Old August 19th 03, 12:47 AM
Ralph Mowery

There are not very many reputable ham dealers if that is the case. Many
will sell without asking if you are a ham. There is no US requirement

that
you have a license to buy a transceiver , just to transmitt on one.

Probably, but is it a good idea to have something that is illegal to
use in most cases? Most hams are quite protective of their band
allocations and spend a lot of time tracking down illegal users.

Guess that it is a differant point of view. Mine is that if someone pays
money for a transceiver (especially a low band one so they can practice
copying the code) they will have an investment and reason to get their
license so they can operate all the bands.

Old August 19th 03, 12:50 AM
Ralph Mowery

They cannot refuse to sell you the radio merely because you have no

license.
Back when licenses took 3 months to arrive (which wasn't all that long

ago),
many people purchased their gear and set up their station while they

waited
for the license.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Even now as many take the test at hamfests and get the results back in a few
days , it is nice to buy a rig at the hamfest and get it set up so you can
use it in less than a week.

DE KU4PT

Old August 19th 03, 01:21 AM
Perry Noid

erniegalts wrote:

Wouldn't consider it "very complicated" to make a phone ring as only
need to provide around 60 volts AC at 16 cycles or so.

erniegalts

Just what percentage of us do you think could do that? and from DC
power? For about 98% of us it is "very complicated", and the one
electronics tech among us doesn't need any help.
Old August 19th 03, 03:09 AM
Gunner

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 00:21:16 GMT, (Perry Noid) wrote:

erniegalts wrote:

Wouldn't consider it "very complicated" to make a phone ring as only
need to provide around 60 volts AC at 16 cycles or so.

erniegalts

Just what percentage of us do you think could do that? and from DC
power? For about 98% of us it is "very complicated", and the one
electronics tech among us doesn't need any help.

Chuckle..I made up a private phone system when I was 13. Rang and
everything.

Then I discovered "field phones" Way much better.

Gunner

Have you noticed how these enviros have become alarmed by the
proliferation of large carnivores in the boonies? I saw one remark to
the effect that bears, for example, do not seem to know their place on
the "food chain." Why should they? Only man comes up with ideas like
a food chain, and with man the idea only makes sense because man is
armed. Without his weapons, man is by no means at the top of any food
chain. On the contrary, he is down in fourth or fifth spot, depending
upon the environment in which he lives. Primitive man was under no
illusions about this, nor are the backwoods folk in India today. To a
tiger, man is a morsel, as these unarmed joggers seem to be to a cougar,
upon occasion. Man is man because he is always armed. That is something
they do not teach in kindergarten, nor for that matter in high school. A
youth becomes a man when he is first presented with his own personal
weapon. That is his right of passage, and those who do not understand
that are questionable members of a free society.
- Jeff Cooper's Commentaries, Vol. 9, No. 7, July, 2001
Old August 19th 03, 05:02 AM
Hagbard Celine

-----------------------------
So ernie,where specifically was I wrong? Code has not been "wiped."
It's been reduced to 5 WPM for the two higher class licenses required
for operation on the HF band.

Oh for ****s sake, will you ****ing people just STFU?

Bob, I believe, if you read Ernie's original post, he said it was wiped,
and then talked about using a 2m HT. The license to operate on 2m,
Technician, had its morse code requirement 'wiped' a few years ago.

Jesus ****ing christ, the signal-to-noise ratio in here is getting
mighty ****ing low. You ****ers just aren't happy if you aren't gaining
imaginary debating points on Usenet.

Old August 19th 03, 05:05 AM
Richard G Amirault

In rec.radio.scanner KB9WFK wrote:
(snip)
: How do you define, "a couple of miles"? My Icom T2H (a 7 Watt hand
: held) can make it from my house to the repeater 18 miles away. If I
: can hit that repeater then I can talk to anyone between it and me on
: simplex, and that is with the rubber duck antenna. Using a home made
: twin-lead J-Pole antenna I talked on the repeater from downtown
: Chicago which is a 36 miles trip.
: On 2 Meters, get your antenna high and you can really reach out.
: Height is Might.
(snip)

Yes, but ... not everyone has a "high" antenna .. and many of those will
be closer to you than that "repeater 18 miles away" and yet, you *won't*
be able to talk with them. Because they won't hear you and/or you won't
hear them.

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

Old August 19th 03, 05:15 AM
Bob Brock

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 04:02:54 GMT, Hagbard Celine
wrote:

-----------------------------
So ernie,where specifically was I wrong? Code has not been "wiped."
It's been reduced to 5 WPM for the two higher class licenses required
for operation on the HF band.

Oh for ****s sake, will you ****ing people just STFU?

No.

Bob, I believe, if you read Ernie's original post, he said it was wiped,
and then talked about using a 2m HT. The license to operate on 2m,
Technician, had its morse code requirement 'wiped' a few years ago.

Closer to a decade I think.

Jesus ****ing christ, the signal-to-noise ratio in here is getting
mighty ****ing low. You ****ers just aren't happy if you aren't gaining
imaginary debating points on Usenet.

Too cheap to buy a newsreader capable of filtering/killfilling
messages? If so, STFU and quit whining.

Have a nice day ;-)
Old August 19th 03, 05:37 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Really, as I regularly get anywhere from 4-15 miles range with my HT around
here on simplex. Even further with the mobile rig on simplex at 40-45
watts, as far as 20-30 miles on average. At home, (better antenna and the
height advantage) have gotten even further with 40-50 watts! Must be
something wrong with your equipment.

Yes. Except that 2 meter and 440 MHz radios, especially small ones,
have limited range of only a few miles. They depend on repeaters to
relay their messages long distances, and the repeaters run on electric
power.

Yaesu VX-2R
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0176.html

snip

--
"I can't describe how I felt when I picked up that rifle, loaded
it into my little car and drove home. It seemed so incredibly

Old August 19th 03, 05:46 AM
WShoots1

For current limiting in a point to point telephone system, figure 1000 ohms per
volt for the resistance to put in series with the phone handsets and the
battery. The current then will be about one milliamp.

Bill, K5BY
Old August 19th 03, 06:54 PM
MJC

Here 'ya go. This is why we can't afford to let the Broadband companies
squeeze us out.

http://www.ev1.net/english/news/news...t=technolo gy

MJC

"mad amoeba" wrote in message
. net...
I was affected by the recent blackout in North East. That got me thinking

of
how would
one communicate during such an event. Electricity including phones were
out.
Cellular phones didn't work either. So the only way of receiving

informaiton
was by radio.
My old Sony wm-gx670 did quite nicely. But what if I would need to
communicate with
my relatives or even cops to let them know of an emmergency. If
telephone/cellular/internet
are not available what are my other options? Let's say people I want to
communicate with
are more than several miles away in an urban area. That makes CB radio
useless--right? So
then as far as I understand using ham radio is my only option. With that

you
can either get in
touch with your relatives directly, provided they have ham radio as well,

or
you can call
some person in an area without blackout and tell them to call
police/ambulance etc if that's
what you need.

Not knowing much myself about scanners/shortwaves/hams myself I want to

ask
you guys
with more experience if the below piece of equipment is what I need.

As far as I understand this is an handheld ham radio which also functions

as
a scanner and
can also receive on a shortwave band. So it will allow me to communicate
with people
far away even in urban setting, it is portable and it will also allow me

monitor news as
well as police/firefighters etc. Am I right?

Yaesu VX-2R
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0176.html

the price is kind of steep but for all-in-one product I would be willing

pay it.