Old December 19th 10, 01:28 PM
Junior Member

Default is there a way to test a SSB radio?

hello, i am new to shortwave listening, i just got a kaito 1103, mainly to receive weather fax while out on my boat in California, but I am in utah now messing about with it, and I am wondering if 1)I just need more practice tuning, or 2)are there just no signals here I can hear, 3) or is my radio faulty? and how do I know which? I cannot seem to pull in any signal I can recognize as a broadcast, with the exception of the FMs and MF AM stations local to my home here. (1160).

I have strung the wire antenna about head high across several large windows inside my house, which is a normal 1 story brick bungalow. (no big steel beams or massive lead walls...). I found a string of posts on this forum from 2006 with a fellow named Matt who described exactly what I am going through and there were several suggestions to him of how to very carefully try to tune in, and I have been trying that, at all hours of the day and night, aware that many signals seem to propogate better at dusk, dawn, and night.

is there any way to test whether my radio is faulty, or is it just me?

thanks and happy holidays
Kyle
Old December 19th 10, 06:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Ya ain't gonna receive Weather Fax on that little radio. Who ever sold it
to you and told you that you can, told you one big lie.
Hope you didn't pay too much, it's an older model now with an simulated
analog display that eats batteries. The Sony ICF-7700 had the same dumb
screen ... not battery friendly. "The Kaito" with a lousy volume up/down
procedure. Unless you are at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, you should be
able to pick up quite a bit more than you are getting. It is a sensitive
radio. Try it outside away from any electrical interference if possible
these days.
I believe you may just have a FAULTY radio.
The User Guide:
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i...L000061258.pdf
http://radio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Divers/DE1103.pdf

--
kyle williams

signature database 5716 (20101219) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5716 (20101219) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old December 20th 10, 03:30 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobbs View Post
kyle williams wrote:

[...]

You should be able to receive more than KSL with even a minimum antenna.
try the eternal WWV freqs or some popular HAM water holes like 3840.
You didn't say if there was any white noise on those 'dead' bands, so maybe
you've got a defective radio, do you even get static pops from a light switch?
Maybe you could tune up to the "S" (****izens) band 27.185 for a test?
Hi Bob and thanks for the ideas. I should have been more plain, I do hear copious and variable white noises that changes pitch and tone as I tune. I can also watch the signal indicator rise and fall as I go through the bands. and I forgot to mention that I did hear a very faint and brief time stamp message on 15000, only once though, I can't seem to get it to come in again.

we in the middle of a nasty storm here in Utah so I have not taken the radio outside, but I will keep trying.
cheers
Kyle
Old December 20th 10, 05:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Dec 20, 7:30*am, kyle williams kyle.williams.
wrote:
Bob Dobbs;726260 Wrote:

kyle williams wrote: -

[...]

KW,

Kaito 1103 Shortwave Radio with SSB
Dual Conversion Digital Display
http://www.kaitousa.com/KA1103.htm

Try the WWV & WWVH "Time Signal" in Double Side-Band
at 5.000 MHz and 10.000 MHz; besides 15.000 MHz

First Tune-in using AM Mode using the Wide Filter
Note - Make sure that the Fine-Tuning control is set
in the middle of it's range.
http://radiointel.net/radio-receiver...-kaito-ka1103/

Then switch to Single Side-Band [SSB] Mode* and
use the Fine-Tuning control to Clarify the Audio Signal
in -LSB and +USB.

* You may also switch to the Narrow Filter
for the LSB Mode.

Practice your LSB & USB Fine-Tuning skills
on WWV & WWVH ~ RHF
Old December 21st 10, 01:02 PM
Junior Member

kyle williams wrote:
I forgot to mention that I did hear a very faint
and brief time stamp message on 15000, only once though, I can't seem to
get it to come in again.

The higher WWV freqs are generally better propagated during the daytime,
If your listening is mostly at night then 5000 will likely be stronger as well
as some strong Caribbean stations (RHC) in the 60m band.
thanks again to you both for your help. i am hearing a bit more the more I fiddle with it. last night I heard some hispanic music and the time stamps on 15000, and several donald duck voices i was not able to resolve clearly, but they were there. (i forgot to note what frequencies I was heasring them on. ARGH. ) I will keep trying.

cheers
kyle

Old December 21st 10, 01:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Dobbs wrote:
kyle williams wrote:
I forgot to mention that I did hear a very faint
and brief time stamp message on 15000, only once though, I can't seem to
get it to come in again.

