Old August 30th 03, 03:16 AM
Diverd4777

Default (OT ) What is useful if you have to walk home

All:

Not to be an alarmist, but this stuff might be useful to have around
where you work, "just in case"

Good walking shoes
2 pairs of socks (wear both)
Small radio w/earbuds ( Jwin JX -M14 , B&H 7 band, etc)
Small Flashlight ( no power, & Maybe Totally dark; remember..?? )
1 quart water
Your medicine
Sports bars / compact food
Cheap Plastic raincoat (for rain / cold)
Hat
Small Roll of Duct tape ( good for Hot spots, Pre-Blisters, cuts, scrapes)
Quarters ( cell phones don't work )
Shoulder bag / small backpack

Useful to know people within 12 miles of where you work...

Hoping no one ever has to walk home again..
( & , aside from all this, have a nice weekend )

Dan ( NYC / USA)

Old August 30th 03, 11:40 PM
tommyknocker

sum1 wrote:

(Diverd4777) wrote in message

Hoping no one ever has to walk home again..

Interesting you should say that. In this week's news:

-----------

Sprawling suburbs that make it harder for people to get around without
a car may help fuel obesity: Americans who live in the most sprawling
counties tend to weigh 6 more pounds than their counterparts in the
most compact areas.

I live out in the country (well semi-country) and walking is not an
option because the roads are narrow and the drivers crazy. I have to
drive 15 miles one way to go to a health club to walk on a treadmill.
(I'm on the Atkins diet. My grandfather lost his legs to diabetes and is
losing his hands, and I don't want to go there.)

Adding to the sprawl concern: Pedestrians and bicyclists are much more
likely to be killed by passing cars here than in parts of Europe where
cities are engineered to encourage physical activity — and whose
residents typically are skinnier and live longer than the average
American.

Yep, even downtown drivers will swerve dramatically to avoid a bicyclist
in the bike lane.

Those are conclusions of major new studies being published Thursday
that call on urban planners and zoning commissions to consider public
health in designing neighborhoods.

Too late. Most of America is built around cars, making us vulnerable to
an Islamist revolution in Saudi Arabia where all our oil comes from.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...althy_sprawl_2

Old August 30th 03, 11:43 PM
tommyknocker

RedOctober90 wrote:

(sum1) wrote in message
. com...
[...]

The real reason that almost half the population of overweight, is
simply because they fail to eat the right foods and get a good amount
of exercise. I know plenty of people in my suburban area who drive 1hr
30min to work or more. But these people eat a HEALTHY diet and get a
decent amount of exercise.

They keep trying to blame the obesity problem on things like this
rather than the lack of proper diet and excercise. Most health
problems would be eliminated quickly if diet was improved.

It is part of it. But people eat too much refined carbohydrate and
sugar-12 times or so what they ate 100 years ago.

Old August 31st 03, 05:52 AM
sum1

(RedOctober90) wrote in message . com...
(sum1) wrote in message . com...
[...]

I think the lack of exercise was the point of the study cited above.
Old August 31st 03, 08:48 PM
tommyknocker

Beloved Leader wrote:

tommyknocker wrote in message

I have to
drive 15 miles one way to go to a health club to walk on a treadmill.

?

OK, let's try this: I am a member of a health club, you know a fitness
center like 24 Hour Fitness. I use the treadmills in the center. The
center is 15 miles from my house. Got it?

Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin #668 Tedd Mirgliotta Dx 0 July 11th 04 07:57 PM
Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin #668 Tedd Mirgliotta General 0 July 11th 04 07:57 PM
Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin #668 Tedd Mirgliotta Info 0 July 11th 04 07:57 PM
New Home Brew Store GTS Homebrew 20 November 23rd 03 10:29 AM
New Home Brew Store GTS Homebrew 0 November 13th 03 12:14 AM