Old January 14th 19, 07:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Sangean ATS 909X with corrupt firmware?

Hi, I am from Brazil and my name is Ricardo.

I have a Radio Sangean ATS 909X, serial number 1478579, 2014, China, software information 1.29R (firmware/software version).
This radio works fine in most of its main functionalities.
However, some important functionalities described on the user manual do not work.

For example:
1.The button SSB does not work. I mean, I cannot listen to SSB (LSB/USB) stations;
2.The green button (On/Off) does not work in some situations (to turn off the radio, I have to press the button Time set (1 - see user manual), Daylight Save Time Switch (2 – see user manual) or “(13) STEP”;
3.The “(1) Time set”, “(2) Daylight Save Time Switch” and “(3) Home / World Time Selection” do not work as shown on the user manual;
4.The set of buttons “(14) Tuning Up and Tuning Down”, just Tuning Down works;
5.If I press the button “(13) STEP”, the radio turns off (to switch the tuning speed I have to press the button “(3) Home / World Time Selection”;
6.The action “reset Time and Microprocessor” by using the “RESET SWITCH” does not change the behavior reported above.

In general, I can listen to FM, LW, MW, and regular SW stations. Despite this situation, I think it is a really nice radio. For this reason, I would like some support or instructions that help me to fix these issues.

I look forward to your cooperation.
Respectfully,
Ricardo.

Old January 16th 19, 03:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

First, I'm not familiar with the ATS 909X, but if you're asking if the firmware can be reflashed, I think contacting Sangean directly would be the best approach.

Second, maybe the problems are caused by such things as poor connections or a cracked circuit board. Sometimes problems such as these are sensitive to twisting or otherwise stressing the case. A useful clue. If you haven't done these sorts or repairs, it's worth remembering that it's easier to make things worse than it is to make them better.
Old January 16th 19, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 12:55:54 PM UTC-6, Ricardo Caratti wrote:
[...]

The SSB control is not a "Button"!

There is an On / Off SWITCH

and a KNOB for USB and LSB adjustment.

One then needs a SOURCE of SSB broadcast.

One of the several HAM bands, at the right time of day.

The Time Signals from WWV and CHU.

Good luck!

J.C.
Old January 16th 19, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

[...]

It's also a Radio Shack DX-392.

Old January 16th 19, 07:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 8:51:06 AM UTC-6, Frank wrote:
First, I'm not familiar with the ATS 909X, but if you're asking if the firmware can be reflashed, I think contacting Sangean directly would be the best approach.

Second, maybe the problems are caused by such things as poor connections or a cracked circuit board. Sometimes problems such as these are sensitive to twisting or otherwise stressing the case. A useful clue. If you haven't done these sorts or repairs, it's worth remembering that it's easier to make things worse than it is to make them better.

It's also a Radio Shack DX-398

J.C.
Old January 16th 19, 07:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Em quarta-feira, 16 de janeiro de 2019 15:04:49 UTC-3, escreveu:
On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 8:51:06 AM UTC-6, Frank wrote:
First, I'm not familiar with the ATS 909X, but if you're asking if the firmware can be reflashed, I think contacting Sangean directly would be the best approach.

Second, maybe the problems are caused by such things as poor connections or a cracked circuit board. Sometimes problems such as these are sensitive to twisting or otherwise stressing the case. A useful clue. If you haven't done these sorts or repairs, it's worth remembering that it's easier to make things worse than it is to make them better.

It's also a Radio Shack DX-398

J.C.

Hi J.C.
Thanks for your answer.
Are you talking about Sangean ATS 909X?

You said: The SSB control is not a "Button"!
The ATS 909X has a button to switch from AM to SSB. See photo.
I am talking about this button. I did not talk about the fine tune or SSB control. The SSB button does not work as described on the "Sangean ATS 909x" manual.

You said: "One then needs a SOURCE of SSB broadcast"
I am a ham radio, call sign PU2CLR. Believe me, I know how to listen to LSB and USB stations on my radios.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help me.
73 de PU2CLR.
Ricardo.

Old January 17th 19, 03:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

You could also ask at sci.electronics.repair