The higher WWV freqs are generally better propagated during the daytime,
If your listening is mostly at night then 5000 will likely be stronger as well
as some strong Caribbean stations (RHC) in the 60m band.

Utah might be too close for the HF. WWVB would work 24/7 there.
Old December 22nd 10, 03:28 PM
Junior Member

dave wrote:
Bob Dobbs wrote:
kyle williams wrote:
I forgot to mention that I did hear a very faint
and brief time stamp message on 15000, only once though, I can't seem to
get it to come in again.

The higher WWV freqs are generally better propagated during the daytime,
If your listening is mostly at night then 5000 will likely be stronger as well
as some strong Caribbean stations (RHC) in the 60m band.

Utah might be too close for the HF.

Not too close for the evening 2500kc WWV,
then there's WWVH for daytime.

WWVB would work 24/7 there.

of course WWVB works almost everywhere,
even on my wrist watches.
yahoo! i was able to start getting several signals yesterday late morning. most were in the 13-15000Kz range, most were in spanish so I was never sure if they announced where they were located or not. I did pick up LWF.org on 13570. they are out of TN but I am sure they have repeaters everywhere including Utah.

I have been stringing my little wire antenna around the room across several big windows but yesterday I tried an experiment of winding it around a 6' PVC pipe and leaning it against the window and that seemed to give as good or better a signal. I plan to use this receiver on my boat so a small simple antenna is important to me, although I plan to use my mast to run it up at least 30 feet. I have searched these forums about antennas and see many huge heated discussions about the subject with no consensus. seems everyone has very strong opinion, and they all make what seem like valid points. So here we go again: Would I gain much by trying an active antenna, or is my little wire as much as this little radio can handle?

. thanks for your helps.
kyle
Old December 22nd 10, 05:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

kyle williams wrote:
Bob Dobbs;726476 Wrote:
dave wrote: -

-
[...]

For SSB try 14.250 and up USB during the afternoon
Old December 22nd 10, 11:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Weather FAX Repeaters ?

On Dec 22, 7:28*am, kyle williams kyle.williams.
wrote:
Bob Dobbs;726476 Wrote:

dave wrote: -
Bob Dobbs wrote:-
kyle williams wrote:-
[...]

IIRC Weather FAX does not use 'Repeaters' :

The U.S. Coast Guard provided Weather FAX just
uses the Shortwave [High Frequency]
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/mthffax.html

Note - Some local areas {SF Bay Area} used to use
the un-used UHF TV Channels to Broadcast a TV
Image of the Local Radar and Weather for the many
Boaters who did not have SSB Radios for use to
receive the Weather FAX. -is-this-still-being-done-?-

-may-be- Weather FAX is now 'available' At-Sea
over the Internet via Dish ?

Old December 22nd 10, 11:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Basic Indoor {Across-the-Window} Shortwave Radio Listening [SWL]'Mini' Folded Dipole Antenna {No-Ground-Required}

wrote:
Bob Dobbs;726476 Wrote:

dave wrote: -
Bob Dobbs wrote:-
kyle williams wrote:-
[...]

Listening 'Mini' Folded Dipole Antenna :
{No-Ground-Required}
For simple at-home Antenna for 'portable' AM/FM
Shortwave Radio Listening is made using a 1/8"
Mono-Plug that is Solder* to an already-made
FM Folded Dipole Antenna
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg
that is stretched across a Window or along an
outside wall.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062691

-or- Use a Pair of TV 'Rabbit-Ears' that uses Twin-Lead
with the ends of the Twin-Lead soldered to a 1/8"
Mono-Plug will work 'ok' too.
http://anitaburns.files.wordpress.co...abbit-ears.png
Spread the 'Rabbit-Ears' in a "V" across the Window.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000069EUX
https://www.cornells.com/products/inexpensive-rabbit-ear-antenna|663864.html

PLUG-IT-IN : Plug your new External Antenna's 1/8"
Mono-Plug into the 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio's
1/8" Mono-Jack on the Left-Side of your Radio
http://www.kaitousa.com/radioimages/KA1103L.jpg
-yes-it's-that-easy- & iane ~ RHF

Packet Radio Test NCARES Swap 0 July 20th 09 05:21 PM
Ham Radio Test Webmaster Antenna 0 July 13th 08 09:47 PM
Ham Radio Test Webmaster Boatanchors 0 July 13th 08 09:47 PM
Ham Radio Test Webmaster Digital 0 July 13th 08 09:47 PM
ham radio psychololical Test. ID4 2.0 Policy 6 April 4th 05 12:52 AM