Old October 6th 03, 04:59 AM
Michael

Default medium wave DX'ing for Art Bell :-)

Hiya... After a previous post I made trying to figure out whas I was
hearing on 1110 AM, I got a responce telling me that that it was WBT in
Charlotte, SC. It was alos pointed out in the responces, that WBT also
broadcasts ART BELL live from 1am to5am EST.

I took a look on the "Coast to Coast" web page to check out all the other
stations that broadcast it. I made a list of EVERY 50KW AM station in the
U.S. east of the Mississippi that they listed and I tried them all. Here
are
the results from here in NJ.

DONE at 2:30 UTC

WTIC 1080 in Hartford, CT : Audible and clear above the noise, but fades
out at times. S5 on the meter with no preamp. Must use LSB and not AM. NB
function is needed.

WGY 810 in Albany, NY : Audible and clear above the noise but fades out
completely at times. Best on LSB, but can be listened to in AM unless fading
out.. S6 on the meter with no preamp. NB function needed.

WPHT 1210 in Philadelphia, PA: Audible, but fading in and out regularly.
Spooks from local stations are audible here. S3 to S4 on the meter with no
preamp. Must use LSB.

WBT 1110 in Charlotte, NC: Audible and strong. Minimal fading. S7 to S8
on the meter with no preamp. Can use AM quite well at times. SSB and ECSS
not needed most of the time.

WTAM 1100 in Cleveland, OH: Perfectly audible, strong and clear. No
Fading. AM works fine, ECSS not needed. S-9 on the meter with no preamp.
They are playing the football game; Steelers vs Browns.

WRKO 680 Boston, MA: in USB with the NB on I can hear something resembling
talk, but I don't know for sure what I'm hearing. In short, it cant hear it.

KSTP 1500 in St. Paul, MN: It's lost completely. All I can hear is a
station that ID'ed as, I think WCOP. They are talking about DC area news
and mentioned the "BELTWAY" a few times. Must be in VA or MD. Definitely
no chance for me to be able to get KSTP.

WHAS 840 Louisville, KY: News Radio. Talking about "Arnold's" political
woes. At times, can be heard well, but only in LSB or USB with NB function.
It also fades out from time to time. I also hear another station under it.
The station is playing what sounds to be Italian opera music but I have not
been able to figure out what station it is.

WLAC 1510 in Nashville TN: Can't hear it. It's completely stepped on by
1510 "THE ZONE" in Boston. Currently giving NFL scores.

WFLF 540 in Orlando FL: I'm not sure if I'm hearing it or not. I'm hearing
a news sports brief on one station that sounds very weak. Down this low, it
may even be a spook from a strong local station. Under that signal, I can
hear a country music song being played by another station. I havent heard
any station ID's. It's messy on this part of the dial.

And that's it. All the 50KW stations in the US east of the Mississippi that
broadcast Art Bell as heard from North East NJ.

--
Respectfully,

Michael

Home Page: http://md_dxing.tripod.com/
Northern NJ
R75 w/DSP, Kiwa agc/sync & audio mods
G5RV & 200ft longwire w/ICE-180
MFJ-1048 preselector
SoundBlstr Live PC card w/five piece Cambridge
speakers & full software mixer/eq.

Old October 6th 03, 07:35 AM
Jeff Y.

Hi!

You should be able to hear WRVA Richmond, VA. I was talking with a
buddy of mine on the phone last night and he tuned in WRVA from PA and
it nearly pegged the meter.

Jeff Y.

Old October 6th 03, 03:29 PM
Michael

Wouldent you know it. That's the only 50KW station that I left out. I had
made a note to check that one out, but I wound up leaving it out. I'll give
a listen to WRVA tonight and post the results here.

Thanx for pointing that one out.

Old October 7th 03, 02:36 AM
Michael

Hiya... I just gave a try to hear WRVA in Richmond, VA

It's 1:10 UTC and found that WRVA is getting splashed completely by a local
50KW station. That station being WBBR on 1130. It splashes it completely.

LSB is just a jumble of noise, but when I switch to USB, I am still hearing
a lot of intermod from 1130, WBBR, but I can also hear a talk show, "Savage
Nation". I checked WRVA's web site to confirm this. So, I can hear WRVA,
but only in USB and even then, it's nearly smothered in intermod.

