the newer G3 in
AM reception. Medium wave AM G5 was more sensitive.
Shortwave too, 15 mhz time signal not audible on G3 was heard faintly
on G5.
Anyone else notice this?
Mike
Old April 16th 10, 07:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 16, 11:09*am, Mike Mc Manus wrote:
Hello
* Sitting in the back yard away from the house using just the
telescopic whip antennas the older Grundig G5 whupped the newer G3 in
AM reception. *Medium wave AM G5 was more sensitive.
Shortwave too, 15 mhz time signal not audible on G3 was heard faintly
on G5.
* Anyone else notice this?
Mike

My impression is that everyone who knows the G5 feels it is one of the
better radios out of China, period. Selectivity, front end and sound
quality are apparently quite good too. I'm not big on tiny portables,
but I'd sure love to give this one a try.

Bruce Jensen
Old April 16th 10, 09:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 16, 2:17*pm, bpnjensen wrote:
On Apr 16, 11:09*am, Mike Mc Manus wrote:

Hello
* Sitting in the back yard away from the house using just the
telescopic whip antennas the older Grundig G5 whupped the newer G3 in
AM reception. *Medium wave AM G5 was more sensitive.
Shortwave too, 15 mhz time signal not audible on G3 was heard faintly
on G5.
* Anyone else notice this?
Mike

My impression is that everyone who knows the G5 feels it is one of the
better radios out of China, period. *Selectivity, front end and sound
quality are apparently quite good too. *I'm not big on tiny portables,
but I'd sure love to give this one a try.

Bruce Jensen

I think that Radio Shack is selling the G5 cheap now. I'll be
returning my G3 to Radio Shack ASAP.
Mike McManus
Old April 16th 10, 09:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 11:09:13 -0700 (PDT), Mike Mc Manus
wrote:

Hello
Sitting in the back yard away from the house using just the
telescopic whip antennas the older Grundig G5 whupped the newer G3 in
AM reception. Medium wave AM G5 was more sensitive.
Shortwave too, 15 mhz time signal not audible on G3 was heard faintly
on G5.
Anyone else notice this?
Mike

Similar reports on eham.net. Some suggest sample to sample variation
due to poor quality control on early G3's.

Jim
Old April 16th 10, 09:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 16, 1:06*pm, Mike Mc Manus wrote:
On Apr 16, 2:17*pm, bpnjensen wrote:

On Apr 16, 11:09*am, Mike Mc Manus wrote:

Hello
* Sitting in the back yard away from the house using just the
telescopic whip antennas the older Grundig G5 whupped the newer G3 in
AM reception. *Medium wave AM G5 was more sensitive.
Shortwave too, 15 mhz time signal not audible on G3 was heard faintly
on G5.
* Anyone else notice this?
Mike

My impression is that everyone who knows the G5 feels it is one of the
better radios out of China, period. *Selectivity, front end and sound
quality are apparently quite good too. *I'm not big on tiny portables,
but I'd sure love to give this one a try.

Bruce Jensen

I think that Radio Shack is selling the G5 cheap now. * *I'll be
returning my G3 to Radio Shack ASAP.
Mike McManus- Hide quoted text -

My local RS are all sold out - the managers cannot even recall the
radios.

Old April 16th 10, 09:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:12:54 -0700 (PDT), bpnjensen
wrote:

[...]

Same here. Plenty of G6's in stock for 100 bucks.

The new radio is called the G6 and they can't remember the G5?
Sounds like typical management material.

Jim
Old April 17th 10, 03:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
[...]

Most RS managers know nothing about shortwave. That said, there are
some G5's still on closeout at scattered locations. I bought a new in
the box set with AC adapter and owner's manual for $59 and change at
the Southside Plaza RS store in Richmond a few weeks ago. It's a
great radio for that price. Ask the manager of your local RS store to
do a nationwide search for the G5. At one time, Radio Shack would
ship any item to nearby store free of charge.

Sky Captain
Richmond, Va.
Old April 17th 10, 11:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
Hello
*Sitting in the back yard away from the house using just the
telescopic whip antennas the older Grundig G5 whupped the newer G3 in
AM reception. *Medium wave AM G5 was more sensitive.
Shortwave too, 15 mhz time signal not audible on G3 was heard faintly
on G5.
*Anyone else notice this?
Mike

Similar reports on eham.net. Some suggest sample to sample variation
due to poor quality control on early G3's.

Jim

Yeah I think it was the G3 I checked out at RS, I posted about it in
here. I definitely don't want to rag on anyone that has it because
maybe (like was said) the quality control varied from set to set. But
all I know is that I checked one out at their store close to quitting
time and the guy/gal allowed me to clip on my already made maybe 20ft.
of wire.

Granted it was the shelf unit, but it was at the very top shelf at the
back of the store....so my guess is that there weren't many people
that actually reached up that high and pulled it down, may be wrong
though. Make a long story short, that particular set was laughable.
The dials wobbled, it felt almost like a childs radio and I was in one
of those moods that I was going to buy that radio come hell or high
water when I walked in that store. I am sure it had to be a bad piece
because one would basically IMO have to be somewhat of a beginner to
buy the one I had in my hands. No doubt, the G5 HAS TOO be better,
both feel wise/switches-knobs wise/ more selective....everything. If I
happen to drive by there and have the time I definitely want to check
out the G5 though it would really serve no purpose for me except in
having another radio.
Old April 17th 10, 11:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
[...]

I just visited another RS today - they knew the G5 radio, said they
just sold the last one, and after looking a bit could not find a sku #
to see if any showed up at any other stores. Oh, well.

That G6, though, is TINY! Damn thing is almost invisible.
Old April 18th 10, 01:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 17, 4:52*pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:

I just visited another RS today - they knew the G5 radio, said they
just sold the last one, and after looking a bit could not find a sku #
to see if any showed up at any other stores. *Oh, well.

This help?http://tinyurl.com/yyulx9y
SKU: 750254801679

--

Operator Bob
Echo Charlie 42

Hmm - apparently not - RS website finds nothing here either :-(

You managed to find the only website with a 100% negative rating on
the G5! :-)