Old November 9th 03, 06:43 PM
Pierre L

"starman" wrote in message

Have you ever used a digital receiver with a tuning knob? The better
ones all have a knob in addition to the keypad.

I think there's more to it than the type of knob. I think it may be seeing
the actual tuning scales. Our minds probably function more as a super analog
computer, and analog things are easier to see and judge. Same as with
digital watches vs those with hands, I guess. We can see numbers on a
digital display, but we can't see the pattern they fit in.
Pierre

Old November 9th 03, 08:14 PM
donutbandit

starman wrote in :

Have you ever used a digital receiver with a tuning knob? The better
ones all have a knob in addition to the keypad.

Yep, and I have yet to find one that isn't a PITA.
Old November 9th 03, 09:04 PM
RHF

Stinger,

What I like about the Grundig S350 is that I can "Tune" and 'operate'
the radio with my Big old Fingers and Tired old Eyes (without
glasses).

The GS350 'sounds good' and is very portable with a very long battery
life just like the GE Superadios and the CCRadios.

~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Stinger"
= = = wrote in message ...
If it's anywhere near as much fun to use as my little $40 Grundig FR-200,
it's a great little radio.

-- Stinger

Stinger,

That's about it the Grundig S350 radio fits the niche between the GE
Superadio III and the CCRadioPlus+.

It has Two (2) Speed Annalog Tuning Knob and a Digital Frequency
Display.

Plus more AM/MW DXing features then either the the GE Superadio III or
the CCRadioPlus+

~ RHF

.

.

Old November 9th 03, 09:11 PM
Carl Solomon

The best of both worlds for me was analog tuning (happened to be an
HQ-180) with an external frequency counter for digital readout. That
enabled rapid scanning of the SW spectrum without having to search in 1
MHz segments, or have the tuning speed go so fast that everything would
go "pip...pip...pip...etc". And I could go back and find anything! Only
thing it lacked were memories. Frequency stability wasn't what today's
solid-state digital radios are, but it was quite acceptable. No digital
radio I'm aware of could match that for browsing thru the bands and
"stoping on a dime" with a precise frequency reading when hearing
something of interest.

/Carl - W5SU

Pierre L wrote:

I have two very good digital tuning shortwave radios, one with synchronous
sideband, but I find myself choosing to play with and listen to the little
analog tuning portable I have most of the time. I like to be able to scan
the bands by hand with the dial and to see where I am. When I let the
digital do this automatically, it just doesn't seem the same. I just don't
derive the same pleasure from the digital tuning, and I have no plans to
ever be a part of digital radio.

Anyone else feel like that? Maybe it's because my first shortwave was in the
1960's.

Pierre

Old November 9th 03, 09:45 PM
Stinger

I notice it's not very expensive, either. You guys told me I'd be
collecting radios ;^)

-- Stinger
om...

Old November 10th 03, 05:37 AM
WShoots1

Stinger: I think the Grundig S350 is exactly that. I haven't used one, but
that is what I understand the features are.

No, the 350 is about like the jWIN, tuning-wise. What I'd like is an analog
dial with analog tuning, but with a digital readout to provide the actual
frequency (as opposed to using crystal markers and analog dial correction). It
would require an analog receiver, with a frequency counter that would read the
freq diff between the LO and the IF output. Or something like that.

Bill, K5BY
Old November 10th 03, 05:44 AM
WShoots1

K9SW: Many years ago, sonny, many radios had analog tuning and a digital
readout. State of the art back then!

Please refresh my memory, Dave OM. Since 1945, I've worked on many things,
military and civilian, made all over the world, and I don't recall any. I'm not
referring to features like that of the Collins R390, which is just a mechanical
version of the Grundigs. I'm looking for a real analog dial and real analog
tuning, but with a digital readout a la the Grundigs.

Tnx es 73,
Bill, K5BY
Old November 10th 03, 05:53 AM
WShoots1

Jim: i had an old firestone console all my childhood and early adulthood. it
had flywheel tuning that must of weighed a pound, split-gear backlash control
and 6v6 output tubes into a 12 inch speaker. even my cheap sangean portables
that i have now are far superior in every way but one. there is little
satisfaction with any of them. i am not "one with my radio" like i once was. my
old radio was an extension of my senses....

There ya go... It's not that I'm old and jaded that I look upon modern radios
as appliances. It's because of like you so well stated.

Back in my early ham days, peaking and dipping transmitters, for instance, was
part of the fun. That's why I liked the marine work I did before retirement.
One still had to dip and peak the shipboard transmitters.

I enjoyed working on old foreign made tube type receivers, too. When they
worked right and the band was open, there was none of that confounded noise
floor inherent in solid state receivers. If a station was transmitting anywhere
in the world, it probably could be heard.

(Sigh...)
Bill, K5BY
Old November 10th 03, 06:12 AM
Mark S. Holden

WShoots1 wrote:

Stinger: I think the Grundig S350 is exactly that. I haven't used one, but
that is what I understand the features are.

No, the 350 is about like the jWIN, tuning-wise. What I'd like is an analog
dial with analog tuning, but with a digital readout to provide the actual
frequency (as opposed to using crystal markers and analog dial correction). It
would require an analog receiver, with a frequency counter that would read the
freq diff between the LO and the IF output. Or something like that.

Bill, K5BY

Here's a place that sells a kit for a compact LCD frequency display that does exactly what you'd want. They can be programed for a variety of IF frequencies.

He's recently added two new options- a txco reference oscillator and a fluorescent display.

http://www.aade.com/dfd.htm

He seemed like a nice guy when I bought a kit from him.
Old November 10th 03, 06:22 AM
Tony Meloche

WShoots1 wrote:

Jim: i had an old firestone console all my childhood and early adulthood. it
had flywheel tuning that must of weighed a pound, split-gear backlash control
and 6v6 output tubes into a 12 inch speaker. even my cheap sangean portables
that i have now are far superior in every way but one. there is little
satisfaction with any of them. i am not "one with my radio" like i once was. my
old radio was an extension of my senses....

I don't neccesarily long to go back to that time, but I do remember
it - my first DX machine was a 1937 Zenith console. One huge round
glass window as the dial face, with a "magic eye" tuner, and two 6L6GC's
as the output (one of which was removed because the caps were so bad
that it hummed unbearably with both of them in). The actual dial knob
was about the size of a fifty-cent piece, but the cap of a Right Guard
aerosol can (remember that stuff?) fit over it perfectly, and gave extra
leverage to the flywheel. Oh, to give that a good, snapping twist and
watch that dial pointer swing so smooooothly half-way across the dial .
.. .

But I used *it* then, and I'm using a *modern* rig now, and the
modern rigs are better in almost every way but one - the romance of it.
But nostalgia ain't what it used to be, either. One week with the old
Zentih now, and I'd probably be begging for my R75 back.

Tony