Old October 28th 03, 07:58 PM
Jerry

Default Antenna help

Due to the area I live in, I have to conceal my antenna. I was going
to run a wire 30 feet from my upstairs window to the far corner of my
screened porch. I could also angle back and continue from the corner
of the porch to my chimney for an additional 25 feet. The angle formed
by the triangle window-porch-chimney is about 50 degrees, so the wire
runs 30 feet then angles 130 degrees and runs 25 feet more. My
question
is will the extra 25 feet angled off add anything significant to the
performance over the first 30 feet? The second 25 feet is not as
concealed as the first 30 feet, so I don't want it if it adds little,
but will chance it if it offers a lot. Thanks.
Old October 28th 03, 08:36 PM
Harris

Jerry wrote:

Due to the area I live in, I have to conceal my antenna. I was going
to run a wire 30 feet from my upstairs window to the far corner of my
screened porch. I could also angle back and continue from the corner
of the porch to my chimney for an additional 25 feet. The angle formed
by the triangle window-porch-chimney is about 50 degrees, so the wire
runs 30 feet then angles 130 degrees and runs 25 feet more. My
question
is will the extra 25 feet angled off add anything significant to the
performance over the first 30 feet? The second 25 feet is not as
concealed as the first 30 feet, so I don't want it if it adds little,
but will chance it if it offers a lot.

It will help somewhat (especially on the lower frequencies), but not as
much as the first 30 feet. If your radio lacks sensitivity, the extra
length may be worth it. What are they gonna do, shoot you if they find yer
little wire? ;-

Art N2AH
Old October 28th 03, 08:52 PM
Brenda Ann

"Harris" wrote in message
Jerry wrote:

[...]

Some covenant communities have exceptionally draconian rules, and you sign a
contract that actually allows the community to expel you for violation of
the smallest of the rules. I've actually read one such contract, for a
tract of land we were going to buy (until we got that contract in the
mail... little things the realtor didn't bother to tell us on the
phone.... )

Old October 29th 03, 01:55 AM
The Axelrods

I have found that in some situations that the added length will
halp....have never lived any place where a straight antenna was an option
--
73 and Best of DX
Shawn Axelrod

Visit the AMANDX DX site with info for the new or experienced listener:

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/index.html

REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER

Old October 29th 03, 04:37 AM
RHF

Jerry,

Two Questions:

1. Are you allowed to have a DSS 18" Dish on the outside of your
house ?
- - - Or do you have Cable TV to/in your house.

2. Can you have the DSS Coax Cable showing on the outside of the
house?
- - - Do you have Cable TV Cable showing on the outside of your house?

If the Answers to either or both #1 and #2 are YES: You do not have a
problem with wires on the side of your house.

If the Answers to #1 and #2 are NO: Consider an "In-the-Attic"
Antenna.

The easiest way to 'hide' wires on a house/building is to use an
"Insulated" Wire with an insulation Color that 'matches' the color of
the house or its trim.
- - - Or stretch out some plain white insulated wire and paint the
wire to match the color of the house.

Two General Statements about 'most' Antennas:
* The Longer the Better.
* The Higher the Better.

So adding an extra 25Ft to the original 30Ft just about doubles the
length of the Antenna. (This is Good.)

Having an External "OutSide" Antenna is nice idea; but don't forget
the Ground and Grounding Wire that goes with it.

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = Jerry

Old October 29th 03, 08:15 AM
Gregg

Behold, Brenda Ann signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

snip

Some covenant communities have exceptionally draconian rules, and you
sign a contract that actually allows the community to expel you for
violation of the smallest of the rules. I've actually read one such
contract, for a tract of land we were going to buy (until we got that
contract in the mail... little things the realtor didn't bother to tell
us on the phone.... )

Aiiiyiyiyi - tell me about it. Those contracts are defacto standard here
in Canada for condo "owners" :-(

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Old October 29th 03, 02:49 PM
Jerry

Federal law allows an 18" dish, but cable and all utilities are to
be hidden or underground. I am using 18 guage insulated wire, and I
chose a gray since I thought it would be less noticable with the sky
as the background. I wanted to make it as long as possible,
and my question was does angling back at 150 degrees
for the second 25 feet still count as a longer wire. Is the
extra signal the same as if the wire were straight? Thanks.

