Old August 18th 03, 10:02 AM
Lionel Carter

The straps to discharge static were very popular in the UK a decade ago when
people wore polyester suits and Hushpuppies. Hardly ever see these straps
now.
It might also be that the composition of the tyres has changed making them
un-necessary.

It is definitely to do with cars because I've never seen one being used with
a Walkman.

Lionel Carter

"Matti Ponkamo" wrote in message
Something to do with the grounding I suppose... Cannot tell
if it worked or not. One can still see them in cars from Russia.

Matti Ponkamo, Naantali, Finland

"mary" kirjoitti
This is not a short-wave question, but I thought people here would know

the
answer. When I was a kid in the fifties, it seemed as if people who had
radios in their cars had this rubber thing hanging from the bottom of

the
car. When I asked my parents what it was for they said it helped provide
better radio reception. Somehow I remember every car having one, but

then
maybe not. Anyone remember what it was all about. Our car did not have

one
because my father would never get a car with a radio.

Thanks
Tom

Old September 2nd 03, 06:00 PM
starman

CW wrote:

The strap had nothing to do with radio reception. It was to ground out
static electricity before it zapped you in the butt when you got in.

In those days the seat upholstery was known for producing static
electricity when a passenger slid in/out of the car. This was the
purpose of the rubber grounding strap, which actually had some metal in
it. This is also why you shouldn't get back in a car while you're at a
gas station with the fill hose in the tank pipe. When you get out again
and touch the pump nozzle, static electriciy on your body (from the car
seat) can ignite the gasoline vapors.

Old September 9th 03, 07:45 AM
Igor Gros

That static electricity zapped me in my back for a few times.
Than I bought that antistatic strap and mounted it under
my car named : "YUGO AMERICA".