Old September 10th 03, 05:10 PM
Pete KE9OA

That's the amazing thing about this design; it does have that tube like
sound. As far as performance, we are talking about 18 tube performance, not
6 or 7 tube performance. I do understand your doubts, but I think that you
will be pleasantly surprised.

Pete

donut wrote in message
"Pete KE9OA" wrote in
:

E-mail me directly, and we will see what happens. Any of you who have
built any of me receivers know what I am talking about...............I
plan to take the design to the next couple of steps up in performance.

You will never go above the 1950s 6 tube superhet in performance. Forget
it.

Old September 10th 03, 05:11 PM
Pete KE9OA

Looking and listening to all of your replies, it looks as if I will need to
design a small (but not too light) tabletop model AND a portable model.
Thanks for the good input!

Pete

MJC wrote in message
To answer your first question about size and portability, take a look

at
the CCRadioPlus. It is a perfect mixture of size, portability, reception

and
sound quality. It works off both AC and battery, and it's battery life is
exceptional off of C cells. It's sound is as good as any table top radio

(or
better).
As for all the rest, I think everyone else here has already listed all
the desired technical features and if you manage to incorporate them all
into the package as I described (like the CCRadioPlus), you'll have a
winner.
The only concern then is if you will be able to offer it at anything
reasonable in cost. We all know you can't set something for nothing so, as
the designer, you're the one who'll have to figure out the best compromise
of cost and features that will sell well on the open market.

MJC

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
My employer has given me the go ahead to design a new product. If there

is
enough interest, I will design a new MW receiver for the market. What

would
you be more interested in......................a small table top type,

or
portable?
Performance wise, I am talking about something like that of an AOR7030.
I don't think that I would be inplementing Sync Detection, but a couple

of
I.F. bandwidths could be possible. Definitely, double conversion, and
digital readout, with good audio quality.
Would you want any presets? How about target price? Do you want a

built
in
antenna, or external antenna only? High and low impedance antenna

inputs?
How about a built in tunable preselector?

Old September 10th 03, 05:25 PM
Gary

I'm getting excited about this new MW receiver. I have the CCRadio
and believe it's reception is only fair, with poor selectivity
compared to my Grundig Satellit 800. Even my Grundig S350 is better
than the CCRadio.

My biggest problem with MW is interference from hologen lamps,
dimmers, etc. I don't know if there is any NB that will eliminate
this type of interference.

What I would like to see is:
A portable with a large enough quality speaker to get a decent bass
response, separate tone controls (or even better, a graphic equalizer
tailored to reduce certains frequencies associated with different
types of interference), at LEAST two GOOD bandwidths, a superior
built-in directional antenna, and of course a selectable sideband
option would certainly be nice.

If your set is a real step up from what I currently have, I will
definitely be a buyer!
Old September 10th 03, 05:51 PM
Gray Shockley

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:25:58 -0500, Gary wrote
(in message ) :

I'm getting excited about this new MW receiver. I have the CCRadio
and believe it's reception is only fair, with poor selectivity
compared to my Grundig Satellit 800. Even my Grundig S350 is better
than the CCRadio.

My biggest problem with MW is interference from hologen lamps,

Generally, there is no interference from halogen lamps themselves, I have two
in my radio room and there is no interfernce whatsoever from them.

However (and you knew this was coming, right? grin) these have off-lo-hi
switches. I have one in the living room which has a dimmer switch and it
tears up anything that gets close. Some of this latter design will even
interfere when they're turned off.

dimmers, etc. I don't know if there is any NB that will eliminate
this type of interference.

What I would like to see is:
A portable with a large enough quality speaker to get a decent bass
response, separate tone controls (or even better, a graphic equalizer

Over the years, I've used from one tone control to nine and the simplest that
worked well was three controls, the standard trebel and bass and a "midrange"
that covered (typically) from 300 to 3000cps/Hertz.

Old September 10th 03, 06:34 PM
RHF

SMHL,

IIRC: DRM requires 12kHz or 15kHz.
So the first two are A-OK at 2.5kHz and 6kHz; but a third at 12/15kHz
would made the radio's IF Section up-grade-able to DRM is desired.

jm2cw ~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Stephen M.H. Lawrence"
= = = wrote in message link.net...
"Gregg" wrote:

| IF BW of 2.5KHz 6KHz and 10KHz per side band for itelligibillity through
| audio quality.

I dunno about the 10 kc, Gregg. I'd go for
something really tight, at NRSC BW. Anything
wider than that, you're just asking for noise.

73,

Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, MN

---

Old September 10th 03, 07:18 PM
RHF

MJC,

You ar right the CCRadio (Grundig S350?) are nice size radios.
- - - The Sangean ATS-909 and Grundig YB-400 are simply to small.

Pete,

If a Portable Radio, I would prefer something the Size and layout of
an Panasonic RF-2200 and nothing smaller than a Sony ICF-2010.

If a Desk Top Radio, then I would prefer something the Size and layout
of a JRC NRD-515 (Drake SW2?).

