Old September 10th 03, 07:22 AM
Pete KE9OA

Hi Randy,
At the Madison, Wisconsin gathering a couple of years ago,
one of the folks brought along his CCRadio. I brought a couple of mine
along, and we just let the CCRadio sit along, looking happy. While the
CCRadio is a good receiver, this new unit of mine will be ten steps above
that in performance. The units that I have built so far have been pretty
comparable in performance to my Racal 6790/GM. Another
analogy..................picture a Collins 75A-4, and picture it with an
antenna with performance better than a Palomar loopstick antenna, but not
quite as good as the large Kiwa antenna, and..............you get the drift.
Even with a 6kHz Murata ceramic filter, the skirt selectivity is steep
enough that you can separate the sideband components from the carrier of an
AM signal. I think that you would be very pleased with the product. It's
going to be a winner.

Pete

Randy Padawer wrote in message
om...
Pete, I have no doubt that you can do it, but it strikes me that your
radio will need to be darned good to beat CCrane's "CCRadio Plus."
Maybe others will disagree, so I'm ready for the education I deserve
if that's the case. However, as it stands now, I'm pretty impressed
with that commercially available receiver.

Randy (WA4FJF)

Old September 10th 03, 08:06 AM
starman

Ron Hardin wrote:

Must have synch detection and selectable sideband. No serious MW
program listening is possible without it - the adjacent channel
shares spectrum with one sideband of the channel you're tuned to.

I agree. Sync' detection is the one feature missing from all current AM
(MW) receivers for the masses. I would prefer it to be a portable. I
guess the sync' feature would mean a price of at least $100. I wonder if
the Sony sync' (AM-stereo) chip would be available for your project, now
that the '2010' is out of production? Otherwise you would have to use
general purpose IC's for the sync' circuit. That's what Drake did. Good
luck with it.

Old September 10th 03, 08:52 AM
RHF

HK,

Sounds like you what a Radio built in a computer mini-tower case that
accepts various modules to create your own radio.

I like the basic low price Idea with the add-on features later as you
go. A basic $150 radio could turn into $600 to $750 worth of extra
sales as the radio is added on to to reach the owners personal needs.

Basic AM/FM/SW Radio $150
Including: Digital Frequency Display, RDS & Clock Timer Module
+ Extra IF Dual Band Pass Filter Module $150
+ + AM-SYNC & SSB Module $150
+ + + DRM Decoder Module $150
+ + + + FM DX & Stereo Module $150
+ + + + + Loop Active Antenna Module $150
+ + + + + + CD/DVD Recorder Module $150

Hey In a Years time, I could buy and build a $1000 Radio.

~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Henry Kolesnik"
= = = wrote in message ...
Pete
For layout of the knobs and controls take a look at the old Bearcat DX-1000
and refine that ergonomically. A front panel engineered properly wouldn't
require a manual on how to operate it. If you can make it portable so much
the better but include a bnc for a 50 ohm antenna. If its portable make it
so it can be installed in some kind of enclosure that makes it a desktop
unit. While your designing why not make the desk top with plug in modules
that can be upgraded with options and shrink that design to one board for a
somewhat less feature rich portable. I'll bet there's a market if you can
make the price right. Options would include ocxo, vlf, filters, synch det,
uhf conv, scannning, more memories, 10 Hz readout, then 1 hz
readout...spectrum scope, timer, etc. A person should be able to afford the
stripped down unit and listen and then as budget permits add the desired
modules. Repairs would be module swaps.
Best of luck in doing it.
73
hank wd5jfr
"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
My employer has given me the go ahead to design a new product. If there is
enough interest, I will design a new MW receiver for the market. What

would
you be more interested in......................a small table top type, or

portable?
Performance wise, I am talking about something like that of an AOR7030.
I don't think that I would be inplementing Sync Detection, but a couple of
I.F. bandwidths could be possible. Definitely, double conversion, and
digital readout, with good audio quality.
Would you want any presets? How about target price? Do you want a built

in
antenna, or external antenna only? High and low impedance antenna inputs?
How about a built in tunable preselector?
E-mail me directly, and we will see what happens. Any of you who have

built
any of me receivers know what I am talking about...............I plan to
take the design to the next couple of steps up in performance.

Pete

Old September 10th 03, 11:25 AM
donut

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in
:

E-mail me directly, and we will see what happens. Any of you who have
built any of me receivers know what I am talking about...............I
plan to take the design to the next couple of steps up in performance.

