Old April 15th 16, 08:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Kenwood R-1000

Hi I have a Kenwood R 1000 , love it . . it developed power problems . i have since stripped the power board . .unfortunately I cant get most of the important parts . do you know of any second hand or new boards available I really want this radio to work again. Regards Peter ZS5 PX

Old April 15th 16, 03:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 3:06:45 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi I have a Kenwood R 1000 , love it . . it developed power problems . i have since stripped the power board . .unfortunately I cant get most of the important parts . do you know of any second hand or new boards available I really want this radio to work again. Regards Peter ZS5 PX

What parts do you need ? Nearly anything inside a radio of this vintage should not be a problem .
Old April 15th 16, 07:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 07:47:44 -0700, karabas2001 wrote:

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 3:06:45 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi I have a Kenwood R 1000 , love it . . it developed power problems .
i have since stripped the power board . .unfortunately I cant get most
of the important parts . do you know of any second hand or new boards
available I really want this radio to work again. Regards Peter ZS5
PX

What parts do you need ? Nearly anything inside a radio of this vintage
should not be a problem .

Too bad it does not have tubes that can just be replaced.

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"
Old April 16th 16, 03:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016, sctvguy1 wrote:

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 07:47:44 -0700, karabas2001 wrote:

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 3:06:45 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi I have a Kenwood R 1000 , love it . . it developed power problems .
i have since stripped the power board . .unfortunately I cant get most
of the important parts . do you know of any second hand or new boards
available I really want this radio to work again. Regards Peter ZS5
PX

What parts do you need ? Nearly anything inside a radio of this vintage
should not be a problem .

Too bad it does not have tubes that can just be replaced.

But then you'd have all those paper capacitors that need replacing, and
maybe it's old enough that the resistors have changed value and may need
replacing too.

Like he said, there's a period when most parts in solid state radios are
still readily available. Maybe that's after silicon transistors took over,
I gather those with HRO-500s have had some problem replacing germanium
transistors (and probably the germanium transistors need replacing because
they've gone bad over time). But it's also a period before large scale
integration came along, so the ICs are plentiful but common analog or TTL.

I can't imagine anything from that vintage in the power supply being
really hard to get, a regulator IC might be hardest, but I suspect it
wouldn't be something hard to get now. The rest would be common
electrolytics, power diodes, maybe some transistors. They can be found,
and if not, suitable substitutes can be found.

It's later that seems to be a problem.

Michael

Old April 16th 16, 06:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 9:38:06 PM UTC-5, Michael Black wrote:
[...]

Ask bigclivedotcom ...at Youtube. Looka here, do you use a Mac computery? Don't plug in one of those hub thangys, just ask bigclivedotcom

Old April 16th 16, 09:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

sctvguy1 wrote:

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 07:47:44 -0700, karabas2001 wrote:

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 3:06:45 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi I have a Kenwood R 1000 , love it . . it developed power problems .
i have since stripped the power board . .unfortunately I cant get most
of the important parts . do you know of any second hand or new boards
available I really want this radio to work again. Regards Peter ZS5
PX

What parts do you need ? Nearly anything inside a radio of this vintage
should not be a problem .

Too bad it does not have tubes that can just be replaced.

Tubes last alot longer than paper and electrolytic capacitors.

Old April 17th 16, 08:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 04/16/2016 04:00 AM, analogdial wrote:
Tubes last alot longer than paper and electrolytic capacitors.

Now there's a blanket statement if I ever heard one.

My experience with the tube era was that a power supply
would commonly have problems with either the rectifier
tube or the electrolytics.

Back then - as a teen, that is - I was a lot better at replacing
tubes and swapping out electrolytics than I was at anything
else, so take this with a grain of salt, but there did seem to
be a lot of tube failures. The tubes that ran hot in the
miniature tube versions of the All American Five radio - the
50C5 output tube and the 35W4 (?) rectifier - were the usual
suspects.

Nowadays tube radios, etc., seem to be showpieces and not
actually used, with those ancient capacitors continuing to
age while the tube filaments remain intact; so, today at
least, the old tubes last way longer than those ancient
capacitors!

George

P.S. The All American Five in my garage is still plugged in
and still works fine at almost 50 years of age. Likely had
a tube or two replaced over the years and little else.
Old April 18th 16, 12:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 1:48:00 PM UTC-5, G Cornelius wrote:
[...]

Do you remember that many stores had tube testers and some of those stores sold tubes too? I reckymember them.
Old April 18th 16, 07:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 4/17/2016 4:33 PM, DhiaDuit wrote:
[...]

I'm old enough to remember those well. I had a beast Hallicrafters short
wave tube radio that I'd stay up much to late listening to. Good memories.

WTB: Kenwood R-1000 Steve Boatanchors 0 January 6th 07 08:37 PM
Kenwood R-1000 DJ Shortwave 0 January 6th 07 03:14 AM
WTB: Kenwood R-1000 [email protected] Swap 0 July 8th 06 12:47 AM
Kenwood R-1000 SR Shortwave 4 September 1st 05 08:13 PM
Kenwood R-1000 vs. Sat 800 Frank Simmons Shortwave 0 November 26th 03 04:21 PM