Old July 7th 03, 03:10 AM
Brian Denley

Default Multicoupler for multiple receivers?

Anyone using an antenna multicoupler (powered or unpowered)? The powered
versions allow multiple receivers to be simultaneously connected to a single
antenna without loss. Looking for experiences, recommendations, etc.

--
Brian Denley

Old July 7th 03, 03:16 AM
DPeterMaus

Brian Denley wrote:
Anyone using an antenna multicoupler (powered or unpowered)? The powered
versions allow multiple receivers to be simultaneously connected to a single
antenna without loss. Looking for experiences, recommendations, etc.

I've been using actives by both I.C.E. and Stridsburg for a
nunber of years. Both are quiet, with good isolation, and make for
very convenient use of multiple receivers. I can got with 8
receivers at a time with a single antenna, if need be, with no
noticeable interaction.

I took a hit from a nearby lightning strike a few years ago, and
it took out the I.C.E. multicoupler. I.C.E. service was quick,
clean, with zero headaches. Stridsburg, from experience of a
colleague is the same.

Stridsburg pieces are built to mil spec, and are easily
available. I.C.E. is less easy to find.

I've noticed no practical difference between the two.

Old July 7th 03, 05:45 AM
Steve Ratzlaff

I had a bad experience with a Stridsberg active coupler, for 2 outputs.
I bought it mainly for use below HF. It didn't work--had excessive loss
below about 3MHz. I took it to work and swept it, and sure enough it
steadily had more and more loss, starting about 3MHz; at 500kHz it had
about -20dB loss compared to 3MHz. Its specs claimed "good to 100kHz",
but that wasn't true. Stridsberg refused to correct it--after sending my
unit back twice for "repair", and having it returned with no change from
original, I returned it and got my money back.
If your interests are 3MHz and above, the Stridsberg active coupler will
work fine, but not below that, if you want.
(My unit consisted of an input lowpass filter, a MMIC amplifier feeding
a MiniCircuits splitter to the two outputs--if you're interested in
technical details.)
Steve

Old July 7th 03, 06:40 AM
Telamon

In article ,
Steve Ratzlaff wrote:

I had a bad experience with a Stridsberg active coupler, for 2
outputs. I bought it mainly for use below HF. It didn't work--had
excessive loss below about 3MHz. I took it to work and swept it, and
sure enough it steadily had more and more loss, starting about 3MHz;
at 500kHz it had about -20dB loss compared to 3MHz. Its specs claimed
"good to 100kHz", but that wasn't true. Stridsberg refused to correct
it--after sending my unit back twice for "repair", and having it
returned with no change from original, I returned it and got my money
back. If your interests are 3MHz and above, the Stridsberg active
coupler will work fine, but not below that, if you want. (My unit
consisted of an input lowpass filter, a MMIC amplifier feeding a
MiniCircuits splitter to the two outputs--if you're interested in
technical details.)

Sounds like they screw up on the series coupling capacitors that were
used. Maybe the capacitors were the right value except off by a decade
like 4.7uF as opposed to .47uF.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old July 7th 03, 07:22 AM
Radioman390

Anyone using an antenna multicoupler (powered or unpowered)? The powered
versions allow multiple receivers to be simultaneously connected to a single
antenna without loss.

Greatest thing since sliced bread. I use a DX-1PRO to feed a halfdozen
receivers in two rooms. The ability to pickup any frequency that got past the
antenna is the greatest attribute.
Side benefit is that you can finally do dside-by-side comparisons.
Also, some lightning protection.
I ONLY use actives with amps after the splitter to prevent interaction. (The
are not for S-38 classs radios).

Old July 7th 03, 03:09 PM
Eric F. Richards

Telamon wrote:

The passive resistive power dividers will only provide 6 dB of
isolation.

The stridsberg ones aren't resistive -- they're transformers and
provide 20dB isolation. I assume the I.C.E. ones are as well, but
don't have any firsthand experience with them.

I use a Stridsberg 2-way splitter to feed two Stridsberg 4 way
splitters, all passive. That's a fair amount of signal reduction to
each receiver, but with my antennas I'm well above the noise level. I
don't have any loops or other low-output antennas.

The Stridsbergs are just repackaged Mini-circuits transformers. You
can buy them from Mini-circuits for much lower prices, and they don't
mind qty 1 orders. The real trick is figuring out their catalog...

http://www.mini-circuits.com/

For an 8-way splitter, which is what I'd do if I could do it from
scratch, I'd use the ZCSC-8-1 on page 139 of their catalog.

For a 4-way splitter, I'd use a ZBSC-4-1... other various case styles
are available.

For a 2-way, I'use a ZSC-2-1.

If the Mini-circuits catalog intimidates you, go for the Stridsbergs.
The passive ones work well... I didn't want the active ones because I
was concerned about IMD products being generated in the preamp.

Good luck!

--
Eric F. Richards,
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- J. R. Pierce, Bell Labs, c. 1940
Old July 7th 03, 05:19 PM
Mike Maghakian

I use a Wellbrook, works great.

Old July 8th 03, 01:18 AM
AComarow

W.J. Ford, a surplus dealer in Canada, sells a new 8-port active multi for
about U.S. $150. It's well made, with some lightning protection. I have one and
have had zero problems.

Check out www.testequipmentcanada.com/M-50-8.html

Avery W3AVE
Potomac, Md.
Old July 8th 03, 02:48 AM
Brian Denley

Radioman390:
What was the problem with your S-38? Three of the receivers I am planning
to couple are an HQ-150, a R-388 and a SX-28. The other 5 are modern solid
state radios.

--
Brian Denley

Old July 8th 03, 02:50 AM
Brian Denley

Avery:
That's a great price compared to the Stridsberg. I wonder if 23 db
isolation is enough. Thanks to all for the advice!

--
Brian Denley