Old February 26th 11, 11:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Takes a LONG time to get to Micronesia...

Well, just e-corresponded with Sylvia, the very kind and helpful lady
at the other end at PMA The Cross Radio on FSM. She has not yet
received an envelope with recording and report I sent on 14 February :-
( Thought airmail would be a little quicker than that. It was a good
one too - Station ID and details nice and clear. Oh, well - maybe
I'll just have to try again.

Bruce Jensen
Old February 26th 11, 11:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 15:38:11 -0800 (PST), bpnjensen
wrote:

Well, just e-corresponded with Sylvia, the very kind and helpful lady
at the other end at PMA The Cross Radio on FSM. She has not yet
received an envelope with recording and report I sent on 14 February :-
( Thought airmail would be a little quicker than that. It was a good
one too - Station ID and details nice and clear. Oh, well - maybe
I'll just have to try again.

Bruce Jensen

Bruce,

For the recording, what media do you send them?

Jim(MI)
Old February 27th 11, 02:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
Well, just e-corresponded with Sylvia, the very kind and helpful lady
at the other end at PMA The Cross Radio on FSM. *She has not yet
received an envelope with recording and report I sent on 14 February :-
( *Thought airmail would be a little quicker than that. *It was a good
one too - Station ID and details nice and clear. *Oh, well - maybe
I'll just have to try again.

Bruce Jensen

Bruce,

For the recording, what media do you send them?

Jim(MI)

I sent a cassette tape in a standard plastic case in an envelope with
a report and a couple other things, which I had OKed ahead of time.
She can also accept MP3s, as per the website. Had the PO weigh and
apply the postage, so I know that's not the trouble. I am sure I had
the address right - it's pretty simple to begin with, and I always
double check.

It's a roundabout thing for me to convert a radio signal to an MP3,
but for ease of mailing or e-mailing, I might just do it from now on.

Bruce
Old February 27th 11, 07:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bruce, why couldn't you just send a "wave file"?

--
Burr
Adventure before Dementia

I'm a member of The Tea Party, I VOTE

Old February 28th 11, 01:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default I can

On 02/27/2011 08:47 PM, bpnjensen wrote:
On Feb 26, 11:49 pm, wrote:
Bruce, why couldn't you just send a "wave file"?

--
Burr

Thanks, Burr, I would not rule that out - but I am not sure my
existing software can make or convert to a wavefile (.wav). All I
have is MS and Windows sound recording software (creates a .wma file)
and some software Brenda found for me that can convert to an MP3.

If you or anyone has some ideas about this, I (not being a PC-savvy
person at all) would be most appreciative.

Bruce

Burn a Live CD of Puppy Linux. Then cold boot your computer with the
Live CD. A fully-functional version of Puppy Linux will set itself up in
a few minutes. It is preloaded with all kinds of hacker goodness. After
a while, you may decide you prefer it. It'll run completely in RAM; it
only makes a save file with your permission. You shouldn't need to ever
install it on your hard drive, unless you really want to.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=2

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%...%20Release.htm

Old March 1st 11, 03:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 1, 1:43*am, RHF wrote:
On Feb 26, 3:38*pm, bpnjensen wrote:

Well, just e-corresponded with Sylvia, the very kind and helpful lady
at the other end at PMA The Cross Radio on FSM. *She has not yet
received an envelope with recording and report I sent on 14 February :-
( *Thought airmail would be a little quicker than that. *It was a good
one too - Station ID and details nice and clear. *Oh, well - maybe
I'll just have to try again.

Bruce Jensen

Using your Icom IC-R75 Receiver -use-a-http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/0175rear.html
CD Recorder; Digital Voice Recorder; iPod
plug-in-to your Recorder Jack (Rec)

~ RHF
*.

Thanks for this - A great idea, but expenses being what they are, I am
trying to live with what I have.

I do have a small Olympus vox recorder lying around somewhere - I may
see if I can get it working - but for now, I am using an excellent
quality old-fashioned cassette recorder. Just last week, I figured
out how to pump the output of this into my PC to make digitized
recordings; just last night, I managed to burn a couple of CDs for
Voice of Russia and Radio Bulgaria (that don't sound half-bad) which I
assume any self-respecting radio station should be able to play back.
Old March 1st 11, 03:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 1, 7:31*am, bpnjensen wrote:
On Mar 1, 1:43*am, RHF wrote:

[...]

assume any self-respecting radio station should be able to play back.- Hide quoted text -

In case I did not make it clear, I am in fact using that R75 rec
output to the aux input on the tape recorder :-).
Old March 1st 11, 04:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 11-02-27 09:47 PM, bpnjensen wrote:

On Feb 26, 11:49 pm, "Burr" wrote:
Bruce, why couldn't you just send a "wave file"?

--
Burr

Thanks, Burr, I would not rule that out - but I am not sure my
existing software can make or convert to a wavefile (.wav). All I
have is MS and Windows sound recording software (creates a .wma file)
and some software Brenda found for me that can convert to an MP3.

If you or anyone has some ideas about this, I (not being a PC-savvy
person at all) would be most appreciative.

Bruce

Like dave said, concerning the Live Puppy Linux. You can access all your
windows files and do your mp3 changes. There should be full 'net access.

When you're done, removed the cd and reboot the machine. Nothing will
have changed in your existing Windoze setup. that's like taking the
*blue* pill.

All the Live Linux distributions on cd run pretty slow. You can't
compare that speed to a real hard drive installation. There is a 'dual
boot' option in most Linuxes, so you can keep windows where it is and
choose between the systems at startup time.

An extra hard drive is a good option. As you wean yourself off the
inferior, you spend more and more time away from the Gate's nightmare.

Installing it on an older (cheap or free) computer may be also quite
rewarding. There is usually a noticeable speed improvement and a good
feeling about having brought something back from the dead.

mike

Old March 1st 11, 05:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I have been emailing back and forth all morning with a computer
expert.(artiny probally knows who, B B) about computers.I haven't read
any new news updates yet.Lets me git onnnnn with doing that untill the
snail mail runs and then it's back over to the AT&T store and the
Goodwill store.You never know what kind of Goodies, or useless junk you
might find at Goodwill.
http://www.shopgoodwill.com
cuhulin, the junk

Old March 1st 11, 05:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 03/01/2011 07:31 AM, bpnjensen wrote:

Thanks for this - A great idea, but expenses being what they are, I am
trying to live with what I have.

I do have a small Olympus vox recorder lying around somewhere - I may
see if I can get it working - but for now, I am using an excellent
quality old-fashioned cassette recorder. Just last week, I figured
out how to pump the output of this into my PC to make digitized
recordings; just last night, I managed to burn a couple of CDs for
Voice of Russia and Radio Bulgaria (that don't sound half-bad) which I
assume any self-respecting radio station should be able to play back.

This is in every version of windows I ever used. An small mono .wav file
can play on any Windows machine and most Macs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Sound_Recorder

Radio's "Recession" Started A Long Time Ago IBOCcrock Shortwave 3 January 25th 08 08:45 AM
Micronesia: QSL dxAce Shortwave 0 December 6th 07 08:45 PM
Getting QSL Cards from contacts long time ago tladotse Dx 4 January 30th 07 03:12 PM
Nit Picking At It's Worst...Let's Just Say NO To This ARRL Request (Let's See How Long it Takes KB9RQZ To Take THIS Thread Off Topic.....) K4YZ Policy 3 December 13th 06 03:11 AM
B95 Flint MI fires long time Morning Man Magoo for having Cancer Abirdinsnowsings Broadcasting 0 January 31st 04 08:28 PM