Old October 10th 03, 06:35 PM
justemoi

Default Signal echo on 12.172

I've never posted to this group, but read it almost daily.
Thanks to all for being such courteous posters. This
is not seen in very many Usenet groups.

I've owned a Realistic DX-392 for several years and have
been using it a lot over the past year.

I have a piece of insulated blasting wire running down the
center of the place where I live attached to the external antenna
with an alligator clip. It is fully open in the front
half with bedrooms and bathroom in the back half.
40 ft.X 30 ft.

I also have the antenna grounded to the cold water pipe.

Today I've noticed a severe background echo while listening to
the Alex Jones show on 12.172. The signal is really strong
and the weather is sunny and clear.

The echo is really annoying and I've never heard it before.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this
and if there is a way to stop it???

------------------
{0
)
{0

Justemoi
I'm "Just Me"
------------------
Old October 10th 03, 09:32 PM
Warpcore

Probably not. It is not a problem of any kind with your radio, just the way
the signal travels in the atmosphere. You are getting reflections. the
signal is coming at you from two different angles, kind of like if
headlights hit you in the face directly from in front, and at the same time
they are reflected off something else too and get you from another angle.

Old October 10th 03, 10:51 PM
Stephan Grossklass

justemoi schrieb:

Today I've noticed a severe background echo while listening to
the Alex Jones show on 12.172. The signal is really strong
and the weather is sunny and clear.

The echo is really annoying and I've never heard it before.

That's usually two way propagation - once from the transmitter on the
short path (shortest possible connection to you), once on the long path
(the other way round the globe - even if radio waves travel 300,000
km/s, the greatest distance possible is around 40,000 km, which makes
about a 133 ms delay max). Can also be satellite feed related if a
station uses two different transmitters (say, on different continents)
on the same frequency.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/ | Webm.: http://www.i24.com/
PC#6: i440LX, 2xCel300A, 448 MB, 18 GB, ATI AGP 32 MB, 110W
Old October 11th 03, 01:06 AM
justemoi

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:32:08 GMT, "Warpcore" wrote:

Probably not. It is not a problem of any kind with your radio, just the way
the signal travels in the atmosphere.

I am really careful with this radio, so I knew it wasn't a problem
with it, especially since other channels were clear. It has given
me many hours of listening pleasure. I really enjoy listening to
the ham operators on SSB at night with it.

You are getting reflections. the
signal is coming at you from two different angles, kind of like if
headlights hit you in the face directly from in front, and at the same time
they are reflected off something else too and get you from another angle.

Since my post, WWRB reported that transmitter 4 was up and running and
they are still in the testing stage. It went off the air at 4 pm EST
to tweak the transmitter. It's possible it was on their end.

------------------
{0
)
{0

Justemoi
I'm "Just Me"
------------------

Old October 11th 03, 01:25 AM
justemoi

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:51:53 +0200, Stephan Grossklass
wrote:

That's usually two way propagation - once from the transmitter on the
short path (shortest possible connection to you), once on the long path
(the other way round the globe - even if radio waves travel 300,000
km/s, the greatest distance possible is around 40,000 km, which makes
about a 133 ms delay max). Can also be satellite feed related if a
station uses two different transmitters (say, on different continents)
on the same frequency.

Stephan

The echo was approximately 2 or 3 seconds and faint in the background,
but loud enough to cause the brain to absorb what was being said
again, and try to digest the present speech.

Sort of a loop de loop de loop de loop .....

I didn't realize that the signal could go both directions.

WWRB was severely over modulating, the speaker was vibrating even at
low volume; so the signal seemed to be boosted (to the point of being
illegal). I'm not sure of maximum wattage allowed in the U.S.

At 4 pm EST, they went off the air for transmitter tweaking.

This is also their new transmitter 4.

Whatever this new transmitter is, it sure packs a punch.

Thank you for replying.

------------------
{0
)
{0

Justemoi
I'm "Just Me"
------------------

Old October 11th 03, 07:04 AM
WShoots1

That's usually two way propagation - once from the transmitter on the short
path (shortest possible connection to you), once on the long path (the other
way round the globe

I believe that can also happen when both the ground wave and the skywave are
received.

Bill, K5BY
Old October 11th 03, 07:06 AM
WShoots1

Come to think of it, the past several days, I've heard one or two other
stations on 12.172 besides WWRB. I tune to 9.320, instead, for cleaner albeit
weaker copy.

Bill, K5BY
Old October 11th 03, 10:45 AM
justemoi

On 11 Oct 2003 06:06:30 GMT, (WShoots1) wrote:

Come to think of it, the past several days, I've heard one or two other
stations on 12.172 besides WWRB. I tune to 9.320, instead, for cleaner albeit
weaker copy.

Bill, K5BY

The "other" signal was definitely WWRB. It sounded like a snaky mimer
of Alex Jones acting like a smart alec or should I say a "smart
Alex".....

I have 9.320 saved in memory [1], 12.172 memory [2] and
12.160 memory [3]

I didn't think at the time to try 9.320. It's usually flaky and
doesn't like the computer or television signal coming from
the far living room corner. The front part of the cottage where I
live is a combination of kitchen and living room.

My DX-392 is on top of the fridge. I have moved it around to try to
improve 9.320, but the comp/tv problem remains. 9.850 is the
same especially between 8 and 9 am EST. From 9-11 am
9.850 comes in clear as a bell.

These two frequencies seem to be the only ones bothered by the
computer and tv. I've tried turning them both off to improve reception
of SSB amateur radio between 3.700 to 3.900 after dark, but there
is no change. I like to multi task (literally) keeping the news or
weather channel on muted and the Internet connected downloading
or browsing at will.

I have a "Sanyo" dual cassette/am/fm/sw1/sw2 in my bedroom which hates
the close proximity of 12.160 and 12.172 and it is really hard to
tune. The tuner pointer is off by a mile. I have to have the DX-392
pre-tuned to find the same frequency on the Sanyo. The digital tuner
on the DX-392 is a real blessing.

------------------
{0
)
{0

Justemoi
I'm "Just Me"
Old October 11th 03, 02:06 PM
Warpcore

I thought I read somewhere that shortwave signals can get into a temporary
"conduit" in the atmosphere ?