Old October 18th 03, 06:56 AM
starman

Michael wrote:

Hiya..

Any offerings regarding the longest distance MW, AM broadcast that you ever
got ???

I guess it would be PJB Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles on 800-Khz. I've
never had any luck with catching a west coast MW station from my QTH in
the NE-US, but I have never built a good MW antenna for that purpose
either.

Old October 18th 03, 11:20 AM
Bill Hennessy

I picked up a station in Mexico city from the Texas hill country. With a
crystal set.

Old October 18th 03, 11:55 AM
--exray--

Ian Smith wrote:

From here in Scotland, managed Beijing, China on 1521kHz at winter
sunset via polar route. Got to be at least 4000 miles. Probably high power
transmitter.

Scotland to Beijing = 4925 miles. Nice catch.

-BM

Old October 18th 03, 12:03 PM
--exray--

Check this out....

http://www.geocities.com/MarkWA1ION/nfdx2001.htm

Old October 18th 03, 01:19 PM
Paulb

Dxers in New Zealand and Australia have heard European MW stations,
which is about as far as you can get. Sorry I've not got the details
to hand

--
Paul

Old October 18th 03, 02:37 PM
Tony Meloche

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

Tony Meloche wrote:
I also pulled CMBV from Wajay, Cuba not long ago, which was my first
foreign (excluding Canada) AM broadcast. That's about 1350 miles from
where I live now, but it is listed as a 500,000W station! But it was a
heck of a kick to know I was listening to an ordinary AM station from
another part of the world.

Most observers believe many of the Cuban stations listed with extremely
high powers are not using anywhere near as much power as listed. (with
the loosening of relations between Russia and Cuba, they're having an
electricity crisis and power for operating broadcast transmitters is
scarce) It's quite likely CMBV's power was a lot close to 50,000W,
making it an even better catch!
--
Doug Smith W9WI

Thanks, Doug - I had thought myself that that was possible - one
should be able to hear a 500,000K AM station from Cuba at night in
Michigan on a pocket transistor radio!

Tony

Old October 18th 03, 02:56 PM
porcupine

KORL 650 Honolulu, from Albany NY, in 1965.

Respondents note: there is no "t" in my email address.
Old October 18th 03, 04:47 PM
Stan Barr

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 23:39:30 GMT, Michael wrote:
Hiya..

Any offerings regarding the longest distance MW, AM broadcast that you ever
got ???

Mine, here in NJ, has been: 580 KMJ in Fresno, CA. It's a 50KW station
that I have been able to hear a few times during exceptional MW conditions.
I had to use SSB, NB, several tweaks to the pbt and my "Frankenstein"
antenna, but I was able to hear the station ID.

Any other war stories out there ???

Not the most distant MW stations I've ever heard, but latley I've been
able to hear quite a few US stations here on Merseyside. WINS has been
particularly strong. A couple of years ago an oldies record show on a
Canadian station (CJON??) was extremely strong and I would have liked to
have phoned up with a record request but they only gave out an 800 number
which you can't call from abroad :-(

--
Cheers,
Stan Barr stanb .at. dial .dot. pipex .dot. com

The future was never like this!
Old October 18th 03, 07:46 PM
elg110254

Here in Sactown, back in the late 80s, heard Trans World Radio, 800 khz,
Bonaire(as clear as a Radio Netherlands broadcast)on a Realistic car receiver!
Got home, and tried to tune it in on a Panasonic RF-2200 (my main s.w. rig of
that time), and nothing. Went back out to the car, and heard nothing but
ststic.
Old October 18th 03, 09:41 PM
J999w

I've heard 730khz XEX Mexico City here in Milwaukee with a cheapie Walmart boom
box with it's filters wide as a barn door.

jw
wb9uai
milwaukee