Old August 19th 03, 03:21 PM
Paul Jensen

Default WFAN running the "Best of Imus" during a blackout?

"Myself" wrote in message
I'm surprised to hear that when WFAN managed to get back on the air...they
were running a "Best of Imus" show.

Wouldn't you think they would at least attempt to have some live

programming
on?

I initially thought that they were running a "best of" *because of the
blackout. Apparently the repeat was schedule already...and they did

little
to dump it in favor of anything live.

Thoughts?

Typical of radio today. Instead of providing useful information to their
audience, they're airing a rerun. That is a crappy effort.

Old August 19th 03, 03:22 PM
Ron Hardin

It was a `best of Imus' week; they reran the Thursday show on Friday,
evidently having grabbed the wrong one. There's nothing to cover,
so it might as well be a BOI. It would have been even better if
it hadn't been the same one they played the previous day.

Janice and Minko were doing a morning zoo starting at 5:30 until about
6:10 I guess and then dropped into BOI. I guess they found the tape.

If you want live coverage of the exciting blackout, WCBS right up the
dial will satisfy you with endless drivel on that very topic.

Not, by the way, that Imus has been that great recently; mostly the
show is stalling fishing for material, and Imus isn't thinking of any.
The fallback is calling Sid Rosenberg reprehensible, and trash talking
the upcoming fight to benefit the Ranch once again. When you hear
either of these, it means there will be no yuks for the remainder of
the show. Imus has been stumped. The neurons that used to fire fire
no more.

Bernie and Lou are getting surly. I imagine looking at job prospects.

I myself have taped almost all of Imus since 98 and probably will not
reorder another box of 120-casettes when the current one is empty.
Sorry J&R (you get a good deal there but I won't be needing them).

One of the BOI's they played at 5:50 Friday was from a 1998 show;
the difference was immediately apparent.
--
Ron Hardin

Old August 19th 03, 05:53 PM
Rich Wood

On 18 Aug 2003 14:22:18 GMT, "Myself" wrote:

I initially thought that they were running a "best of" *because of the
blackout. Apparently the repeat was schedule already...and they did little
to dump it in favor of anything live.

Next time you watch a ball game, tape the audio. Then, listen to it
without the video. Then tell me if you want sportscasters delivering
the news. It might be great for the comedy but my news ain't comin'
from someone named Mad Dog.

Maybe they couldn't find enough famous sports figures to interview.
"Why do you think the power failed, Mr. MVP? Probly cuz thu litz got
dark."

Yogi Berra is the only sports figure I'd trust to have the answer.

Rich

Old August 19th 03, 05:53 PM
Rich Wood

On 19 Aug 2003 14:21:37 GMT, "Paul Jensen" wrote:

Typical of radio today. Instead of providing useful information to their
audience, they're airing a rerun. That is a crappy effort.

We have two of the finest all news stations in the world. Why on God's
earth would I tune to a sports station in an emergency. If I have Jock
Itch, maybe, even though I've got the Gold Bond spots nearly
memorized.

WCBS was on almost immediately. WINS took a little longer. Those are
my "crisis" stations, not one that makes "Dumb and Dumber" look
brilliant. It works extremely well in good times, but not in an
emergency.

The smartest thing they could have done was to simulcast WINS or WCBS.

Rich

Old August 19th 03, 07:38 PM
Ron Hardin

Rich Wood wrote:

On 19 Aug 2003 14:21:37 GMT, "Paul Jensen" wrote:

Typical of radio today. Instead of providing useful information to their
audience, they're airing a rerun. That is a crappy effort.

We have two of the finest all news stations in the world. Why on God's
earth would I tune to a sports station in an emergency. If I have Jock
Itch, maybe, even though I've got the Gold Bond spots nearly
memorized.

WCBS was on almost immediately. WINS took a little longer. Those are
my "crisis" stations, not one that makes "Dumb and Dumber" look
brilliant. It works extremely well in good times, but not in an
emergency.

The smartest thing they could have done was to simulcast WINS or WCBS.

Rich

You'll find that WFAN 660 (Imus) had the best live coverage of 9/11 by far; it's even
on the web.

Try
http://rhhardin.home.mindspring.com/sep11a.ra (3.9mb big) 8am hour
http://rhhardin.home.mindspring.com/sep11b.ra (3.9mb big) 9am hour
http://rhhardin.home.mindspring.com/sep12.ra (3.9mb big) 5am hour next morning

The 9 hour above is covered poorly as internet various feeds failed.

Imus replayed it all (more than captured above) on Sep 11 _2002_ and that's at
http://rhhardin5.home.mindspring.com/imuscut.sep1102.ra (4.1mb big)

The reason it's the best is that he's not trying to get something for it; he
and McCord are the finest news people ever.

The ``we-are-bringing-you-your-news'' tone of every news guy is insufferable.
Compare it to Imus.
--
Ron Hardin