Old November 11th 03, 06:27 PM
Mark S. Holden

Soliloquy wrote:

Clock trivia, notice the display on clocks that use Roman numerals. It
goes I, II, III, IIII, IV, V, VI, VII, IX, X, XI, XII. Standard Roman
numerals denote IIII as IV. The Non-Standard application above is used to
keep symmetry in the display, keeping the character use in units of 4. (4
all Is, 4 with Vs, 4 with Xs) Not all clock with Roman numerals use this
system, but the use is widespread..

I've never seen a clock face with IIII AND IV on it.
Old November 12th 03, 02:25 AM
Diverd4777

In article . edu, William
Mutch writes:

Where I work there is a clock who'se face has been altered to
read:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C

Nice !!!

Old November 12th 03, 02:41 AM
Soliloquy

William Mutch wrote in
ell.edu:

We have PLCs at work, Allen Bradley, and they use Octal for the numbering
system. For the longest time, I wondered why the electronics department
have the schematics hand scribbled "actual slot 8" for the slot that the
schematic has labeled as having an address of 10. It's quite easy using
the octal addresses.

Fortunately we don't do any programming, so all we need to do is to find
the correct input/output and look for voltages and logic states.

Now Hex, I think that would make things a little harder for me to
understand. But I like the clock idea, that would be a great conversation
piece.

Regards

In article ,
says...

"snip"

The arbitrary sacrifice of Analog Displays by the younger generations
is truly a sad thing. I have seen teenagers unable to tell the time
on an analog clock.

We do not have digital minds, and digital electronics are not
necessarily bringing the bliss to society that the modern public has
been programmed...

Old November 12th 03, 02:45 AM
Soliloquy

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in
:

Am I missing something? I notice that you have capitalized "AND" in the
sentence excerpt "IIII AND IV on it."

I've never seen a clock with both on it either. But the IIII or the IV are
common Roman numeral markings on clocks.

Regards.

Old November 12th 03, 03:19 AM
WShoots1

Panasonic RF- 2600, 2800, 2900, 4800, 4900

Sony ICF- 6500W, 6800W CRF-1, 320A, 330K

Thanks, Starman. I must admit my experience has been with comm receivers, not
shortwavers. Bob also pretty much answered my question, Panasonic-wise.

And, Bob, I'd buy your dream receiver. I'd want one little thing, though: an
antenna trimmer.

And they can leave out the battery power option. A serious receiver wouldn't be
operated portable, not here anyhow. I don't even operate my DX-392 portable.
(It eats D cells.) Now I would want a slope-faced case. The usual little stands
are too much angle. Or else, make the stands adjustable.

Bill, K5BY
Old November 12th 03, 03:24 AM
WShoots1

I've never seen a Roman numeral clock without an VIII, either. G

Bill, KVBY
Old November 12th 03, 03:29 AM
WShoots1

Then there's the Aggie clock (clockwise):

12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

Bill, K5BY
Old November 12th 03, 04:07 AM
Mark S. Holden

WShoots1 wrote:

I've never seen a Roman numeral clock without an VIII, either. G

Bill, KVBY

I guess if you put 4 on there twice, you have to drop one of them.

But I do remember seeing a clock with each hour marked "5" and the face read "No Cocktails before 5 O'clock"
Old November 12th 03, 04:18 AM
DougVL

You can add a digital dial to many radios by getting a kit from

http://www.aade.com/

I haven't tried any yet myself, but I'd sure like to.

Doug, K8RFT

"WShoots1" wrote in message
Stinger: I think the Grundig S350 is exactly that. I haven't used one,

but
that is what I understand the features are.

No, the 350 is about like the jWIN, tuning-wise. What I'd like is an

analog
dial with analog tuning, but with a digital readout to provide the actual
frequency (as opposed to using crystal markers and analog dial

correction). It
would require an analog receiver, with a frequency counter that would read

the
freq diff between the LO and the IF output. Or something like that.

Bill, K5BY