Old August 5th 03, 10:39 AM
Michael Holme

Default RCI blanking out ? atmospherics ??

Anybody had the RCI blank out on them. I've had a number of silences
recently, anything from 2 seconds to 15 seconds. I listen in the UK on
5850KHz at 20:00UTC for an hour and a half. Could it be atmospherics ?

Thanks,
Mike
Old August 5th 03, 04:50 PM
Warpcore

Most likely. There has been solar activity lately, and some places have had
auroras, so fading is to be expected, even from some powerful transmitters.

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/ftpdir/latest/wwv.txt

The link above provides propogation information online. So does WWV every
half hour at 18 minutes past the hour and 45 minutes past the hour.

om...

Old August 5th 03, 04:54 PM
Warpcore

http://spaceweather.com/
The link above gives access to other information about things happening in
space that are felt on earth in regards to propogation.

Old August 5th 03, 07:15 PM
Robert

"Warpcore" wrote

Warpcore? _Warpcore_? Yeah, I recognize you. Warpcore serial number
AA-127B2, overhauled at the Sirius Minor yards, weren't ya?

You warpcores, you're all alike, lordin' it over the rest of the ship.
"I eat anti-matter." "I make the ship go fast." Yadda, yadda, yadda. Hey,
did anybody ever get sick and die from radiation poisoning standing next to
a food dispenser? NO. Has anybody ever needed gene therapy when a photon
torpedo overloaded? NO. When was the last time you heard the chief engineer
say, "Captain, if we don't jettison the transporter coils in 30 seconds,
we're all gonna die!"? Huh? I'll tell ya: NEVER. Jettisoning you warpcores
is so common, though, there's a WRITTEN PROCEDURE FOR IT!!! Mismatched,
overloaded, worn out, oh-so-picky when it comes to dilithium crystals,
always on the verge of exploding and taking out 3 sectors of space, can't
even go faster than Warp 3 without polluting everything in sight...but oh,
you're _soooooo_ important to the ship. Yeah, right. I hope you suffer a
mismatched phase-inversion of your toroidal antimatter injectors AND BLOW
UP!!!

Sincerely,
Jefferies Tube A-1-W22, port nacelle strut

---

Old August 5th 03, 10:38 PM
Quentin Wright

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 02:39:18 -0700, Michael Holme wrote:

Anybody had the RCI blank out on them. I've had a number of silences
recently, anything from 2 seconds to 15 seconds. I listen in the UK on
5850KHz at 20:00UTC for an hour and a half. Could it be atmospherics ?

Thanks,
Mike

Yes, I've had the same. 6140Khz and 15455 start at 2200,
and although intended for the USA 6140 has been better
than 5850 earlier on.

Old August 6th 03, 12:39 AM
Gregg

I've been hearing the blanks on local CBC FM too.

I don't think it's 'spherics as much as a faulty connection somewhere :-\

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Old August 6th 03, 09:03 AM
Michael Holme

Gregg wrote in message t...
I've been hearing the blanks on local CBC FM too.

I don't think it's 'spherics as much as a faulty connection somewhere :-\

That's pretty much what RCI suggested when I emailled them. They're
looking in to it now.

Mike
Old August 6th 03, 10:34 AM
starman

Michael Holme wrote:

Anybody had the RCI blank out on them. I've had a number of silences
recently, anything from 2 seconds to 15 seconds. I listen in the UK on
5850KHz at 20:00UTC for an hour and a half.

Could it be atmospherics ?

Not likely. When a station drops out instantaneously, it's got to be
either the audio signal or transmitter itself. Did you notice if the
meter on your radio went to zero during the drop out? If so, it would
indicate a transmitter failure.

Old August 6th 03, 02:42 PM
Michael Holme

starman wrote in message ...
Michael Holme wrote:

Anybody had the RCI blank out on them. I've had a number of silences
recently, anything from 2 seconds to 15 seconds. I listen in the UK on
5850KHz at 20:00UTC for an hour and a half.

Could it be atmospherics ?

Not likely. When a station drops out instantaneously, it's got to be
either the audio signal or transmitter itself. Did you notice if the
meter on your radio went to zero during the drop out? If so, it would
indicate a transmitter failure.

I monitored the meter. The AGC was set to FAST and during the drop out the
meter didn't go down ?? The Radio in question was an oldish one (a 1985 JRC
NRD-92) so I double checked with my new Sony ICF-SW07. After a wait of
around 15 minutes the signal dropped out again for about 10 seconds and
what do you know, both receivers blanked out simultaneuously and came back
on together. I'm waiting for a chance to double check the experiment. The
drop out didn't happen last night, or a least not for more than a second
possibly.
What do you reckon ??

Mike
Old August 7th 03, 03:15 AM
elg110254

XPRS, 1090 khz, from San Diego, has been experiencing sporadic audio drop-outs
on its St. Louis Sporting News overnight broadcasts recently. Nuthin' similar
on KHTK 1140 khz from Sactown, though ... And yo, Roberto, due to tetryon
particle pollution in the Hekaras Corridor, UFP mandates stipulate a warp five
maximum in that sector of space Season Six' "Force of Nature")!