TBL: Basically, a Radio that's Size and layout is "Human Engineered"
for Big Old Fingers and Tired Old Eyes.

~ RHF
..
..
= = = "MJC"

Old September 10th 03, 07:37 PM
RHF

Pete,

Start with a simple Product "Indevelopment" internet website to
provide information and a potential client list: beyond the first
page the webee has to 'sign-up' to view the rest of the website and
you offer an eMail Up-Dates Subscription List. These things can help
in creating the before market BUZZ !

Then when the product is ready to ship, transform the internet website
into a Product "For Sale" Market Basket OnLine Ordering System for
Direct Marketing and Sales.

Simply with "Word of Mouth" and a Internet "Tell A Friend" based
program a large maket can be tapped at a low cost.

st3a ~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Pete KE9OA"
= = = wrote in message ...
I want to thank all of you for your input.................I will be copying
all of these replies into a Word document, and presenting them to my
employer tomorrow morning. Hopefully, we can make this thing really fly. I
am really excited about some of the refinements that some of the folks at
work have brought up. We had a design meeting that lasted almost 2 hours
this evening, so I think that things look good. Oh, one more
thing......................I believe that we will be selling directly to the
public initially, instead of going to distributers. Once we get this
product to market, I will be there to provide technical support, answer any
questions, etc. Thanks again, folks! You are a great bunch!

Old September 10th 03, 07:43 PM
Frank Dresser

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
That's the amazing thing about this design; it does have that tube like
sound. As far as performance, we are talking about 18 tube performance,

not
6 or 7 tube performance. I do understand your doubts, but I think that

you
will be pleasantly surprised.

Pete

18 tube performance? Now you've got my attention. Will it weigh at least
60 lbs? Will it have more knobs and controls than a Wurlitzer theater
organ? Will the wrinkle paint be tight and even? When I ask what it costs,
will you say "Dollar a pound, maybe less, just don't start whining about a
strained back."?

Frank Dresser

Old September 10th 03, 07:59 PM
Matt

I think the idea of a high performance MW radio is a great idea!
There is definately a good market for it. The main competitor I would
imagine would be the CC Radio, so your end price would have to be
comparative to that. I am a MW DXer, so I hope I can give you some
helpful advice and encouragement. No matter how the radio takes
shape, it probably goes without saying that it should be able to be
powered by both AC and DC. If you can only pick one, go with DC.

First, I offer three suggestions if you must keep it cheap.

1. Analog tuning. However please keep the dial accurate and as even
and as spread as possible, with a marking for each kHz. This will
enable the listener to know if he is tuned to 832 kHz or 837 kHz for
example. The needle which shows the listener where he is tuned should
be narrow yet brightly colored. Many current radios suffer from
squashing the high end frequencies together... this should be avoided.
In fact, I'm sure many MW DXers would agree with me that although they
might prefer digital tuning, if you could produce a radio with a very
accurate and evenly spread analog dial, they would gladly accept the
trade-off. No matter what you do, please keep the noise floor as low
as humanly possible in this radio (another reason to go analog).

2. Make sure the radio's own antenna can swivel independently from
the radio itself. Some old radios have this helpful feature. It
allows you to keep the radio pointed right at you so you can read the
dial, and just swivel the antenna. Make the antenna as big and as
sensitive as possible, whether it be a loop or a stick. Also, please
allow for the ability to switch off this antenna so that an external
antenna could be added by the listener. Would it be possible to
incorporate some sort of phasing relationship between the external
antenna and the radio's antenna without adding much cost? If so, that
could be a third switch position on the radio's antenna controls.

3. Use high quality filters with 3 different positions... wide,
narrow, and super narrow. If only two are feasible, I would strongly
recommend narrow and super narrow.... not many listen to music for
enjoyment on MW radio these days, and since this radio is designed
mainly for distance listening I'm sure a wide position wouldn't be
missed.

If you can add a few more expensive features, I'll rank them in
importance.

1. Sync detector. The sync detector on my Sony 2010 really helps me
dig out stations that my other non-sync radios cannot. How much per
unit would a sync detector cost?

2. If this radio does take a digital form, a dozen presets would be
nice. If at all possible, it would be great to have a memory scan
feature where these 12 stations could be scanned repeatedly, with the
radio pausing 10 seconds on each frequency before moving on to the
next. The listener could program in 12 MW stations they use as
benchmarks for DX conditions, and then let the radio scan through them
automatically.

That's it for me... I really think this is a great project and wish
you all the luck in the world. I would be glad to publiicize too on
the various MW groups and lists on the net as well once it is
produced.
Old September 10th 03, 10:47 PM
Gregg

Behold, Stephen M.H. Lawrence signaled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

"Gregg" wrote:

| IF BW of 2.5KHz 6KHz and 10KHz per side band for itelligibillity
through | audio quality.

I dunno about the 10 kc, Gregg. I'd go for something really tight, at
NRSC BW. Anything wider than that, you're just asking for noise.

Besides the DRM noisemakers, there's still a few stations smart enough to
use Khan ;-)

--
Gregg
*Perhaps it's useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*