Old September 22nd 03, 11:20 PM
Mitchell Regenbogen

Default ICF-2001D without USB/LSB buttons?

I just agreed to buy an ICF-2001D on ebay. I was under the impression,
from reading around the net that the 2001D is the same as the 2010. But I
noticed after the auction was over that the unit is missing the Air band
as well as the USB/LSB buttons next to the Wide/Narrow/Sync buttons. What
the hell did I buy???

Thanks for any info.
Old September 22nd 03, 11:29 PM
J Rob

What the hell did I buy?

My 2001 (no D) doesn't have the features that you mention. It's a hunk of radio
but not worth over $50.00.

Rob Mills ~ Tulsa
PS, Any one want to buy it?

Old September 22nd 03, 11:58 PM
Mitchell Regenbogen

Thanks. I've certainly seen many models without the Air band, and that
doesn't bother me much, but none without the USB/LSB buttons, so I
didn't really look for that when bidding on the auction. My fault, I
guess.

(John Crabtree) wrote in
:

Mitchell Regenbogen
on 9/22/03 wrote:

I just agreed to buy an ICF-2001D on ebay. I was under the
impression, from reading around the net that the 2001D is the
same as the 2010. But I noticed after the auction was over
that the unit is missing the Air band as well as the USB/LSB
buttons next to the Wide/Narrow/Sync buttons. What
the hell did I buy???

Thanks for any info.

There are at least 6 versions of the ICF-2001D/2010 with different
frequency coverages and inclusion/exclusion of SSB. Clearly you have
bought a version without certain features, quite possibly one designed
for use in part of the Middle East.

Versions of the radio with Airband coverage have a small additional
PCB, which makes the addition of this capability almost impossible.
If you find that you do not have the full LW/SW/FM frequency coverage
then this can be restored by removing or adding (I am not sure which)
solder bridges on one of the printed circuit boards.

If you are brave, then it might be possible to modify the case and two
buttons for USB and LSB. You need to start by getting a service
manual. I recall reading somewhere that somebody had done this but I
cannot find the details. You would need to do a lot of investigating
first.

Finally I suggest joining the icf2010 group at Yahoo groups, and
looking through the archives

73 John KC0GGH

Old September 23rd 03, 12:10 AM
J Rob

The 2001 has no relation to the 2001D.

No one said it did.
Old September 23rd 03, 03:08 AM
RHF

MR,

If you are talking about eBay Auction Item # 3046839892
- - - YES it is a Sony ICF-2001D but not a fully functioning Sony ICF-2010.
- - - NO Air Band
- - - NO USB & LSB Buttoms

Also, this Sony ICF-2001D is not a fully functioning Sony ICF-2010.

A. Here are some pictures of the Sony ICF-2010
- - - Made for the North American Market - Circa 1985-2003
http://www.dxing.com/rx/icf2003.htm
http://www.n0qds.org/radios/640/Sony2010.JPG
http://www.dxing.com/rx/sy2010.jpg
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...table/0841.jpg

B. Here are some pictures of the Sony ICF-2001D
- - - Made for the "Rest of the World" - Circa 1985-2003
http://www.rigpix.com/sony/sony_icf2001d.htm
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/icf2001d.html
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/icf2001d.jpg

C. Here are some pictures of the 'original' Sony ICF-2001
- - - An Older Sony Radio - Circa 1980-1983
http://www.rigpix.com/sony/sony_icf2001.htm
http://www.dxing.com/rx/icf2001.htm

TBL: When it comes to the Sony ICF-2010
- All Sony ICF-2010 are Created Equal for the North American Market.
- - All Sony ICF-2001Ds are Not Equal to the Sony ICF-2010.
- - - It pays to check-out the details and know the difference.

OBTW: Here is a Link to the Sony ICF-2010 eGroup on YAHOO!

~ RHF
..
..
= = = Mitchell Regenbogen

Old September 23rd 03, 04:05 AM
J Rob

it's pretty obvious the poster thinks they're related
and quite often 2001's are passed off as something like 2010's, which is what I
thought may have happened to you.