Old March 23rd 14, 09:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Sensitivity of shortwave dropped ...

I have a Nissan Car radio with shortwave, and its sensitivity suddenly dropped on AM & SW. FM still ok.

What to do?

http://shortwave.tk
700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk
300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages.tk

Old March 23rd 14, 11:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sunday, March 23, 2014 5:28:50 PM UTC-4, marc wrote:
I have a Nissan Car radio with shortwave, and its sensitivity suddenly dropped on AM & SW. FM still ok.

What to do?

http://shortwave.tk

700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk

300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages.tk

Front end blown. Common problem. Parts may be unobtainium.
Old March 24th 14, 12:03 AM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc[_3_] View Post
I have a Nissan Car radio with shortwave, and its sensitivity suddenly dropped on AM & SW. FM still ok.

What to do?

http://shortwave.tk
700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk
300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages.tk
It could be atmospheric or weather conditions.

If after a couple of days it still doesn't work - I would check the antenna connections.

If that does not cure the problem then I would get another radio.
__________________
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...
Old March 24th 14, 06:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 22:28:50 +0100, marc wrote:

I have a Nissan Car radio with shortwave, and its sensitivity suddenly dropped on AM & SW. FM still ok.

What to do?

Well you can have it repaired or buy a new one. I think having it repaired
may be very costly or the parts necessary to do the repair are no longer
available.
Old March 24th 14, 07:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Mark Harvard wrote:

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 22:28:50 +0100, marc wrote:

I have a Nissan Car radio with shortwave, and its sensitivity suddenly dropped on AM & SW. FM still ok.

What to do?

Well you can have it repaired or buy a new one. I think having it repaired
may be very costly or the parts necessary to do the repair are no longer
available.

Does anyone still sell dash mount SW radios? (I know, I should follow my own usual advice and do a Google!).

I do recall in the late 70's when on occasion I would be a "duty driver" on my ship in the US Navy and I
would have to drive the Captain or others around, and in many cases in various ports in Europe we would have a
rental car which would have a dash radio which I seem to remember at least had the 49 meter band on it. Seems
as though I may remember listening to say Radio Luxembourg playing the latest hits?

Wonder if that's still a feature over there?

Old March 24th 14, 12:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 03/23/2014 02:28 PM, marc wrote:

I have a Nissan Car radio with shortwave, and its sensitivity suddenly dropped on AM & SW. FM still ok.

What to do?

Rod antenna? Active stub? Active on glass?
Old March 24th 14, 03:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Monday, March 24, 2014 8:43:08 AM UTC-4, dave wrote:
On 03/23/2014 02:28 PM, marc wrote:

I have a Nissan Car radio with shortwave, and its sensitivity suddenly dropped on AM & SW. FM still ok.

What to do?

Rod antenna? Active stub? Active on glass?

Without an antenna FM reception would be extremely poor in a car.
Old March 24th 14, 07:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014, dxAce wrote:

Mark Harvard wrote:

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 22:28:50 +0100, marc wrote:

I have a Nissan Car radio with shortwave, and its sensitivity suddenly dropped on AM & SW. FM still ok.

What to do?

Well you can have it repaired or buy a new one. I think having it repaired
may be very costly or the parts necessary to do the repair are no longer
available.

Does anyone still sell dash mount SW radios? (I know, I should follow my
own usual advice and do a Google!).

I don't know. I have no real idea of how common it ever was, but I know
I've seen some editions of Passport to Worldband Radio that bring up the
car radio issue, something to be sought but not easy to find. So the
question has been around for some time. Maybe it was always an issue,
maybe it got harder as time went by. There was that whole period when it
was common to have a shortwave band on home radios, and that's definitely
faded away.

I do recall in the late 70's when on occasion I would be a "duty driver"
on my ship in the US Navy and I would have to drive the Captain or
others around, and in many cases in various ports in Europe we would
have a rental car which would have a dash radio which I seem to remember
at least had the 49 meter band on it. Seems as though I may remember
listening to say Radio Luxembourg playing the latest hits?

Wonder if that's still a feature over there?

I thought in Europe longwave broadcasting kept on going for a long time,
so that would be more important than SW

People never really talk about car radios with shortwave, so either we
just don't get the European posters here, or maybe it has always been a
limited market.

Michael