Old April 11th 19, 02:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Tweaks for a stock whip antenna?

So, recently, I've thought to get more serious about trying to use an
RTL-SDR type computer dongle, to try and recieve SW broadcasts (and
anything else, as opportunity allows). What I'd like to ask is this.

Included with the dongle is a magnetic mounted antenna system, that
I'll mount on a backing pan, as well as a 1.5 meter,and (I think) a
1.0 meter telescoping antenna. Is there anything I can do, in terms of
perhaps tweaking how far I telescope the main element out, to tune it
to a particular band?

Or am I just SOL, and should upgrade to a better antenna, without
exception?
Old April 11th 19, 03:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 21:47:04 -0400, Derek Schur wrote:

+AD4 So, recently, I've thought to get more serious about trying to use an
+AD4 RTL-SDR type computer dongle, to try and recieve SW broadcasts (and
+AD4 anything else, as opportunity allows). What I'd like to ask is this.
+AD4
+AD4 Included with the dongle is a magnetic mounted antenna system, that I'll
+AD4 mount on a backing pan, as well as a 1.5 meter,and (I think) a 1.0 meter
+AD4 telescoping antenna. Is there anything I can do, in terms of perhaps
+AD4 tweaking how far I telescope the main element out, to tune it to a
+AD4 particular band?
+AD4
+AD4 Or am I just SOL, and should upgrade to a better antenna, without
+AD4 exception?

What problems are you having with your antenna right now?

A 1.5 meter antenna is far short of resonant at any SW frequency but your
dongle will probably work OK with that length. If you feel like
experimenting, try adding some wire to the end of the antenna. That's
cheap and easy and you can keep going longer and longer until the radio
starts overloading on local broadcast stations.

There's a formula for making resonant antennas, which you can look up, if
you care. Mostly, it's not all that valuable for receiving antennas.

Don't expect a great deal of improvement from better indoor SW antennas.
Any improvement in received signal will also be accompanied by more
electrical noise.

The most worthwhile improvement will come if you can get your antenna
away from the electrical noisemakers inside the house. Computers
(obvious problem for your dongle), internet gateways and TV sets/monitors
can be particularly bad.

Try to find the most electrically quiet location for your antenna.