On 28 Oct 2003 20:37:06 -0800, (RHF) wrote:

[...]

.
.
= = = Jerry

Old October 29th 03, 03:18 PM
Dave Holford

Gregg wrote:

Behold, Brenda Ann signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

snip

Some covenant communities have exceptionally draconian rules, and you
sign a contract that actually allows the community to expel you for
violation of the smallest of the rules. I've actually read one such
contract, for a tract of land we were going to buy (until we got that
contract in the mail... little things the realtor didn't bother to tell
us on the phone.... )

Aiiiyiyiyi - tell me about it. Those contracts are defacto standard here
in Canada for condo "owners" :-(

--
Gregg

I encountered a house rental in Ottawa which prohibited any 'radio
equipment', I tried to point out that this would not permit me to have a
radio, television or cell phone. It was impossible to get anyone to even
discuss this nonsense.

Dave
Old October 29th 03, 05:45 PM
Current_gothic

Actually where we are living it is an older neighbor hood and older
houses. For my shortwave radio i run a Wire antenna that is in my
bedroom and runs out in to the hall way. and then another one that
runs out my Front bedroom window runs across the side of the house and
is tied on to a wind Vain on a shed. works good......... and i also
have a Antron 99 ..18 Foot cb antenna on the top of the house
about 4 feet up off the house and then its 18 feet long... im i
guess lucky to be living where i am right know...

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 21:53:32 GMT, Tig wrote:

Just moved into a new home in suburban chicago and I want to put up a
good antenna that will allow me to pull in some of the signals that I
couldnt pick up before with the whip antenna that came with my radio.
Right now, I have a Sony sw7600 and a radio shack dx-394. Was
wondering if anyone could help me out with some antenna advice. Would
like to make something simple, and as clandestine as possible to avoid
any nagging neighbors and a wife before I got married, I had a long
wire antenna running the distance of my old houses' yard, along a
chain link fence that was better than the whip, but I would love to
get the best reception possible, and I dont think that would work
here, Any help would be appreciated. A little info on the house,
split level ranch, aluminum gutters and fascia, and I Have two 35
foot + pine trees in front of the house that could act as masts, as
well as a maple tree in the back yard and a wooden picket fence. Hope
someone could help the non-techy newbie!
Thanks in advance
Ed

The Wizard (channels 19,11,27,35..on the CB)
VE3010SWL-Professional shortwave listener
NAMA1380-Professional scanner operator

Keep your heads up high but your antennas up higher
Old October 29th 03, 07:29 PM
RHF

Jerry,

The Simple "Random" Wire Antenna . . .
- - - Why Longer is Better - Bends and All !

What you have at 30 Feet or 55 Feet (30Ft + 25 Ft) is a simple 'end
feed' Random Wire Antenna. YES a Random Wire Antenna NOT a
"Longwire" Antenna.

NOTE: Your did not mention a Coax Cable FeedLine or a Balun/Matching
Transformer being used with this Random Wire Antenna. Or the fact
that you are using a Ground or not.

This type of Random Wire Antenna is generally viewed as being
Omni-Directional.
IMHO: A 150* Bend in this Random Wire Antenna will not cause any
problems with a "Receive-Only" SWL Antenna and may help to enhance its
signal gathering ability from all directions. (This is Good.)

GOOD: 30 Feet Length Antenna Equals (ruffly) :
* One Full Wave Length at 33.5 MHz
* Half Wave Length at 16.8 MHz
* Quarter Wave Length at 8.4 MHz

BETTER: 55 Feet Length Antenna Equals (ruffly) :
* One Full Wave Length at 18.3 MHz
* Half Wave Length at 9.1 MHz
* Quarter Wave Length at 4.6 MHz

FWIW: Adding the EXTRA 25 Feet would 'on paper' improve the range
(bands) of frequencies that your Random Wire Antenna would cover.

TBL: The "Bend" will do no harm. Do Not Worry about the Bend.

SAFETY: With ALL External "OutSide" Antennas: It is Recommended
that a good Electrical Ground be use for Safety. A Ground can also
'improve' your RF signal reception when used with and Antenna.

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = Jerry