Old June 14th 10, 08:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Why Solder the Ends of Stranded Antenna Wire ?

In article ,
says...
"Krypsis" wrote in message
u...
On 13/06/2010 10:26 PM, Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:
wrote in message
Never heard of such a thing. I use insulators at each end, and in the
old days I used a neon bulb or a 12V tail light bulb as a bleed off. I
went to gas discharge tube arrestors a long time ago. The 12V bulb made
a really nice light show on winter days when the wind was really going.

What kind of buld exactly is a "12V tail light bulb"?

An automotive 12 volt, 5 watt bulb (globe) with (usually) a bayonet
fitting. You can get bulbs that have dual filaments, one filament for tail
lights, the other for brake or indicator lights. The brake/indicator light
filament has a higher wattage rating (21 - 25 Watts) so the bayonet
typically has staggered locating pins. This prevents the higher wattage
rating being used as the tail light filament.

http://www.eziautoparts.com.au/light...or-globes.html

New technology is seeing the incandescent bulbs being superseded by LED
arrays.

Krypsis

But that would most definitely not light from the static electricity induced
in an antenna wire on a stormy night and would shunt away much of the wanted
signal anyway.

Wanna bet? And the signal loss was minimal on the huge antenna I used it
on. Actually, that was a bonus as the signal level on that antenna was
really too much for all my receivers. The local AMBC station was so
strong here anyway, I needed a BC killer filter plus 10 or 20DB
attenuation to keep from hearing it in the background all the time. I
was kind of happy when it came apart and I had to redo it, and I
basically cut it in half, size wise. I still had more than enough
antenna for ute listening. When I cut the size down, I went to the gas
discharge tube type arrestors, one for each receiver.

So I think BDK must mean something else.

Nope.

Either that or he's making it up as he goes.

Nope again, I got woke up several times when I forgot to flip the short
out switch before I went to bed. When it's really cold out, and the wind
blows, there's enough voltage to light up a bulb pretty brightly on
peaks. It had to be really cold, and really windy for it to light up. In
a lit up room, it wasn't very bright, but in the middle of the night, it
was hard to miss.

BTW, I didn't use any kind of matching transformer, I had no use for any
more signal strength than I had already with just a straight coax
hookup. I'm very close to a river and once the eclectic company replaced
the bad transformer that was driving me crazy for years, it's a pretty
quiet area, RF wise.

--
BDK, non-jew leader of the non-existant jew paid shills!
Old June 14th 10, 01:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Gregg, this is more of your work. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Radiomatt wrote:
LarbGai wrote:
On Jun 14, 12:28 pm, Krypsis wrote:

I have always preferred soldered joints so I'm with you on this one!

Krypsis

*******Judging by the amount of crap you post around here I would say
that you much prefer a different sort of joint.

Spliff away old man. Whooooooooooooooooooo

;-)

Come on, tea lady. We know this is your work. Don't try to deny it.

;-)
Old June 14th 10, 01:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Gregg, this is more of your work. You should be ashamed ofyour...

I have a whole roll and more than half of another roll of genuine real
sho nuff Solder.You can't hardly find real Solder anymore.

Tail Lights, you say?
http://www.taillightking.com
cuhulin

Old June 14th 10, 11:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"BDK" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
wrote in message
[...]

No way was the static lighting up a 12V 5W filament bulb.

You might conceivably seen something if there was a lightening strike
closeby.

Or maybe the filament was actually open circuit and you were seeing some
kind of gas discharge.

BTW, I didn't use any kind of matching transformer, I had no use for any
more signal strength than I had already with just a straight coax
hookup. I'm very close to a river and once the eclectic company replaced
the bad transformer that was driving me crazy for years, it's a pretty
quiet area, RF wise.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Old June 15th 10, 09:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
says...
"BDK" wrote in message
In article ,

says...
wrote in message
[...]

It lit it up a few times every winter, in the daytime, or with the
lights on, it was hard to see, so it might have lit up more often. I saw
it in the dark easily enough though.

You might conceivably seen something if there was a lightening strike
closeby.

Not in the winter.

Or maybe the filament was actually open circuit and you were seeing some
kind of gas discharge.

I don't think so, but I tossed the bulb and the little box and socket
when I went to the gas discharge tubes, so I don't know.

Old June 15th 10, 11:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jun 14, 3:39*pm, "Brian Gregory [UK]" wrote:
"BDK" wrote in message

In article ,
says...
.au...

http://www.eziautoparts.com.au/light...l-and-indicato....

[...]

Would you notice a Flashlight spotted on you
for a second from 50 Feet away when a nearby
Lightning Strike lit-up the Sky during that same
second --- nah

Old June 15th 10, 11:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"BDK" wrote in message
No way was the static lighting up a 12V 5W filament bulb.

It lit it up a few times every winter, in the daytime, or with the
lights on, it was hard to see, so it might have lit up more often. I saw
it in the dark easily enough though.

A weakly lit up filament bulb is a deep reddy orange. Is that what you saw?

Old June 16th 10, 12:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Did you strike a match to see if that light was lit?
cuhulin

Old June 16th 10, 02:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
says...
Did you strike a match to see if that light was lit?
cuhulin

Right after you lit one to see if there was gas in that tank.
--
BDK, non-jew leader of the non-existant jew paid shills!