Old October 11th 03, 09:39 PM
MrTimNebo

i always wonder how good people in other places can hear our 740 KTRH power
house from here in houston. its 50 kw's and broadcasting bell too. any reports
from around the country?

Old October 11th 03, 10:57 PM
Michael

I have never been able to hear KTRH here. Although 50kw is strong enough to
make it all the way here to NJ, there are other stations between NJ and TX
that almost always get in the way. Currently, on 740 I'm hearing a
talk/news station in an Oriental language. It's not a local station or a
distant 50kw powerhouse, but it's too strong a signal to allow me to hear
KTRH.

I can hear a lot of the 50kw MW stations in the US including, at rare times
on a
clear night, 580 KMJ in Fresno CA. The difference between me being able to
hear KMJ at times and not KTRH is a simple matter of what other stations get
in the way.

Can you hear any of the NYC 50kw stations in TX ??? I've often wonered how
they are heard across the country. Once again, the key is what stations get
in the way and is station that your listening for currently directional or
not. I'm sure there is clear enough air between the NYC metro area and TX
on parts of the dial to be able to hear a few of them when they arent
directional (not in your direction).

660 kHz WFAN New York, NY 50kW

710 kHz WOR New York, NY 50kW

770 kHz WABC New York, NY 50kW

810 kHz WGY Schenectady, NY 50kW

880 kHz WCBS New York, NY 50kW

1010 kHz WINS New York, NY 50kW

1050 kHz WEVD New York, NY 50kW

1130 kHz WBBR New York, NY 50kW

1180 kHz WHAM Rochester, NY 50kW

1520 kHz WWKB Buffalo, NY 50KW

1540 kHz WPTR Albany, NY 50KW

1560 kHz WQEW New York, NY 50KW

Below is a link to the rest of the heavy hitters in the US and Mexico.

http://www.ac6v.com/clearam.htm#USA

Old October 12th 03, 02:23 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Michael wrote:
I have never been able to hear KTRH here. Although 50kw is strong enough to
make it all the way here to NJ, there are other stations between NJ and TX
that almost always get in the way. Currently, on 740 I'm hearing a
talk/news station in an Oriental language. It's not a local station or a
distant 50kw powerhouse, but it's too strong a signal to allow me to hear
KTRH.

Here in the Nashville area, KTRH has been heard but only rarely. CHWO
(Toronto) and KRMG (Tulsa) are the dominant signals on 740.

KTRH is directional at night, protecting Toronto. That's probably why
it's not being heard in the NYC area.

I *think* the Oriental-language station is WGSM on Long Island. It's
supposed to be parallel to 1430 in Newark.

I can hear a lot of the 50kw MW stations in the US including, at rare times
on a
clear night, 580 KMJ in Fresno CA. The difference between me being able to
hear KMJ at times and not KTRH is a simple matter of what other stations get
in the way.

?! That would be quite a catch.

660 kHz WFAN New York, NY 50kW

non-directional

710 kHz WOR New York, NY 50kW

directional, not sure what it protects

770 kHz WABC New York, NY 50kW
810 kHz WGY Schenectady, NY 50kW
880 kHz WCBS New York, NY 50kW

all three non-directional

1010 kHz WINS New York, NY 50kW
1050 kHz WEVD New York, NY 50kW

Directional, not sure what they protect but definitely Toronto on both
frequencies.

1130 kHz WBBR New York, NY 50kW

Directional, protects Vancouver and probably Shreveport.

1180 kHz WHAM Rochester, NY 50kW

Non-directional.

1520 kHz WWKB Buffalo, NY 50KW

Directional, protects Oklahoma City.

1540 kHz WPTR Albany, NY 50KW

Directional, protects the Bahamas and Waterloo Iowa.

1560 kHz WQEW New York, NY 50KW

Directional, protects Cuba and Bakersfield CA.

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old October 12th 03, 02:54 AM
Michael

The Best of Coast To Coast coming in quite well here in North NJ from WHAS
in Louisville, KY at 2:00 UTC. The subjects of the show at the moment are
"matter transportation" and "mater transformation" :-)

I'm always amazed at how good WHAS sounds here. 1100 WTAM Cleveland, OH &
1110WBT Charlotte, NC are also sounding good tonight as usual.