Old October 1st 03, 04:48 AM
Tom Nelson

Dennis Ferguson wrote:

Frank Dresser wrote:

"Dennis Ferguson" wrote in message

Note that this is not a unique attribute, it is about the same situation
as that which exists for broadband Internet service via cable modems. I
assume that BPL would use the same protection techniques (mostly
depending on control of the receiving equipment, I think). This seems
to mostly work, I very seldom hear complaints about the security of
people's cable connections.

Yeah, I'm almost totally ignorant on this one. I sorta assumed the cable
companies set aside some bandwidth for internet access, and trapped it out
for non-internet cable subscribers.

No, there's no traps for non-Internet cable subscribers. This is why
you can sometimes go to Best Buy, buy a cable modem, plug it in and
then call the cable company to program it on. Everything to everyone
in your neighbourhood is sent through one or more (unused for TV)
television channels, the cable modem gets it all, picks out those packets
which are addressed to you and discards the rest.

This is `secure' only because the configuration and operation of the
modems is controlled entirely by the operator on the RF side of the modem.
There is a standard called DOCSIS which the modems must conform to which
standardizes the configuration interface and is intended to minimize the
possibility that the user can fiddle with any of it. This seems to work
well enough (and maybe the idea of watching your neighbours' Internet
traffic is boring enough?) that I haven't heard of people hacking the modems
the way they do digital cable and DBS receivers, though who knows?

In any case, I think whatever permits cable operators to sell their
service will work equally well for BPL since the situations are
exceedingly similar.

Dennis Ferguson

Sending data over power lines at RF frequencies is a bad idea unless
power companies want to retrofit their lines with grounded shielding.
If the situations are so similar, let's send our power through the tv
cable!

Tom

Old October 1st 03, 05:21 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Try telling that to Charter Communications. Locally we have had some areas
where, if I remember correctly, RFI from their system on 145.250. They
basically said something to the effect of "It's not our problem, we have
other problems to deal with at this time."

Consumers Energy, the electrical supplier in this part of Michigan is also
in clear need of doing something with thier power lines, and other
equipment. In some areas, it is so bad that even VHF/UHF operation is
drastically affected. These two problems plus BPL would almost make
operation not worth the effort around here!!!!!!

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

Cable connections are shielded. If signals "leak out," the cable company
is required to fix it.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old October 1st 03, 05:24 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Hell, people are already "war chalking" in similar form with wireless
networking. I have even seen a device being sold in the last Sunday
newpaper, from one of the major retailers, a device for detecting wireless
network access points, and it was only in the $20-30 price range. Almost
like it is encouraging the practice.

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

Beside the obvious privacy issue, I've been wondering if BPL will be

another
security burden on the whole internet. It looks like it might be a code
cracker's playground, what with the network going all around, to the

every
outlet in an area, to both subscribers and non subscribers. Could the
truely malicious do their damage from a non-subscribing home? I don't

know,
I don't really know anything about networking.

Frank Dresser

This is something to consider. It might very well be possible if someone

is
clever enough. And sooner or later someone will be.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Interesting question JAMES HAMPTON CB 3 December 7th 04 09:34 AM
transmitter question - its a dousy duckman Homebrew 0 December 8th 03 11:51 PM
BPL Video On-Line JJ Policy 31 August 17th 03 09:12 PM
Question regarding police tactics and scanners noobie Scanner 0 July 29th 03 12:48 AM