You will never go above the 1950s 6 tube superhet in performance. Forget
it.
Old September 10th 03, 12:54 PM
--exray--

RHF wrote:
HK,

Sounds like you what a Radio built in a computer mini-tower case that
accepts various modules to create your own radio.

I like the basic low price Idea with the add-on features later as you
go. A basic $150 radio could turn into $600 to $750 worth of extra
sales as the radio is added on to to reach the owners personal needs.

Basic AM/FM/SW Radio $150
Including: Digital Frequency Display, RDS & Clock Timer Module
+ Extra IF Dual Band Pass Filter Module $150
+ + AM-SYNC & SSB Module $150
+ + + DRM Decoder Module $150
+ + + + FM DX & Stereo Module $150
+ + + + + Loop Active Antenna Module $150
+ + + + + + CD/DVD Recorder Module $150

Hey In a Years time, I could buy and build a $1000 Radio.

~ RHF

Pete and RHF, I'm sure you're probably familiar with the Elecraft K2 ham
rig. They've created one of the better ham rigs on the market, even
though its a kit, using this building block concept. I guess more
importantly, they've stayed busy with updates and kept their thumb
firmly attached to the pulse of the users. Customer Support is as
important and demanding as any of the physical features.
Oh, as for ergonomic features, Puleez put the headphone jack on the
front of the radio!

GL,
Bill

Old September 10th 03, 02:17 PM
MJC

To answer your first question about size and portability, take a look at
the CCRadioPlus. It is a perfect mixture of size, portability, reception and
sound quality. It works off both AC and battery, and it's battery life is
exceptional off of C cells. It's sound is as good as any table top radio (or
better).
As for all the rest, I think everyone else here has already listed all
the desired technical features and if you manage to incorporate them all
into the package as I described (like the CCRadioPlus), you'll have a
winner.
The only concern then is if you will be able to offer it at anything
reasonable in cost. We all know you can't set something for nothing so, as
the designer, you're the one who'll have to figure out the best compromise
of cost and features that will sell well on the open market.

MJC

Old September 10th 03, 03:13 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"Gregg" wrote:

| IF BW of 2.5KHz 6KHz and 10KHz per side band for itelligibillity through
| audio quality.

I dunno about the 10 kc, Gregg. I'd go for
something really tight, at NRSC BW. Anything
wider than that, you're just asking for noise.

73,

Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, MN

---

Old September 10th 03, 03:27 PM
Kent

Willing to sell one of the "Current": units??

Also, you say you are in Chicago. What side of town? I get to Chicago on a
weekly basis.

Kent Winrich, K9EZ
Menomonee Falls, WI

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
news
I was thinking about using 1kHz tuning; this way, the radio would be more
universal. No need to worry about 9 or 10kHz steps if this is done. With
my current units, you can connect an untuned 6 foot loop directly to the

the
50 Ohm antenna input, and the results are pretty dramatic. From my

location
in the Chicago area, I can receive WLW, on 700kHz, with an S8 signal

level.
WJR, on 760kHz, comes in at about an S7, while on 610kHz, I can receive
Kansas City Missouri, and the Ohil station fighting each other, at an S7
signal level. If I want to listen to MW, I don't even bother using my
AOR7030, Palstar R30, Icom R75, or Yaesu
FRG100...........................none of them is as hot.
Radioman390 wrote in message
I would prefer a table radio like a Tivoli or old KLH21

Ceratinly some DRM capability, or a place to add a plug-in card which

could be
either DRM, C-QUAM stereo, or the digital AM (IBOC or Kahn?).

Depending on how the digital standard goes, at least the RF could be

constant.

10/9 khz tuning (US vs Euro)

Noise blanker

Before I implement a noise blanker, I want to develop a NB design that I
have been slowly working on..............this would be a Quadrature type.
The advantage to this type is that it would have dynamically variable
blanking width, with a null of right around 50dB. Still working on that

one

An input for a loop antenna

An input with DC phantom power for an outdoor active antenna

Maybe an antenna switch to switch between lop and other antenna, or two

loops.

Good tone controls

Perhaps something like the old Scott DYNAURAL circuit which shaped the

flatness
of the audio depending on signal strength, or something like Worcester's

AM
circuit which made the IF passband narrower as the signal strength

decreased.

Good speaker!

Amen!

Pete

Old September 10th 03, 05:08 PM
Pete KE9OA

That sounds good, Randy. I will be going over a few more of the details
today. I do like that modularized approach. If I use a TDA1572 as the 2nd
I.F. subsystem, it is easy to have an I.F. output jack, as well as the
ability to add a Sync detector further on down the line.