Old September 23rd 03, 02:29 AM

Default Last minute tests...

These aren't DX tests in the usual sense of the word, but I thought
they might interest some...I just got notice of the last one a few
moments ago! Sorry for the short notice!

---
Kxel 1540 am in waterloo Iowa is testing for distance..
evening shows include religious shows from 9pm to 12pm central time
12pm to 5am is the midnight trucking radio network a talk show for
truckers
Please let me know when and where you are when you hear it..

Kxel Broadcasting
514 Jefferson Street
Waterloo Iowa
50701

Thank you
Mark Schumacher

---
---
This one is from Neil Newman of WTTM:

Last Min testing...

Very short Notice
I never know when I will get another chance
Tonight will Be at the site doing some testing of new remote gear.
I plan on sending some CW ID's and Playing CHR/Oldies...
keep an Ear open From WTTM 1680am stereo. Testing will Be between12-2
am
---

Lynn.

Old September 23rd 03, 08:00 PM
J Plimmer

Whilst on a DXpedition on the Atlantic West coast, near the port of
Saldanha, I logged the following:
1540 khz, 0120 utc, 030922 date, EE Catholic religious program running by a
female, perhaps a nun. Talk interspersed with Catholic hymns.
At 0130 utc a male announcer says what sounded like: "This is radio Bahama"
or something like that.
That is a distance of 13,975 kilometers/8,680 miles from the QTH.
Unfortunately no ID for "KXEL", but I did spot it as a likely as it was
local sunset in Waterloo, Iowa, and I might have got a big greyline boost.
What do you think?
Can you verify this reception as KXEL?

John Plimmer
Montagu, Western Cape Province, Republic of South Africa
GPS South 33 47 East 20 07
Ant RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Kiwa MW Loop, Datong AD-370.
RX Drake R8B, Drake SW8
Eddystone 940, Hallicrafters SX-100
GE SRIII, 7600D, Sangean 818 & 803A,
Braun T1000, BW XCR-30